Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Interest in forum vs. forum Pacific War?  (Read 6299 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Interest in forum vs. forum Pacific War?
« on: March 23, 2012, 10:00:15 am »

So, I just finished reading Ian W. Toll's excellent history of the first six months or so of the Pacific Theater (The Crucible), and that got me in the mood for some Pacific Theater action. Unfortunately, there aren't many options: there's the beer-and-pretzels War Plan Pacific, which struck me as a bit simpler than I'd like. Obviously, there's War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition, but that costs a whole pile of money, and, as far as I can tell from Erkki's excellent and entertaining AARs, is only playable by Finnish robots.

I'm not a Finnish robot, so I poked around Matrix's website a bit more and found their (free!) re-release of the 1992 classic Gary Grigsby's Pacific War. It uses a one-week turn (which makes a real-time Pacific Theater plausible), strikes a good balance between simplicity and complexity, has an easily-available and easily-understandable rulebook, and has delightfully retro graphics which I wouldn't have to crop (like I do with Arsenal of Democracy).

Unfortunately, my choices for that seem to be the old SSI version acquired from an abandonware website somewhere, which has a decent AI (for a game from 1992, anyway) and a much better scoring/victory points system, but significantly worse aircraft modeling and a few pretty nasty bugs, or the Matrix edition, which fixes the bugs and the aircraft modeling, but gimps the AI while removing AI Japan's oil issues, introduces a few problems with aircraft availability dates, and fiddles with the scoring/victory points system such that the Allies always win (which is historical but boring). To complicate things, there are some modified scenarios that fix most of the issues with the Matrix edition, but further break the AI.

That led me to the idea I presented in the title of this thread. Rather than deal with any of those problems, I could run it as a grand-scale community game: Bay12 vs. some other forum, playing the role of the respective general staffs while I play as sort of a referee. Obviously I'd have to finish my Arsenal of Democracy AAR first, which makes this something of a long-term plan, but I'm mostly just feeling for interest right now anyway.

What do you guys think?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Interest in forum vs. forum Pacific War?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:33:58 pm »

I am so into this it hurts :)

I am absolutely fascinated with the Pacific Theatre - mostly the air and naval war. Haven't read The Crucible yet - is it any good? I've tended to focus on isolated battles and the more human and technical aspect of the war. I miss the overview...

What other forum would we be battling against? :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:47:38 pm by Anvilfolk »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:42:20 am »

I have little (more than none, but it's not my favorite by far) interest in naval warfare, but I'd like to see a working Forum vs Forum game- count me in.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:46:13 am »

In like an inthing.
This is a blank sig.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 01:29:09 pm »

I am so into this it hurts :)

I am absolutely fascinated with the Pacific Theatre - mostly the air and naval war. Haven't read The Crucible yet - is it any good? I've tended to focus on isolated battles and the more human and technical aspect of the war. I miss the overview...

What other forum would we be battling against? :D

The Crucible is a pretty darned good overview of prewar to Midway. I don't think it's up to the same standard as Six Frigates (Toll's other book, on the US Navy from 1787 to 1815), but it's still an engaging read. He puts a lot of focus on the people rather than the history

As for the opponent forum, I haven't decided. I'll look around when I'm closer to kicking this off.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:10:16 pm »

Count me in.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Xanatos Jr.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 02:13:11 pm »

Inner than an...uh...in.
"My Little Space Marine"
Featuring a precocious chapter librarian, his pet servitor, and their wacky bunch of battle-brothers.  Watch as they learn the true meaning of undying devotion to the Emperor while creatively solving conflicts both in the ranks and on the battlefield.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

Facing another forum in what is essentially Planes And Carriers: the war?

Hell yes
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 03:13:24 pm »

Great. I wouldn't expect anything to come of this before about the end of summer, but in the interim you can have a look at this stuff if you're interested in getting a feel for the game (it's got manuals and the modified scenarios I'd like to use).

If I can tear myself away from Rise of Flight tonight, you can expect an Arsenal of Democracy update.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:46 pm »

Can't wait to get a computer that runs Rise of Flight decently (although I think IL2 stole my heart permanently). Low FPS just doesn't do it for flight sims. I'll also have to have a look at your AoD LP... probably going to lose a few hours with that :)

By the way:

Code: [Select]
You don't have permission to access /pacific-war/wga-amplified-rulebook-100511.pdf on this server.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 03:52:50 pm »

Interesting idea.  Is this game accessible enough that I could pick it up and join the team?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »

Arsenal of Democracy update.

This is great news.

And I'm love to see this forum crush and destroy some other forum.  Because we love difficulty here, you'd have to play Japan.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 04:21:28 pm »

question: would we have to download the game for this, or can we just submit orders through the forum?
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 04:21:39 pm »

Having read the manual, Japan might actually have some good early advantages, especially if we deviate from thier historical approach...
This is a blank sig.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »

Can't wait to get a computer that runs Rise of Flight decently (although I think IL2 stole my heart permanently). Low FPS just doesn't do it for flight sims. I'll also have to have a look at your AoD LP... probably going to lose a few hours with that :)

By the way:

Code: [Select]
You don't have permission to access /pacific-war/wga-amplified-rulebook-100511.pdf on this server.

Fixed those permissions.

IL-2 used to have my heart, but Rise of Flight has soooo much more character.

Interesting idea.  Is this game accessible enough that I could pick it up and join the team?

Probably. On a scale of Tic-Tac-Toe to Actually Commanding A Real War, I'd put it at about a 7-- it's on the order of a complex board wargame. The detail is finer than, say, Arsenal of Democracy, but it's probably easier to play. The interface is probably more problematic than the mechanics.

question: would we have to download the game for this, or can we just submit orders through the forum?

You'd be playing the role of, say, CINCPAC and CINCH, or the Japanese Naval General Staff and Combined Fleet-- submitting orders and targets for task forces, missions for air wings, and such, and I'd be inputting the orders for you and the other forum, summing up the turns, putting up the combat replay for each turn, and maybe providing saved games for your perusal.

And I'm love to see this forum crush and destroy some other forum.  Because we love difficulty here, you'd have to play Japan.

That would be up to you guys. My ideal role in this would be 'put in pre-arranged orders, report results'.
Pages: [1] 2 3