Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Engineer  (Read 565 times)

Raunyc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarven Engineer
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:28:34 am »

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before, I did some browsing, and didn't see it...

Imagine you have a dwarf who's sole job is running around your fort looking for new ideas for traps, armor, weapons...

For example, you use a lot of stone fall traps, and have a volcano nearby, so the engineer decides "I would like to drop flaming rocks from our stonefall traps" and does some work (we're talking weeks to years depending on complexity). Or say you have an over abundance of cats and siege weapons, maybe he'll decide to make a cat cannon siege weapon, loaded with all those cats, when fired they splatter all over your enemies (Lots of cleanup, but no more catsplosions :o).  If you have an abundance of something, it's more likely that he'll get ideas using those items... The possibilities can be infinite, flame jet traps, ice slicks, tanks, turrets, golems, etc.

Kind of like the scientists in I think it was Evil Genius...

Just an idea of something I think could add to the game.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Engineer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:02:37 am »

He could be a noble.

The procces could me.

Enginner cancels sleep-Stricken by inspiration!

"I NEED STEEL"

"I NEED BOULDERS"

"I NEED BONES"

This is a Steel catapult, it is studded with sea otter bones! It fires boulders at foes at (lighting, quick, average, slow) speed!

Mandates can be made by him to actully USE these

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!"

"USE MY STEEL-A-PULT!"

The said item is now useable by the fortress, and by the civilization (and others) if there diplomat sees it.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 10:44:49 am »

But what is the player supposed to do then?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 10:50:29 am »

The thing about scientists in Evil Genius is that there was a "Tech Tree" of traps to be invented, and you were just unlocking new ones as time went on.

If you look in the devpages, there are plans to rework the ways in which all traps and mechanics work based upon The Additional Mechanics Wishlist, which is a very long-running thread where people have put in ideas on specific things they would like to see in terms of mechanics.

This includes removing all current traps and seige engines, and replacing them with much more complex systems, and is eventually going to go into the game, so if you haven't read through that thread, then it's something worth reading. 

As traps will no longer be "ready-made" one-step traps, but instead based upon multi-tile devices that players have to engineer themselves, it will basically all be up to player ingenuity, rather than the dwarves themselves to come up with more elaborate traps.

Feel free to add to that list if there's something else you think of, there's no penalty for keeping old threads alive in the Suggestions Forum.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Raunyc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »

Edit: I'm dumb.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 04:36:33 pm by Raunyc »