Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 86

Author Topic: Roll to Be Heroic (On hold)  (Read 177561 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Ok then.  I don't see any possible way that having flamethrowers could go wrong when you're in Central Park!

"Sounds easy enough. What's making them so dangerous, anyway? Equipment? Powers? Or are they just crazy?"
"Weapons and crazy.  Not many cops are able to deal when they see a buncha guys running around with RPGs, right?  So they've killed a whole lotta people in a few weeks and we can't nail 'em because they keep vanishing when we show up, and the mayor has the bright idea to use all the heroes he can find in order to save his reputation.  Sorry, I mean in order to save the city."

"Do you have a dart attachment for my rifle? I kind of forgot to bring one. Also, do those 'Hammers' usually murder, and if yes, who do they target?"
"A dart attachment, huh?  Hmm... maybe we can find something for you.  As for your second question, yeah, they kill.  Our profilers say that they don't care about who they're killing when they pop up, what they're looking for is attention, and causing mayhem is their way of getting it."

"You wouldn't mind lending me a pistol of some kind would you? It would be nice to have something with a bit of range and I forgot to get one before we left. But other than that, I think we have this handled if these guys are as good as I hear they are."
"Yeah, a pistol is easy enough."

After the questions had been asked Desmond turned to the rest of the team and finalized the plan - Nicholas and Ires at Central Park, Jennifer and Lisa at Times Square, and himself at the UN Headquarters.  With unanimous agreement, they headed off.
For the next few hours it was nothing but waiting.
Nicholas gave his prototype battle suit another inspection.  Power: 100%.  Weapons: ready to go.  Systems: good.  Condition: satisfactory.  Chance of catastrophic failure: low.  Hopefully.
In another part of the city, Lisa used her PDA to wirelessly hack into the security cameras around the Square.  Turning to Jenny, she added "I saw this in a movie once."  [3] It actually worked, but she couldn't send the feed back to the FDSPA base for some reason.  Since they weren't part of the mission anyway Lisa just kept an eye on the feed herself.
Over at the UN HQ, Desmond found himself alone with a SWAT team.  After a while, he turned to the nearest one and asked "Wasn't there supposed to be somebody else here?"
"Yep.  The way I hear it, besides you and your team there are three heroes working this case.  Anchorman, Quarterback, and the Electrician.  The Electrician.  Ah... here he comes now."
Desmond turned his attention to where the guy was looking and saw the man in powered armour flying towards them.  He'd heard about the Electrician before, of course.  Possibly the most famous of all superheroes, one of the first to be sanctioned when the Vigilante Act had been passed, one of the only heroes to have a public identity, reputed to place the law above all else.  One of a tiny handful of heroes capable of flight, and the only one not to use a jetpack or similar.
"Sorry I'm late, officers.  Traffic was brutal.  Ah, you're Steel Wall, aren't you?  One of the new heroes from, where was it, May Falls?  Aventin?  I must say I'm impressed by your work, and your ability set, it's pretty unique."
Desmond got his first good look at the other man.  His custom powered armour suit was uniquely sleek, providing less protection than most in exchange for speed and lightness.  Though they weren't apparent, Tesla coils and tasers were built into the suit, along with the electromagnets that let him fly.  On his chest was a small "electrical hazard" symbol, and on his back a short cape.
"Let's get started, then.  These people aren't going to protect itself.  I'll keep a watch from the sky."
Without waiting for a response he went straight up, then flew off west.  The SWAT officer Desmond had spoken to before looked back at him, eyes wide.
"You know, I... I forgot to ask for his autograph!"

After keeping watch for what felt like hours, the signal finally came.
"All units, Silver Hammers spotted at the ESB.  We're seeing just four... no, five."
At Times Square, Lisa jumped to her feet, ready to head off towards the Empire State Building.  Jenny grabbed her arm, just as screams started coming from the square.  Four Hammers had emerged out of the crowd.
At Central Park, Nicholas and Ires saw a small fire catch as three Silver Hammer goons stepped out of the trees.
At the UN Headquarters, Desmond was still on his own as four Hammers rushed out of one of the nearby buildings and started running towards a group of people that looked Very Important.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic (Now with no maps!)
« Reply #421 on: April 30, 2012, 06:42:18 pm »

Hmm, The Electrician. He supposed it was an honor to meet him-the man had done good work. Desmond remembered watching on the news when the Hero had single handedly taken down the "Necrolancer", a villainous metallurgist (and Medieval knight wanna-be) who had figured a way to animate corpses with technology-or black magic, whatever you like. That had been pretty down to the wire, and everyone had taken a breath of relief-if the madmen had even gotten to Woodlawn Cemetery, New York might have been lost. No one liked to think about close calls like that.

He nodded as The Electrician flew away, probably not wanting to engage in small talk.

Desmond spoke off evenhandedly to the Swat. "Well, You can always have my autograph..."

He was tying his shoe when the Hammers came rushing out of the building. Dammit.

