Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When this character dies, what should we roll next? (Class will be random)

Octopode
- 16 (34%)
Tengu
- 7 (14.9%)
Draconian
- 17 (36.2%)
Centaur
- 6 (12.8%)
Other
- 1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Lets get killed in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup  (Read 21643 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets get killed in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2012, 01:27:42 am »

Octopode Assassin?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2012, 01:31:38 am »

That... might actually be reasonable. They get a hefty stealth bonus. Their aptitude is lower than the nagas, but I think their cap is the highest in the game. (could be wrong)

But the class will be random, so we'll see. :P I think I'll just let people choose the race, then Xom can choose the class.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

It'd be interesting to see what you can get out of an octopede run.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »

I say centaurs, for the sake of choosing more races that are survivable and will allow you to go further.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:46 am »

I met Xomling's ghost while playing as another character.

He was a total dick.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 10:02:18 pm »

Okay, starting the next character! Looks like I'm going to be a Draconian with a Random Class! Let's see how it rolls...

Ailert the Ruffian
                                     Draconian
                                     Health: 16/16     ========================
                                     Magic:  1/1       ========================
                                     AC:  4            Str: 12
                                     EV: 12            Int: 13
                                     SH:  0            Dex: 11
                  ######             XL:  1 Next:  0%  Place: Dungeon:1
             ### #P♣....             Wp: -) Nothing wielded
             #♣<#P♣..≈≈≈#            Qv: -) Nothing quivered
              #♣@....8≈#
             #♣<#P♣..≈≈≈#
             ### #P♣....
                  ######

Welcome, Ailert the Draconian Transmuter.
 The destiny of this world depends on the Orb of Zot. Go down and get it!

Ailert the Ruffian (Draconian Transmuter)                                                                                       Turns: 0, Time: 00:00:30
HP  16/16        AC  4     Str 12      XL: 1   Next:  0%
MP   1/1         EV 12     Int 13      God:
Gold 20          SH  0     Dex 11      Spells:  1 memorised,  3 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .      - Unarmed
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  (armour unavailable)
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    (no shield)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    (helmet restricted)
Res.Poison: .       Clarity    : .    (no cloak)
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (no gloves)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (no boots)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    (no amulet)
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    (no ring)
Saprovore : . . .   Ctrl.Flight: +    (no ring)

@: not resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour
a: no special abilities

Skill            Level Train  Apt       Skill            Level Train  Apt 
 a + Fighting          1.1    6%   +1    f + Stabbing          0.0          0   
 b + Unarmed Combat    3.0   36%    0    g + Traps & Doors     0.0          0   

c + Throwing          0.0         -1    h + Spellcasting      2.0   24%    0   
                                         i + Transmutations    2.0   17%    0   
 d + Dodging           1.7   17%   -1                                     
 e + Stealth           0.0         -1

the book of Changes

Spells                             Type                      Level
 a - Beastly Appendage            Transmutation                 1
 b - Sticks to Snakes             Transmutation                 2
 c - Spider Form                  Transmutation/Poison          3
 d - Ice Form                     Ice/Transmutation             4
 e - Blade Hands                  Transmutation                 5                                   

Momma always said I could be anything. And soon, son, she said, you're gonna be an adult. And I was pretty smart, so she gave me this here book from her library, and told me to go get her this here Orb for her horde while she's busy takin' care of the rest of the litter. She trusts me so much!

Now, where is this orb thing...

So where should I go with this dude? What skills should I focus on first?

RECOVERED FROM A BOOK FOUND IN THE DUNGEON BY LATER EXPLORERS

We were in the dungeon no more than a few moments before swatting down a bothersome bat and grabbing and smashing a gibbering goblin.  The real trouble came with the kobold though. Nasty bugger, man to sink his sword into soft places several times before I realized what a threat he was. He was not tough to kill, but I realized I was incredibly lucky to survive his initial assault when I almost collapsed from the blood loss.

While I recover my wits, leaning against this wall, I've decided to track what I've done in the back of momma's book.

