Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will all my rotten clothes vanish?  (Read 7971 times)

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Will all my rotten clothes vanish?
« on: March 23, 2012, 09:15:24 am »

Will my frame rate rocket (or creep or lurch) skyward?

I am dying to load my fort up in .06, even if I have to forgo all the handy utilities.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will all my rotten clothes vanish?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:03 am »

You can patch up your save manually, and most new things will work.
What I'm curious about is, do i have to haul the cloth to the refuse pile to rot, or will it rot away on the battlefield?
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 09:20:22 am »

My Dwarves seem to be putting on better clothing, but storing the worn out stuff (XX) in their cabinets.

If you have a lot of children and no clothing for them, don't move your fortress yet.  They get upset now if they don't have shoes, shirts, and "covering" which I guess is trousers.  They are throwing tantrums in my 212 (now 211) inhabitant fortress with 97 children, and I just lost one to going berserk and being killed.  *laugh*
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:36:53 am »

My Dwarves seem to be putting on better clothing, but storing the worn out stuff (XX) in their cabinets.

If you have a lot of children and no clothing for them, don't move your fortress yet.  They get upset now if they don't have shoes, shirts, and "covering" which I guess is trousers.  They are throwing tantrums in my 212 (now 211) inhabitant fortress with 97 children, and I just lost one to going berserk and being killed.  *laugh*

Thank you for that bit of advice... I think I have a *lot* of clothing dropped by goblins available for claiming.  I also believe I have a lot of cloth available for clothesmaking so I could fire up .05 and grind out some pants and stuff first, just in case.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:39:35 am »

Toady said getting those thoughts would take awhile, I guess you didn't have a massive clothing industry already in place?

I wonder if the military will be affected by bad thoughts if they don't wear clothes under their armor?

as for putting xX socks Xx in their cabinents, their ownership won't expire there, but they might still rot away?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:48:44 am »

Toady said getting those thoughts would take awhile, I guess you didn't have a massive clothing industry already in place?

I wonder if the military will be affected by bad thoughts if they don't wear clothes under their armor?

as for putting xX socks Xx in their cabinents, their ownership won't expire there, but they might still rot away?
I have been playing for less than an hour - probably about one season in game time.  The children were completely naked, as they are born.  Probably being completely naked generates bad thoughts faster than just having worn out clothing. 

No, I did not have a massive clothing industry already in place.  Why would I?  *laugh*  I have adequate cloth and leather, but should go back to my 34.05 save and make the clothing before moving the fortress.

These were not xX clothes, they were XX.  We will see if they rot.

No military here, so can't say if the military will complain.  Probably not since boots are footwear and presumably leggings and armor count to cover the rest.

I must say it was satisfying to see the children put on some clothing.  The adults have started hoarding ornamentation in their rooms.  Rings, crowns, and so forth.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:58:03 am »

Let's just all consider ourselves lucky that we're not at the mercy of Textileomancers.

The horror, the horror.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:15:23 am »

I believe that Toady said they will rot away in the refuse pile, and they will be taken to the refuse pile when their ownership expires. Their ownership will expire if they don't touch something for a long time; say, old clothes in their cabinets. It should eventually be thrown away, causing everyone's FPS to blast off, to infinity and beyond, after all of those old, rotten clothes and claimed meals/drinks lose ownership and go to the refuse pile.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:33:43 am »

You speak as if this is a problem.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:53:13 am »

You speak as if this is a problem.
It is, to me.  :) 

It was definitely a problem when the next one went insane and destroyed one of the three drawbridge on the only route into the fortress, with about one-third of the population outdoors gathering goblin clothing.

It is a somewhat amusing mental image, of naked children going berserk and attacking their parents for the clothing on their backs.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 02:42:36 pm »

I think it does take a while, but if you port over an older fortress, the game can look and 'see' retroactively how long your dorfs have been running around nude and so you suddenly end up with a zillion dudes throwing fits suddenly.

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »

I just got my first Dwarf upset over worn clothing rotting away.   :D

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 04:03:04 pm »

I guess its a good thing my fort is only a year old. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Kumquat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:55 pm »

Ported over my .05 save and all dwarf-sized stuff I had in my cloth-goods stockpile got immediately nabbed up. Then I got tantruming children and quickly reclaimed the bottom of the drop-trap shaft too and all dumpster piles. Even then one child went berserk.

Seems that the time to bad thoughts is about one season, so better ramp up clothing stocks and industry before switching to .06. Most adults, save for the survivors of  the seven, still had something to wear and were quicker to claim stuff.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 05:14:30 pm »

Thanks to my 100 children in my ~6 year old fort (running around COMPLETELY NAKED), I've lost a few animals from berserking children and have had a lot of tantrums. Maybe it's time to set up a temporary sweat shop to produce hundreds of clothing items, cabinets and beds. I haven't made any bedrooms yet...
Pages: [1] 2