Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24

Author Topic: Cogmind 7DRL (sci-fi roguelike from the creator of X@COM)  (Read 113087 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Cogmind (new sci-fi RL from the creator of X@COM)
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2012, 01:12:20 pm »

How much matter does it consume? That might also be an issue, seeing as you need to shoot stuff up to get it...
This is a blank sig.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 29, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »

Jeeze, I got one of my skype friends addicted to this game. He's doing much better than me :P I'll tell him to submit a high score asap.

As for me, I'll keep attempting to get past level 2... I clear an entire level before going further, so even though I found the stairs and was satisfied with my build, I'm still exploring to find new stashes and kill everything that moves.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 29, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

Gotta love how replaceable everything is. But its kinda sad when you lose your stuff. Which happens to me every time, after which I run around with just my core until I find some stairs.

Peak State
------------
Power
  Light Nuclear Core
Propulsion
  Armored Wheel
  Armored Wheel
  Improved Flight Unit
Utility
  Large Storage Unit
  Propulsion Shielding
  Visual Processing Unit
Weapon
  EMP Blaster
  EMP Blaster

EMP Blasters are the shit. Sadly some Y-s shot em both off, which lead to me doing a wild dash for the next level. Which happened to be filled to the brim with g-s. Also found 3 prototypes in the same room. All of them were faulty and blew off 2 of my wheels.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:19 pm »

Kaboom- oh well.  Couldn't find the exit- just a couple uppercase B.

Peak State
------------
Power
  Micro Fission Core
  Micro Fission Core
Propulsion
  Improved Flight Unit
  Improved Flight Unit
  Electron Diverter
  VTOL Module
  Electron Diverter
Utility
  Weight Redist.System
  Advanced Weight Redist.System
  Advanced ECM Suite
  Advanced ECM Suite
  Advanced Power Amplifier
  Advanced Power Amplifier
Weapon
  Mini Smartbomb Launcher

Advanced power amps are pretty sweet, though electron diverters really suck up too much energy to be useful.  Improved jet thrusters/flight units are still awesome.

I wanted to cry when I found a room with three heavy shock bomb launchers and I had to leave them behind...
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 29, 2012, 01:36:46 pm »

uppercase B.
  Micro Fission Core
  Electron Diverter
  Advanced Power Amplifier
  Mini Smartbomb Launcher
heavy shock bomb launcher
Which level was that? o_0 And how did you begin the game, before finding IFUs and VTOLs?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 29, 2012, 02:02:05 pm »

Third level of factory, I think (6/Factory)

I started with hover units and generally avoiding combat.  It's not really hard early on since you can just outrun everything at 222%.  Once you find decent flight, you can do 500% easily.  I found a regular weight dist. unit and ECM early, which helped me leapfrog nastier groups- just hide around the corner until full energy then cut on everything and mad dash through.

The mini smartbombs make a big boom and only weigh three- I screwed myself a bit by catching myself in the blast.

And let me repeat my love and adoration for shock bomb launchers.  Seriously, try them.  All the fun of rocket launchers with most of the salvage!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »

I've just crashed out of both games I tried on fix5. Sadly, I forgot to copy the error text from run.log for the first one, but it occured when I had just picked up a flight unit with 'a' while 'p' was enabled. The turn before, I'd autoequipped another flight unit, and I noticed that the display didn't update my movement away from core.

Second crash happened when I tried to drop an equipped Terrain Scanner, which would've fallen to the ground, since I didn't have any extra inventory space.
Run.log:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #142 on: March 29, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »

and the fact that, so long as you are within vision of ANY robot, they know where you are doesn't help.

I don't think that last part is true.

From Kyzrati:

The important part in that: Most enemies know about you only when they see you, and only notify allies who are within their alert range, which varies by robot. Watchers should always be a top kill priority because they have a huge alert range and can call enemies from all over the place to come get you!
AlStar is right, they don't always know where you are. It's all handled on an individual robot-by-robot basis. Do any of you ever actually use sensors? They are awesome, and the long-range versions will also allow you to see what the enemy robots are doing, and you can study their behavior that way if you like. Take out a Watcher and steal its scanning equipment--later on a good sensor and interpreter can tell you exactly what class a robot is, through walls, up to 18-25 spaces in every direction...

Argh. So, can serfs alert nearby guards, then, without actually signaling the alarm like a watcher? Because in one game, I did have sensors equipped. In fact, I ran away and hid in the corner of a small room hoping that they'd patrol right past, since I could see them. Then a serf comes in and they swarm kill me.
Non-combat robots do not alert allies of your presence unless you shoot at them. There must've been some other reason they found you. One likely possibility is that they were headed into that room to begin with (don't know what you mean by "guards", Grunts or Sentries?). When I have sensors, I wait out patrolling groups fairly often, but they can still decide to check out a room (has nothing to do with you being there).

