Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Interest in forum vs. forum Pacific War?  (Read 6295 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Interest in forum vs. forum Pacific War?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »

Oh man, we should choose sides already and start planning! And then totally forget all the orders, but still!

I'm totally fine with either side :)

Also, yeah, those WWI planes ooze personality :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 04:37:19 pm »

Is it too early to lay claim to some roles? I fancy being in charge of the Japanese Subs... I have some big plans that would mesh well with overall grand strategies and fit more localized tactical manouvering if the need arises.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:40:30 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:39:07 pm »

I would second playing as Japan.

some sort of initial forces map would be nice whenever you get around to it.

If we can start claiming roes, I'd like a small ship squadron
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 05:28:26 pm »

If we were the allies then we could each assume the role of a different nation's high command.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:42 pm »

If we were the allies then we could each assume the role of a different nation's high command.
I'm pretty sure it's just the Americans and Imperial Japan in this game

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:36:33 pm »

I'm saying we'd all make the calls depending on the nationality of the units.

I'm trying to download this from the matrix website and it keeps timing out.  Puzzling.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 07:03:29 pm »

I put the game archive there too. You'll need Dosbox, like as not.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 07:13:33 pm »

Can't seem to access it

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 07:25:45 pm »

I put the game archive there too. You'll need Dosbox, like as not.

Put it where?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »

Here. My VPS provider is incompetent, though, and the node hosting me appears to be melting at the moment.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 02:40:24 pm »

Any chance of uploading it elsewhere?

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 11:55:13 am »

Between playing the next few months in my Arsenal of Democracy AAR, writing for the tabletop game I run, and all the other stuff I have to do this weekend, I'm hoping to start a game of Pacific War (probably playing against myself, since the AI is allegedly mediocre and the aim is, after all, to try things out) to acquaint myself with the system. I'll probably put some tips and tricks in this thread.

The first one: as Japan, some bugs in the routine convoy system can lead to terrible oil depletion problems that aren't supposed to exist.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 07:56:47 am »

Heh, I didnt even notice this thread until yesterday. Count me in, though I wont be having much free time(from this "real life" as well as the witpae pbem, and some other games(such as lately, more and more DF)) until second half of May or so.

One thing I'd like to say about ROF vs. Il-2.

In ROF(and with il2's biplanes) the aircraft are very maneuverable compared to their speeds. This means even high relative speed advantages can be difficult to use as even after a 180 turn the slower foe is very likely to still be within effective range of his weapons. This means the battles very often develop into turning contests and scissors where one cannot disengage because he/she'd get shot in the back.

WW2 high power monoplanes on the other hand are faster and while they have much more firepower(sometimes enough to cut the other guy in half with just one quick burst) the higher speeds IMHO favor more tactical battles with less turning and more use of the space in vertical too. With the biplanes each "kill" requires lots of turning and scissoring, with WW2 planes a kill is often from complete or partial surprise bounce, a high deflection shot or teamwork(drag & bag, sandwich etc.) used to give someone a firing opportunity. Naturally if one ticks off some of the difficulty settings the Il-2 can be just as dogfightey turning-yank-and-bank brawling as ROF and biplane battles in general but I dont play on those servers any way.  ;D

Someone else can probably describe it better but thats how I visualize the difference, and prefer the latter, even if time to time the lethality of the weapons annoy me, when I'm at the receiving end of them.  ;)

EDIT couldnt find the il2 thread anywhere in the last 3 pages here so I'll add it here. A quickie il2 vid I made some time ago, online @ CZ_AH. Enjoy.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sq_uOyqWKo
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:31:04 am by Erkki »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 12:30:39 pm »

To some degree, that's correct-- even late-war rockets like the Spad 13 and S.E.5a require team tactics, an altitude advantage, or a good sense of when to waste energy on instantaneous turns to turn an encounter into a win.

On the other hand, some of the difficulties in extending in Rise of Flight stem from the fact that (for whatever reason; some suspect it's a simulation issue, others call it the fact that the average RoF multiplayer pilot has orders of magnitude more combat experience than the average WWI combat pilot) gunnery in Rise of Flight is significantly more accurate than it was historically-- I'm not unwilling to take shots at 150-200 meters, but most of the real WWI aces held their fire until they were much, much closer.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 01:26:28 am »

Great video! I absolutely loved the first part... the guy's just going along, and way out there in the back, you see this comet coming out of contrails... you just know the thing is going to end badly! I also felt tempted to claim these were your lucky shots that evening, but then I remember that memorable night when I flew with you.............. you wiped the floor with my ass in so many ways that I'm not even gonna dare say anything! ;)

I've talked with people that have their convergence all the way up to 500 yards in IL2, so I don't think it's just ROF. Heck, the people I fly with probably have thousands of hours in IL2. I have a feeling our skies are very much different from those of WW2. Oh, an interesting thing was the Night Witches... they were apparently hard to hit, since their plane's top speed was slower than the 109's stall speed ;) They apparently also used amazing tactics to come in and bomb undetected!

I'm still amazed by the records I keep reading. I just finished Pappy Boyington's memoir, and I've read a few others whose names escape me now, who claimed to have fired on enemies within less than a hundred feet (~30m), all the way down to seeing the exhaust and oil marks on the plane... How crazy is that? At least they got'em that way, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:40:09 am by Anvilfolk »
Pages: 1 [2] 3