Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Animal Training update  (Read 50581 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Training update
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 11:58:02 pm »

Or stick the non-domestic critters in some place where it doesn't matter if they go feral. A goblin execution pit comes to mind.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 01:22:59 am »

So what do we know about taming and training now? You need a kennels? You need a training zone. Some creatures need to be in cages of restrained (which ones, when, restrained in the zone?) .... What determines if a creature can be trained for war or hunting?

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 01:47:44 am »

What determines if a creature can be trained for war or hunting?

The tag [TRAINABLE] should fill the purpose of allowing a creature to be trained for war and hunting purposes.  [TRAINABLE_HUNTING] and [TRAINABLE_WAR] should allow for the training of only that specific action.  The tag [TRAINABLE] is still located in the dog entry under creature_domestic.txt so that likely hasn’t changed.

Here’s the entry for dog on the wiki.  Some of the information may be out of date but it should give you a good place to start if you’re looking to do comparisons: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Dog

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 03:21:06 am »

Hmm, thanks. I am curious about what we can work out in-game. Don't want to have to review txt files just to work out what creature can do what. Hmmm.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2012, 03:39:59 am »

It seems that, until a species is completely domesticated, it can revert to wild from any training level.
[Signature]

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2012, 05:23:10 am »

So: The transistion to the new update has caused a series of fist-fights in protes from the hordes of shoeless, naked children who just realized that they're embarassed. If my long-running fortress falls because of a trouser shortage I'm going to have a laughing heart attack.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2012, 06:46:02 am »

You can now also assign animals specifically. So if you want the Dwarf who likes rhinos for their horniness to have a war rhino pet; you can assign it. It won't pick whatever animal is next to assign like it used to.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2012, 08:25:12 am »

Once you've had your dwarves train something enough times you get this message

and it appears in the z -> animals bit as

in case anyone was wondering :3
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2012, 09:23:04 am »

I don't see dwarves actually visiting my animals (I caged them all on the training zone, just to be sure). I think they might train/tame telepathically!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2012, 11:30:59 am »

I'm wondering now if knowing a lot about one type of animal will also help with related animals... I just got some dingoes on my map and captured a couple. My civ, according to the overall training tab, doesn't have specific knowledge of dingoes at any level, but training one took it straight to "well-trained," whereas the capybara and rattlesnakes I'd trained went to "semi-wild" after the first training.

Of course I guess maybe it's a matter of skill as well, I didn't catch who was training the thing or what their skill level is. But it's something to watch.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2012, 11:43:33 am »

So if you want the Dwarf who likes rhinos for their horniness
I see what you did there!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 11:52:57 am »

Does anyone know if it's possible to war- or hunting-train more species now? I have a load of semi-wild wolves that are begging to be turned into vicious killers.
[Signature]

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 11:54:37 am »

Does anyone know if it's possible to war- or hunting-train more species now? I have a load of semi-wild wolves that are begging to be turned into vicious killers.
I think that would be possible, but train those into hunting, and the next generation completely tamed wolves trained into war wolves.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »

Ive been watching my Elk birds be trained - here's how the process worked for me. The tamers will grab a snack that the Elk Bird would appreciate (which seemed to be fish) and then goes to the Elk Bird cage and trains it. After it reaches trained status I let them out into an enclosure and then the trainer dwarves will keep training them up occasionally. My plan is to wait until they have children and then just butcher the "trained" adults for safety and try to get their kids to "Tame".

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2012, 12:37:50 pm »

So if you want the Dwarf who likes rhinos for their horniness
I see what you did there!

Did you see him nicking that pun from me? No? Well, he did.  >:(

Aaaanyway. Giant wrens. Ten or so. 5 of them are in cages and the others are guarding the cages so my dwarfs daren't go near.  :-\
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9