Wow, using the mouse with the invisible cursor, now there's a hybrid I didn't expect :D
That's what I'm doing too, mostly because I don't know of any way to scroll the inventory via keyboard. :D
Use bracket keys (it's on the command list).

Do any of you ever actually use sensors? They are awesome, and the long-range versions will also allow you to see what the enemy robots are doing, and you can study their behavior that way if you like. Take out a Watcher and steal its scanning equipment--later on a good sensor and interpreter can tell you exactly what class a robot is, through walls, up to 18-25 spaces in every direction...
To use sensors you have to find a sensor array and a processor and they take up two utility slots while being far less of a priority than storage tanks or targeting computers. So it's no wonder people prefer to use their visual processing. :D
"Far less a priority" is an opinion, though. I would prefer sensor information any day. Superior tactical information is very, very useful. One way to manage all that is to have more utility slots. I'm one of those players who puts everything I can into utilities, precisely for that reason.

Also, I found that some utilities are faaaaar too specialized to be of any use. For example, core heat shield: it only prevents heat damage, only to the core and only in 40% of cases. That's ridiculous. At the very least it should be something like 80% if not all 100%.
but remember that these aren't designed to be most useful to your robot, they were part of a robot designed for some other purpose that, when attached to your robot, has these specific characteristics.  Whether they're useful or not at any point in time is the decisions you have to make.
There are better heat shields later (70% and 100%), and they are totally useful for some builds. In the early game heat isn't much of an issue, but by the mid- to late-game, overheating engines becomes a lot more common if you are using thermal weapons (esp. if facing off against other robots with thermal weapons). Some of the more powerful energy cannons create over 100 heat per shot. Have just a few of those, combined with insulation from armor, heat transfer from enemy thermal shots, and if you are low on heat sinks you will be overheating like crazy. Most common / first thing to happen will be all your engines shutting down one by one. Not fun.

Made it to research. Its all purplely.  :o
How?! Which build did you use and which parts did you find?
So I stuck with the rather fast basic hover, when you don't have any propulsion.
From there, it was a simple act of dodging everything.
So that's how you did it... It'll work to a point, though a complete escape that way would be pretty difficult since the later levels aren't as forgiving to naked cores.

Could we pleeeease have full screen log window now? And 'closest enemy' setting for auto-targeting. And an option to fast-swap an equipped item and an item in my inventory. And a way to save all the options I have to reset every game. And a way to see the detailed percentages before firing.Then my arrogant face will be happy. ^_^
Are you sure about that? ;)
Those things are all on the to-do list, I just released fix5 before I put them in.

Oh hey, first crash. Several enemies were on the screen, specifically a pest and an engineer. I pressed x, then tab twice. Either after the first or the second tab the game crashed.

Bugs ahoy!
That was an unidentified fast-attached gun, by the way. And after I tried to remove it (dunno whether I had space in inventory) the game crashed.
Yeah, I released before testing much, just because I wanted to get it the new action out there.  It was late, and I coded it the easiest way I could think of, without thoroughly checking all the possible consequences...

I've pulled fix5 from the site--everyone should stick with fix4 (once again available for download)

Also, it would be awesome if for future versions you greatly lessened the number of utilities, combining their functions. For example, a basic sensor array and a single type of processor that fully identifies the object, because processors that merely tell you the size of the target are... not exactly useful.
I split those two apart very intentionally, because having all that information in one package would be way too useful. And as for distinguishing the size of an unseen enemy, it can actually be pretty useful in certain situations (esp. if you have a long-range sensor but have yet to find a better processor).

Advanced power amps are pretty sweet, though electron diverters really suck up too much energy to be useful.  Improved jet thrusters/flight units are still awesome.
That is a very nice build. And with two advanced ECMs... you must've been able to shake almost anyone on your tail.

I've just crashed out of both games I tried on fix5. Sadly, I forgot to copy the error text from run.log for the first one, but it occured when I had just picked up a flight unit with 'a' while 'p' was enabled. The turn before, I'd autoequipped another flight unit, and I noticed that the display didn't update my movement away from core.

Second crash happened when I tried to drop an equipped Terrain Scanner, which would've fallen to the ground, since I didn't have any extra inventory space.
Run.log:
Thanks so much for the report. I'll have it fixed soon. (Too bad I'll be busy almost all of today, though. Might not get around to fix6 until tonight.)
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #143 on: March 29, 2012, 09:24:40 pm »

I lied.

Fix6 is out--it's just a fix for the new problems introduced in fix5. So now you should be able to upgrade and get your nice new fast attach w/auto-activation.