Desmond broke into a sprint, pinging his comm. He felt a momentary panic, as his comm beeped a few more times. Simultaneous attacks. Either they were burning all their troops in one swoop...or they were testing defenses, seeing who was most vulnerable.

"Hostiles sighted, four of them. They're going after some civilians, I'm moving to cover them."

Action: Move to cover the civilians escape
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2012, 06:48:16 pm »

Nicholas watched the feed from his suit's screen and analyzed the Electrician's powered armor.
"My cape is bigger." He said to himself half-jokingly while giggling. Well, his suit was also meant to be agile, but he still lacked the finesse. At least it was flexible already.

Suddenly, he saw fire.
"It seems it is time to go. I will draw their attention while you pin them down with ranged fire."
He grasped the axe in the suit's right hand, the large sniper rifle firmly held in the remaining, and jumped down towards the ground, red cape flowing behind his armor like any hero before being blown off by their own stupidity.
A small cloud of dust lifted as he landed on the ground with a fairly low sound for a large amount of armor dropping to the ground.

Nicholas shoots one of the thugs with the dart gun and uses his power to drain the fire, releasing the heat in short bursts from his sides if it is needed so he won't overheat.

Oh wait, Background Energy Collection means I can actually support my own suit with thermal energy. I will try to improve on the energy collection module.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2012, 06:52:44 pm »

"Lisa, you get their attention, OK? I'll circle around, hit them from behind before they even know I'm there." With that, the delivery girl suddenly cloaked, vanishing completely from sight, and moved through the crowd.

Jenny asks Lisa to help her initiate a pincer attack, using invisibility and her hand-to-hand skills to strike from behind!
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:04 pm »

A wave of nerves washed over her as she saw the hammers, her first piece of action at last, and she was frozen for a moment. Then she remembered all the people that they killed, and suddenly it wasn't so hard anymore.

"Gotcha. Try to separate them and give me time to get close. We have to stop them from firing into the crowd!"

Throw a smoke grenade to a position away from the crowd then fire at them as I move away from the crowd and into the smoke, giving Jenny the chance to close ground, then once she has them distracted from behind, charge into close combat and drain away! Use the time moving through the crowd to drain some energy from people that I bump into to help me move faster.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:48:53 pm by Zako »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: April 30, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »

The Park was a nice place. Verdant colors of the same grass and a few trees dotting the area. Nothing like the outdoors, but at least people had some reason to keep the flora alive, other than beautification reasons, that is.

"Righty Ho then, providing suppressive fire." Ires replied, nocking an arrow after planting a few in the dirt in front of her.

Suppressive fire on the three goons! If possible, smokescreen on my position!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:25:29 pm by Tiruin »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic - Turn Forty-One! In which it goes down.
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2012, 01:08:21 pm »

Turn forty-one.  blah blah blah words blah blah

At the UN HQ,
Agent Green moved to cover the fleeing civilians and two of the Silver Hammers turned their attention to him.  The one coming up on his right had a spiked chain and the one on the left a scythe.  The SWAT team moved towards the other two, who ran into one of the nearby towers, just as the Electrician flew back and landed beside Desmond.  A few men who looked like bodyguards stepped out of the fleeing crowd, guns trained at both the Hammers and the heroes, just as some loud bangs and screams come from inside the nearby tower.

Current Status: Fighting
Spiked Chain Ganger: [healthy]
Scythe Wielder: [healthy]
Unknown Person: [unknown]

At Central Park,
Agent Fortmüller landed next to the startled Hammers, [2+1] shooting the nearest one with a dart, which bent and deflected off a metal plate the goon was wearing.  He took a moment to size up his opponents as he went to work on the fire: one guy with a chainsaw and metal plate, one guy with what looked like a sawed-off Uzi, and one with a bandolier of unlit Molotov cocktails, wearing an iron pot on his head.  [6] As he absorbed the heat from the fire and vented it back out of his suit the thermal readings began to spike, [5] but Nicholas was able to quickly divert the heat into the energy collection unit, giving the battle suit a quick burst of power.
Agent Reon covered Nicholas, placing a few arrows and a smoke grenade in the dirt and firing once at the Hammers.  [5+1] The arrow went into the face of the one with the chainsaw and out the back of his head, [3+1-1] and shattered one of the Molotov guy's bottles, as the smoke cloud went up and concealed Ires' position.

Current Status:  Fighting
Sawed-off Uzi Guy: [healthy]
Chainsaw Man: [deceased]
Molotov Cocktail Dude: [healthy]

At Times Square,
Agent Maxwell became invisible and dodged through the panicking crowd, trying to get behind the Silver Hammers.  However there didn't seem to be a "behind", as they'd taken a back-to-back diamond formation.  One harpoon gun, a pair of sai, an improvised aerosol flamethrower with a welding mask, and a combination of brass knuckles and knives strapped to the shoes.  The guy with the flamethrower had already singed the backs of a few unlucky people who didn't run fast enough.
Agent Conners hesitated for just a moment as she went into her first ever fight.  Thinking quickly she tossed a smoke grenade into where she judged the fewest people to be and moved into the cloud, waiting for Jenny to distract them from behind.  The moment didn't come, but Lisa was able to drain enough energy from people who bumped into her to get a good boost.

