Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf numbering designations system  (Read 1449 times)

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
Re: Dwarf numbering designations system
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »

I like character names, since I feel like it really helps my enjoyment of the narrative of the fort. Over time I've more or less started using the same set of names for dwarves of certain professions, so I immediately know their job when I see their name.

I also don't use Dwarf Therapist! Definitely useful, but I hate it when my enjoyment of the game grows dependent on the presence of other utilities. Really makes it frustrating when new versions come out, and I'm eager to play but the standard interface feels alien. It's happened to me in other games, and happened in DF the first time I tried DT.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:41 am »

I can use the stock interface just fine, I just find it far easier to see everything about everyone at a glance. Excellent functionality that should be included eventually, imho.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 02:37:21 am »

I just saw a thread where someone numbered his dwarfs.

It's so simple but ingenious, I wish I thought of it myself.

Actually, I just thought of creating more complex designations.

Dwarfs will be numbered sequentially by class and order that they came into the fort...

Example:

EX001-001 Expedition leader
MI001-002 First miner
MI002-003 Second miner
FA001-004 First farmer
and so on...

If the expedition leader dies the next one will be renamed...

EX002-005 Second expedition leader etc etc

That way I can look at them and see quickly their designation and order they came into the fort which makes them more unique and easier to identify.

Dwarfs drafted into the military will be named on what squad they are in but also the order of squad mates. (two digits for second part only because you can only have 10 members in a squad)

SQ001-01-059 Captain of the guard
SQ001-02-076 Second member of the first squad
SQ002-01-112 Leader of second squad.
SQ002-02-157 Second member of the second squad.

Dwarfs who are suspected of vampire get a v at the end of the designation.

ex MA005-132-v which is the 5th mayor, 132nd to arrive at fort, and is suspected of being a vampire.

Once they are confirmed to be a vampire... I will give them a capital V.

Thoughts on this and would anyone have any other systems of naming their dwarfs? I am quite interested in making my fort into 1984 labor camp.

Well Ive been trying your system and it works very well... at first but when youre inevitably hit by that 30+ migration it becomes very tedious to say the least  ::)
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.
Pages: 1 [2]