I hope there's no more nasty surprises like that on the way to this orb thing. I just want to grab that and get out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:14:23 pm by GlyphGryph »

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 10:49:31 pm »

I think Transmuter was a pretty decent get for a random Draconian class. I believe Draconians get extra unarmed natural attacks, and Blade Hands also uses unarmed combat. We might be able to do a lot of damage using those together, so unarmed combat is a good thing to train. However, I played Crawl a bit and learned you definitely need ranged/magic capabilities, so be on the lookout for spellbooks and some kind of ranged weapon.

Otherwise we'll have to see which color we get.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:06 pm »

Draconians also get a dragon form synergy if Gryph makes it that far.

Anywaaay. Spiderform, win game through 'till lair. Basically. Then otherstuff. Not sure what a decent god is, though. I'd probably go with Sif for book access or maybe Ashenzari because shapeshift but eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2012, 11:58:46 pm »

Oh, good point Frumple! I wasn't thinking about deities. If we are presumably being more magic focused Sif is the basic choice, but Vehemet might work if we needed the destructive focus instead of a wider range of effects.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 12:15:37 am »

Vehe'd actually be better if you were going for a wider range of effects, since he helps out with summoning and conjuration stuff (I.e. don't have to dip as much into those two to get combat-functional casting levels, so more XP for transmutations and unarmed combat/dodge/stealth), yeah, and offers up specific books (and sooner). Sif gives a higher likelihood of upperlevel transmute spells, but meanders about getting there and takes a while anyway; plus she doesn't help you cast, just not blow up when you screw up. Channeling can help every caster, though~ Kiku probably wouldn't hurt either, really; vampiric drain would probably help tons and the rest of it's not terrible.

Transmuter book starts you off with what you need to be a brutal UC character (Ice/spider form, blade hands), so most transmuters go melee-primary, at least from what I understand. About the only god that wouldn't help, though, would be Trog and Xom (for obvious reasons :P).

Anyway, I popped up a DrTr for a quick run and got to D:5 clvl 6 in like a half-hour, so it definitely seems pretty viable early game. Just appendage junk and melee everything to death until you get spider form... and then do it some more, just faster and poison-y :P I'm probably going to go Ash because I keep thinking Ash is awesome despite never actually getting anywhere with an Ashenzari character (mostly because I've never really tried, ha.).

E: Make that clvl 8, D:7 just cleared. Seriously need to do some use IDing on the scrolls and potions but g'damn, things going entirely too well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:27:51 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:04 am »

Transmuter was my favorite class. I think I won with a DrTm awhile ago. I recommend worshiping Sif. I picked Vehumet, but he wasn't very useful and I never found a book with Dragon Form.

Dragon Form is awesome, especially as a draconian. They have a much easier time casting it and they get a few nifty bonuses for being in Dragon Form. DrTm is also fun in Sprint games. Sadly, transmuters got nerfed are are much weaker now.

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »

Actually, if you want more magical diversity, get Kiku. Renewable healing, undead meatshields, trivialization of almost all undead, single target Torment, and a bunch of other stuff I've probably forgotten... what's not to like?

Granted, you'll be missing out on the pain weapon as a transmuter, but Haunt is a nice consolation prize.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2012, 03:54:18 pm »

Might my eventual color matter? Maybe I should wait until I get a color before deciding?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2012, 04:01:10 pm »

Ehn, you can probably safely ignore color re: god choice. About the only one that'd make much of a difference would be ending up purple if you were going Sif, from what I'm reading of the apts. Well, and obviously the green/TSO thing. I forget if that conflict's been tweaked any.
Ask not!
Ask!

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2012, 04:14:58 pm »

The color you get can affect your Elemental spell skills but not things like Transmutations or Necromancy or etc.

It would definitely be great if we could survive long enough to use Dragon Form. Apparently using Necromutation and Sif's Channel ability is the high-level magic user's strategy, if we last that long. Kiku does grant Necromancy books but not the channel ability.

Also Vehemet's wrath is apparently not bad so if we get him early (like in the Temple) we could get his 6 books and then abandon him. That gives use the best Conjurations and Summons and then whatever abilities of who we switch to.

We get our color at XL 7, what DL are we expecting to be at then?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7