Aerosol Flamethrower Thug: [healthy]
Harpoon Gun Goon: [healthy]
Sai Criminal: [healthy]
Knuckles and Shoes Gangster: [healthy]

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:22:52 am by Remalle »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2012, 01:19:33 pm »

Desmond motioned for the Electrician to take the left one-his speed could nullify the advantage of the chains range, probably.

With that, he charged toward the Scythe-wielder, intending to get inside his guard and knock him to the ground.

Action: Engage the Scythe man at close range, where he can't use his weapon as well.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2012, 01:21:01 pm »

Nicholas roars before using the suit's burst of power to tackle the enemies, trying to shove the oversized sniper rifle's barrel in the molotov thug's face and blow his brains out, using the axe to cut the man with the Uzi in twain.

"Try to take down the one with the Uzi, I can handle fire better than bullets."
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14:35 pm »

Jenny lashed out with her grapnel to snag (and hopefully gain posession of) the harpoon gun.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 01, 2012, 05:24:53 pm »

Lisa clenched her teeth as she fired at the one with the flamethrower, aiming for the legs, as she began to charge. Halfway there, she switched the gun for her baton and used the extra energy to get that speed boost to surprise her soon to be punching bags.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 01, 2012, 06:08:37 pm »

Follow Nicholas' plan wordlessly, shoot at the lower body!

Then examine area.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be Heroic - Turn Forty-Two! In which there are no memes here
« Reply #432 on: May 01, 2012, 09:29:28 pm »

Turn forty-two.

At the UN HQ,
Agent Green motioned for the veteran hero to go for the Hammer with the spiked chain, going himself for the one with a scythe.  [5+1] He easily slipped under the man's sloppy swing and struck him in the throat, crushing it.  Beside him the Electrician let himself be wrapped by the chain and electrified his suit, shocking the other man and forcing him to drop his weapon.  There were a few more screams in the tower and finally the sound of shattering glass as one of the Hammers jumped out of a ground floor window, spotted the heroes and ran bleeding towards them, claymore in hands.

Spiked Chain Ganger: [healthy]
Scythe Wielder: [wounded (crushed trachea)]
Claymore User: [healthy]

At Central Park,
Agent Fortmüller [4+1] shoved his rifle in the face of the Molotov guy and fired, splattering brains over the last remaining thug.  With a burst of power he swung his axe at him, [2+1-1] but missed, felling a tree instead.
"Try to take down the one with the Uzi, I can handle fire better than bullets."
Agent Reon nodded and fired from the smoke cover, [3+1] nailing the last one in the gut.  As he fell he sprayed his gun wildly, (6) hitting Nicholas right in front of him and getting hit with the ricochets.  As Nicholas subdued the severely wounded man Ires searched the area the group had come out from.  [4] The thugs had started a small fire with a molotov cocktail and had had a MG-42 set up facing where most of the people were.  A crude trail lead further back into the woods, where Ires could just barely make out the outline of a metal hatch.

Current Status:  Searching
Sawed-off Uzi Guy: [subdued]
Chainsaw Man: [deceased]
Molotov Cocktail Dude: [deceased]

At Times Square,
Agent Maxwell invisibly grappled the harpoon gun man, [3+1] pulling him out of position toward her, but he retained possession of the gun.
"Invisible freak over here!"
Agent Conners fired at the flamethrower thug [4+1] and hit him straight through the heart.  She holstered the gun and drew her tactical baton as she charged, moving faster and faster, [5-1] and knocked down the thug with the sai before he knew what hit him.
The thug with the knife-shoes charged at Lisa wildly, flailing, (1) and stepped on his own foot.  He yelped as his own knife went through his toes.  The sai-guy got back to his feet and took a stance across from Lisa.  The one with the harpoon gun charged to where he though Jenny was pulling from, (3-1) but she dodged out of the way and got behind him.

Aerosol Flamethrower Thug: [deceased]
Harpoon Gun Goon: [healthy]
Sai Criminal: [prone]
Knuckles and Shoes Gangster: [wounded (laceration, left foot)]

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:18:25 am by Remalle »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 01, 2012, 09:38:51 pm »

After making sure there are no more fires, radioing the position of the subdued man and putting out any remaining embers, Nicholas took the MG-42 along with ammo and slung it across his back, keeping the axe and sniper rifle in his hands.

"It is better if I keep this out of the wrong hands. Now I guess we search the way they came from."

Nicholas uses the radio to communicate what he is doing and opens the hatch, getting inside in front of Ires.
>Yes?

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 01, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »

When the man charged past her, Jenny swept his feet out from under him and stomped on his neck in an attempt to break it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 86