Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: DF Army Mod  (Read 3711 times)

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
DF Army Mod
« on: March 24, 2012, 08:26:11 am »

I'm just wondering if there is any idea as to when this mod will be being worked on and eventually released? This is the one thing I'm looking most towards! :) :) :) :) Although, everything you release and do for this game is fantastic and appreciated!
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: DF Army Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:30:20 am »

...what?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 08:31:00 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 08:35:00 am »

Developments page>Military> (right down near the bottom of the page)

Dwarven armies
> Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
> Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
> Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
> Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site[/li][/list]
All dwarfs have beards and wear up to twelve layers of clothing. Gender is more or less optional. - Terry Pratchett "Guards, Guards"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:06 am »

Dwarven armies
> Ability to send out fortress dwarves to lead larger groups of surrounding dwarves out around mid-level maps (or just go alone)
> Ability to send equipment and fortress dwarves out to train surrounding dwarves
> Ability to attack sites and entity populations with your dwarven armies
> Ability to set fires and select supplies to haul back when sacking a site

One, this should be in suggestion forum... i think. (and probably already got suggested)
two, i think this is a more long-term goal for when toady picks up the army arc again.
three, how would you ever get enough dorfs to do something like that?
four, that wouldnt even be a mod.

jeez, its like the minecraft forum all over again.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 08:39:44 am »

We only just got ze vampires and ze werekittens, and Toady is working on bugfixes at the moment.

Another major update is probably going to take quite a while.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 08:40:36 am »

bottom of the page

This should tell you something.  Also it's not a "mod" but an "arc".  A development arc, in which Toady goes through a cycle of developing certain aspects more than others.  We're currently in the Caravan Arc, in which Toady works on economy, trade, etc.  I think we've been in the caravan arc for ~18 months or so now.  Maybe more like 12.  All things considered, Army Arc will probably be getting interesting in... 5-6 years from now, ~2018.  It's a journey, not a destination.

Also your familiar "you" there is misplaced.  Toady reads the forums but rarely responds to them.  Here, you're talking to the forumites, it's only in rare places like "Future of the Fortress" where he actively responds to players, and even there he won't answer pointless questions like "when are you going to x".  He'll do it when he does and he's not going to change his development cycle because someone asked.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:02:17 am »

Why...

jdiddleymspot

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:06:11 am »

I was merely curious and I didn't demand or request him to change anything. Thanks for the input!

I'll try to read around the nerd rage I seemed to have found myself in here and look to the more informative parts of the above posts. The sound thrashing was no doubt well deserved I'm sure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 09:08:10 am »

Ok, there are so many things wrong with this thread to even address without tl;dr

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 09:08:37 am »

I do love to see people get feisty. =3
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43:11 am »

Oh this was funny.
And if you think this was nerd rage, you haven't seen what this forum can produce...
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 09:52:19 am »

This is pretty much the only legitimate anger I've seen from the forum since I started reading 15 months ago. And even then its mostly light ribbing and a sound explanation of the situation.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 11:57:25 am »

This is pretty much the only legitimate anger I've seen from the forum since I started reading 15 months ago. And even then its mostly light ribbing and a sound explanation of the situation.
True, these forums are in some state of permanent !!insanity!!, but anger isnt really produced, and people that play dwarf fortress usually arent dumb, so these threads are kinda rare.

Pages: [1] 2 3