Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Honey as a substitute for antibiotics  (Read 2798 times)

titlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Honey as a substitute for antibiotics
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:44:51 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

Ancient Roman doctors used Honey instead of antibiotics
and it actually worked pretty well.

Maybe it could be featured in game to be used to cure the infection.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Honey as a substitute for antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:52 pm »

I support this suggestion.  In game terms, honey could be used as a substitute for soap in a hospital?
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:50:51 pm »

You should check out Buzzin' Beard's thread.

He's an experienced beekeeper, and his thread went through all the possible uses of honey someone who is quite knowledgeable in the field could come up with, including uses as disinfectants and food preservatives.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

titlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »

wow... It is eye-opening for me.
Honey Industry could be even more useful if featured properly.....

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:57:42 pm »

Wow... No offense but the Romans were idiotic.

They had perfectly good antibiotics and chose to use Honey a vastly inferior product.

titlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 10:00:23 pm »

They had perfectly good antibiotics and chose to use Honey a vastly inferior product.

Of course They didn't know about antibiotics at all at that time.
I just meant they used honey as antibiotics not instead of antibiotics.
And they were quite smart.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 10:14:42 pm »

I'm not certain on this, but I believe that the ancient Romans used honey as a topical antibiotic, for cuts and scratches, to prevent infection.  (I think they might also have used it on bigger wounds as well, for the same reason.) 

They didn't use it the way we might use penicillin, to eliminate an existing infection.

Basically they used it the way we use hydrogen peroxide now.
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:16:46 pm »

Thats the joke. You said they used Honey INSTEAD of antibiotics.

titlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:19:49 pm »

Thats the joke. You said they used Honey INSTEAD of antibiotics.

yeah my bad :(

titlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:20:27 pm »

I'm not certain on this, but I believe that the ancient Romans used honey as a topical antibiotic, for cuts and scratches, to prevent infection.  (I think they might also have used it on bigger wounds as well, for the same reason.) 

They didn't use it the way we might use penicillin, to eliminate an existing infection.

Basically they used it the way we use hydrogen peroxide now.

I'm not certain either, but I've heard something about eating honey to resist infection.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 10:29:42 pm »

Like much of the things in DF, honey comes from a time when humans had rather limited resources with regards to chemicals, and as such, anything that was naturally occurring and relatively useful was used to the fullest extent they knew how.

Many plants, animal products, and even waste products were used for their chemical properties in far more ways than we would consider using them now, when we have chemistry advanced to the point where we don't think about where we get the stuff that comes out of plastic bottles. 

Ammonia, for example, is a common cleaning chemical, (whose chemical compound is NH3) used in a wide range of everyday purposes, including as one of the most common forms of fertilizer in the world... but it originally comes from Lant, which is distilled from CO(NH2)2 Urea, the "active ingredient" in a certain common waste product of humans and animals alike. 

Lant was once so valuable to so many industries (as it was a binding chemical for dyes, cleaning agent for both floors and clothing, fertilizer, and even a component for the making of gunpowder as a source of nitrates for saltpeter) that it was actually a crime in some areas to throw out your pee instead of letting it be harvested for its full economic potential.

Lant was even used as a food preservative, itself, especially on pastries, since it made them seem to shine in the sun. 

Now don't you want to go experience the medieval lifestyle a little?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:38:03 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku

Lant was once so valuable to so many industries (as it was a binding chemical for dyes, cleaning agent for both floors and clothing, fertilizer, and even a component for the making of gunpowder as a source of nitrates for saltpeter) that it was actually a crime in some areas to throw out your pee instead of letting it be harvested for its full economic potential.

Lant was even used as a food preservative, itself, especially on pastries, since it made them seem to shine in the sun. 

This was actually a major industry in ancient Rome, if I recall correctly.

Sadly, I'm now imagining the alchemical usefulness of +dragon urine+ in-game.

titlis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku

This was actually a major industry in ancient Rome, if I recall correctly.

Sadly, I'm now imagining the alchemical usefulness of +dragon urine+ in-game.

Like much of the things in DF, honey comes from a time when humans had rather limited resources with regards to chemicals, and as such, anything that was naturally occurring and relatively useful was used to the fullest extent they knew how.

Many plants, animal products, and even waste products were used for their chemical properties in far more ways than we would consider using them now, when we have chemistry advanced to the point where we don't think about where we get the stuff that comes out of plastic bottles. 

Ammonia, for example, is a common cleaning chemical, (whose chemical compound is NH3) used in a wide range of everyday purposes, including as one of the most common forms of fertilizer in the world... but it originally comes from Lant, which is distilled from CO(NH2)2 Urea, the "active ingredient" in a certain common waste product of humans and animals alike. 

YEAH! Another things to be suggested

Urine Industry!

We should use barrels for collecting pees

and make another guilt.
"Charged for throw away pees"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 10:49:39 pm »

YEAH! Another things to be suggested

Urine Industry!

We should use barrels for collecting pees

and make another guilt.
"Charged for throw away pees"

Unfortunately, the uses for urine have been quite heavily debated already, so I wouldn't recommend making another thread on the topic.  (Although feel free to revive one of those, if you like.)

In general, Toady likes the idea of fertilizers and lant and such, but there are too many people arguing against it, afraid that it will make people associate the game with "throwing poo".
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare