Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: startup/embark skills?  (Read 6683 times)

psorek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: startup/embark skills?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:05 pm »

1. Miner/Gem cutter - change cutter to what?
2. Miner/Smelter
3. Wood cutter/Wood burner (1pt)/Stone crafter - for wealth
4. Grower/Brewer
5. Mason/Architect(1pt)/Mechanic
6. Carpenter/Engraver - for happiness
7. Leader - 10 pts in skills needed for trader, manager and expedition leader

Remember, i am only little noob :)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »

1. Expedition Leader: Mason, GlassMaker, Appraiser, Judge of Intent, Organizer and Record Keeper
2. Mason/Leatherworker
3. Carpenter/Architect
4. StoneCraft/Gem cutter/Architect
5. Brewer/Grower
6. WoodCutter/Cook/Armorer
7. Mechanic/Weaponsmith/Chief Medical Dwarf (mainly diagnosis)

3 mining picks, 3 training axes(no reason to spend big bucks on battle_axes when miner picks work as weapons), lots of lye(it's_cheap), many sands, anvil, many gypsum plasters(it's_cheap), 2_cats(M/F), 4 or more dogs(1M_rest_Fs), lots of wood_logs, 15 of each drink, 4 different female egg layers, a variety of meat types.   I might have forgot something since I'm doing this from memory.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »

NTJedi, but won't a fire stop your underground lumber industry, without a metal axe?  These fires rage like crazy.  Makes me think of the Hobbit trailer, where the dwarfs all sing about Smaug's raging firebreath.

I haven't had too many early fires, but I have had some in my three wine cellars, early, but not often.  Even before I punctured them, things sometimes catch ablaze.  I try to pop the first cavern, ASAP to setup a fresh, coldproof well and stockpile of buckets.

So, I take 1 metal axe.  And make some extras.  Do you embark in the mountains where there is limited topside wood?  I try not to do that.  But I understand your logic if you do.  I like your idea of early Lye, I'll have to give that a try.  Being extra clean might help offset naked thoughts.  Take care, Knutor

1. Expedition Leader: Mason, GlassMaker, Appraiser, Judge of Intent, Organizer and Record Keeper
2. Mason/Leatherworker
3. Carpenter/Architect
4. StoneCraft/Gem cutter/Architect
5. Brewer/Grower
6. WoodCutter/Cook/Armorer
7. Mechanic/Weaponsmith/Chief Medical Dwarf (mainly diagnosis)

3 mining picks, 3 training axes(no reason to spend big bucks on battle_axes when miner picks work as weapons), lots of lye(it's_cheap), many sands, anvil, many gypsum plasters(it's_cheap), 2_cats(M/F), 4 or more dogs(1M_rest_Fs), lots of wood_logs, 15 of each drink, 4 different female egg layers, a variety of meat types.   I might have forgot something since I'm doing this from memory.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 10:36:51 pm »

I go with 5 proficient miners, a proficient grower, and a protonoble with trickier social skills (persuader and judge of intent, others sprinkled in), but it really depends on playstyle. You generally want to go for a balance between immediate usefulness and long term difficulty, which largely depends on where you embark. Also, pre-embark, I always check the dwarf civilizations in the legends page, so I don't choose a pansy civilization that's only ever fought badgers. That'll guarantee a good number of soldier immigrants, with more recent attacks better.

MISSCELLANALOUS TIZP:
-Don't embark with anything that can be made of wood, which includes axes. Two logs costs 6 points, and lets you make a carpenter's shop, then a training axe, which can hilariously enough chop wood. That's a 62 point difference for minimal effort. After that you're pretty much set, unless your site doesn't have trees.
-If embarking with a large number of picks (3 or more), it's more point efficient to bring copper ore (and three other fire-safe stones) and smelt the tools yourself.
-Unless using the above strategy involving early smithing of tools, anvils are unnecessary and expensive, as the first caravan nearly always brings them.
-If you need medical supplies and a doctor before you can make them, you're usually screwed anyway.
-The only food you should bring is cheap 2 point meat, and only one unit from each animal (no prepared organs). That'll give you a crapton of free barrels, as each individual unit of different meat requires a barrel. Cooking it on embark is also helpful.
-If you want bags, for an early farm growing millable plants, bring sand instead of empty bags. A tenth the price, plus free sand.
-Embarking with war dogs isn't really needed, as regular dogs can be trained easily and are half the price.
-Every dwarf can do anything, so there is flexibility. Many important 'jobs' don't really have important 'professions', so avoid wasting points on professions that only really effect efficiency (brewing, butchering, etc.)
-Pretty much all of the above can be thrown out in an evil biome, which is an entirely different beast.

Edit:
Also, try playing a few forts where you only play for the first couple seasons. Focus on streamlining things until you can get most of the early fort dug, a drawbridge up at the entrance, all permanent workshops underground, a dedicated farm, and the capacity to set up a wealth generator like mechanic's or craftdwarf's workshops, all before the first migrant wave. If you can do that, your forts will be in a much better place from the start.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:49:07 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:55 pm »

is it just me or as for 34.10 adding the 1 point to ambusher skill won't give free archer equipment anymore?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2012, 02:28:16 am »

is it just me or as for 34.10 adding the 1 point to ambusher skill won't give free archer equipment anymore?

Not just you.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2012, 04:20:19 am »

same here...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2012, 06:30:31 am »

Migrant ambushers still come packing heat, I believe.  Unless that was a marksdwarf too.  Somehow I got a Steel xbow, in my 34.10 game, and it wasn't off the embark hunter.  He had no wpn and no ammo, from the start, had to make that for him to Hunt.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

Generally the best use for the starting seven is military dwarves. The earlier dwarves start training, the stronger they'll be.

Most skills are pretty much a waste of points. Putting two skills on a dwarf is usually an even bigger waste of points. The best use of points is generally on raw materials (logs, stones, ore, coal, leather, etc). I don't even bother with seeds or plump helmets because I prefer to just gather some surface plants and grow strawberries and longland grass.

However the thing is that you really get quite a lot of points (that is, if you clear all the default items), so spending them optimally is not particularly important. Hence I generally invest in proficient skills and bring some ready-made booze, even though it's not really point-optimal to do so.

I avoid using the training axe exploit, and also the "freebie bags/barrels" exploit. Again, you really do get a lot of points, so there's not much point in being so stingy and doing silly things like buying 1 of each meat to get the barrels at 2pt each. A log only costs 1 point more, and can be turned into a barrel, and that's the good and honest dwarvern way to do it.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2012, 10:17:35 pm »

Agree with Panando's excellent post. It is actually really difficult to come up with a "suicide" embark. For example I once embarked with completely unskilled dwarfs and no equipment except rock nuts and stones (to make a quern, 2 mechanisms, and a few rock pots) and still I was able to survive until fall and buy everything I needed (and more) from the first caravan, trading only rock nut press cake & oil roasts. :)

If you plan your embark carefully (raw materials for strange moods) then you don't even need to trade at all, ever. ;)

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 02:41:59 am »

Eh, the exploitish stuff is more for convenience. It'll still only cost 2 wood to make that axe, given that there'll be copper leftover (8 copper bars from 2 ore, only 7 picks needed) after smelting the picks, and the barrels could be subbed for rock pots anyway. Starting with sand is very useful however, as being able to make a decent number of glass weapon traps early on (without a sand layer) can be game changing, the bag benefit aside.
Pages: 1 2 [3]