Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When this character dies, what should we roll next? (Class will be random)

Octopode
- 16 (34%)
Tengu
- 7 (14.9%)
Draconian
- 17 (36.2%)
Centaur
- 6 (12.8%)
Other
- 1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Lets get killed in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup  (Read 21638 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets get killed in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2012, 03:10:25 pm »

I actually did potions first for exactly that reason, and switched to scrolls once I'd gotten Heal Wounds and Curing. Good advice overall, though.

I've never had a huge pile of identifiers this early before, and I know they tend to accumulate on my unarmed guys...

I think at this point I wouldn't mind more advice on progression. I plan on committing to unarmed for a while - but how high should I go before sticking some points in dodging?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:12:38 pm by GlyphGryph »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2012, 03:36:05 pm »

As I suggested earlier, 10 is probably the most practical amount (remember the delay reduction with multiples of 5). Going past that will probably require too much exp.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »

So how would you recommend I deal with fellas like the ogre for now? Does avoidance seem like the best strategy?

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2012, 03:46:25 pm »

The optimal play is generally to avoid them until you can deal with them easily, yes. However, with regards to the ogre, it might actually be taken down fairly easily in Spider Form due to the good EV and poison. You actually might be able to kite it around with the speed boost after inflicting a decent amount of poison. There's still a minor element of risk to it, but it would be a nice amount of XP at this point in the game.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

Yeah... he hit me first turn the one time he got close and did 36 damage (more than half my health), so I think I'll just stay away from them for now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2012, 06:33:29 pm »

Spiderform murder'd probably work in most situations, but if they get you near/under half health, ditch. You'll usually be able to just straight up melee 'em, though.

That said, what you might be able to do with the enchant scrolls is keep 'em around for enchanting blowpipes/needles or javelins -- spiderform puts you in a pretty good position for poison kiting vs. crap like ogres, or just plain throw-kiting. Or any ranged, really. It probably wouldn't exactly hurt, anyway, and it's arguably better than just tossin' them.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »

I would not really invest into ranged weapons until later, your XP budget is kind of tight atm and you want to limit your non-spell skill investment because you need the Sif piety.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:19 pm »

Ehh... for stuff like ogres, you don't need to invest anything. Sprig or centaur (E: Or cat, or anyone with swiftness... well, you get the idea.) can kite an ogre to death with stones and 0 throwing; spiderform lets you do pretty much the same thing. Enchanting needles, darts, javs, whatever, just makes it a bit quicker. Same goes for launcher junk. Don't need skill investment, just sufficient ammo and kite room.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2012, 06:07:38 pm »

Well, yeah, I didn't really want you to get rid of the strength ring now, just once other options open up. As for the scrolls, I agree that in the early game, every consumable matters, however I find that the potions are generally much more likely to directly save your life than scrolls. A stack of identified heal wounds potions in the early game is potent - very likely to save your life, and I would take IDing heal wounds over any item early game.

Scrolls of Teleportation are quite the useful item to have when you find yourself crippled and/or surrounded by enemies. That is specially true for being surrounded by orcs, as trying to break through their lines in the open often spells death at the hands of mass smiting. Still, one tends to fight more significant a number of potions of curing and heal wounds, and that does the odds of using one higher while sorting through unidentified potions; the same case as scrolls of identify.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:10:13 pm by Azthor »

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2012, 06:48:05 pm »

Use enchant weapon scrolls on curare needles and dispersal darts. For ranged damage get either  Mystic Blast or a similar spell. If you can reliable cast Spider Form, then you should be able to handle ogres. The best time to use teleport scrolls is before a situation gets out of control.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:20 pm »

^ +1. Seriously, though, follow Dr. Feelgood's advice - he knows what he's talking about, far better than I do. It is all very sound advice.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:45 pm »

Use enchant weapon scrolls on curare needles and dispersal darts. For ranged damage get either  Mystic Blast or a similar spell. If you can reliable cast Spider Form, then you should be able to handle ogres. The best time to use teleport scrolls is before a situation gets out of control.

It takes a few rounds to take effect, so that is generally true, still, it is worth mentioning Death's Door in the end game, as it renders you nigh invulnerable for a small number of rounds.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:13:42 pm by Azthor »

Un67

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »

^ Yes, but we're talking about the early game where things spiral out of control very easily and often the only thing you need to win a fight/survive a situation is a few more hit points.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 26, 2012, 09:52:35 am »

Sorry about the no updates, been trying to get all the dying out of my system. I think it's safe to continue now, though. Updates... probably this weekend at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]