* FIX: Fast attach action no longer crashes on full inventory
* FIX: New auto-targeting system will no longer crash in look mode
(The above list looks shorter than the number/type of crashes that were just reported, but they were pretty much all stemming from #1 there)

It turns out the crash never would've happened if I wasn't releasing the game with extra error information. It wouldn't have attached for you, for sure, but the debugging fallback is what caused the actual crash. Oops. Easily resolved, though.

New features will have to wait for fix7.

EDIT:
What to expect:
-hot swapping (inventory<->parts)
-game config/options saved (weren't enough of them earlier to bother, now there's quite a few)
-"closest armed enemy" auto-targeting preference
-new log window (this might be pushed back to fix8, how many people want this?)
-etc
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:29:34 pm by Kyzrati »
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:48 pm »

I have to say, the accuracy/missing/aiming calculations could use some work at extreme close range.  If you're standing right next to a target, you're apparently hardcoded to miss if your percentages aren't good enough.  I've been following an Engineer around shooting at it with two light Assault Rifles, and some of the shots are going straight backwards from me.  I don't really care that much if you're doomed to miss shots even at arms' reach, but it could be a little less obvious.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 01:49:55 am »

You're certainly not hardcoded to miss, it's just done by the percentages (which should be pretty reasonable at close range, provided other non-range factors don't get in the way). The reason it's shooting "backwards" (or sometimes missiles fly "sideways," which looks kinda funny) actually has to do with the particle engine, not the game mechanics.

I know about that issue, I just have yet to do anything about it. Once it's determined you've missed, the particle engine gets a random target somewhere in the vicinity of what you were shooting at and fires at that instead. This is why you can still hit your target even if it was reported as a miss, because the randomly chosen target was directly behind your intended target. (So you get lucky.)

Since you've brought it up I'll look into fixing it. Once I fix it, "misses" at point blank should be even more likely to hit the target anyway.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2012, 03:28:35 am »

Since you've brought it up I'll look into fixing it. Once I fix it, "misses" at point blank should be even more likely to hit the target anyway.
How are you going to fix it?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 05:30:10 am »

After firing from a beam projector the game froze. First there appeared a red line over Cogmind, hang there for several seconds then disappeared and now the game doesn't answer to my commands, however I still can select things with my mouse.

Also, an idea for the future: maybe rate the misses by degree of severity, somehow like this:
The maximum percentage of hitting + 0-5: close miss, the projectile flies at the target;
The maximum percentage of hitting + 5-10: minor miss, projectile flies in the general direction of the target;
The maximum percentage of hitting + 30-40: catastrophic miss, projectile flies backwards or explodes under your feet.

For example, if you have a chance of hitting 70% and RNG gives you 79, that would be classified as a minor miss. However, if RNG gives 79 with 40% chance of hitting, that would be a catastrophic miss.

That would IMO prevent strange setups like shot flying backwards at the almost-perfect hit chance of 95%.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2012, 05:59:41 am »

Just had to pipe in to say this little gem is crazily fun. If you have the time to spare from X@COM, I encourage you to keep working on it.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2012, 06:39:20 am »

How are you going to fix it?
It should pick a random target within a reasonable forward range of you; right now it's probably picking from a random area anywhere within a certain range of the target, which would obviously include areas behind you if you are close enough to that target.

Also, an idea for the future: maybe rate the misses by degree of severity, somehow like this:
The maximum percentage of hitting + 0-5: close miss, the projectile flies at the target;
The maximum percentage of hitting + 5-10: minor miss, projectile flies in the general direction of the target;
The maximum percentage of hitting + 30-40: catastrophic miss, projectile flies backwards or explodes under your feet.

For example, if you have a chance of hitting 70% and RNG gives you 79, that would be classified as a minor miss. However, if RNG gives 79 with 40% chance of hitting, that would be a catastrophic miss.

That would IMO prevent strange setups like shot flying backwards at the almost-perfect hit chance of 95%.
Yeah, it would help to have some visual reinforcement as to how much you missed by. Right now it's pretty random. Wouldn't be too hard to change. No matter your chance of hitting though, shots should never be flying backwards, so once I remove that it'll be less of an issue either way.

After firing from a beam projector the game froze. First there appeared a red line over Cogmind, hang there for several seconds then disappeared and now the game doesn't answer to my commands, however I still can select things with my mouse.
Still able to select things with your mouse? Do you mean get scan info by hovering over them? Sounds like the particle engine might've gone into an infinite loop from a bad particle. I thought I had a last resort check on that like X@COM does, but maybe I don't. I'll have a look at the beam projector particle script and see if that might be it.

Right now there still seem to be some inventory-related problems with fix6 as well (Gimlet has provided me with some logs from crashed games), so maybe I didn't get them all. I'm leaving the DL link for fix4 up on the site if anyone new wants to play a more stable version.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:44:23 am by Kyzrati »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 24