Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "'...' complained about the draft lately" and other unhappy thoughts  (Read 7145 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "'...' complained about the draft lately" and other unhappy thoughts
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:52:56 pm »

This is why quick-response squads should be filled with dwarves who have a weapon skill (Novice or better) and a civilian skill. Otherwise, every time they get activated to/deactivated from soldier mode, they get a bad thought.

Bedrooms and dining rooms aren't the only places dwarves appreciate good furniture - they'll get a good thought from seeing excellent furniture anywhere. I try to have decorated hatches covering all my stairs/ramps, statues in high traffic corridors and ropes forming a tapestry of sewn images.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 02:07:09 pm »

One word: mist.

You can build a mist generator with a little effort, and make a meeting area under it. Every dwarf will be ecstatic. Always.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:10 pm »

I thought the draft would be self explanatory :P

Still, rationalization time.

the last thing I want is to have a fully armed dwarf running round the fortress killing his friends and family because he's sad... I guess it's another one of those paradoxical things the dwarves like to get themselves into... "I'm sad... I'm gonna go round killing my family... OH NO! My family is dead! That is so depressing"

Fully armed Dwarf, pushed over the edge. Urist McDoucheGrudge insults him in the wrong place at the wrong time, and Urist McAxeLord goes veteran on his beard. Cue 30 minute montage where Urist believes he's in the midst of a goblin ambush, and realizes he's just killed his family... And loses it.

Or stops caring about death.

Either works.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:02 pm »

The first time I encountered that thought, I think it was back in the 2d version, I frantically started placing doors everywere, in hopes of keeping out the draft. I thought they were complaining about stiff necks from a cold draft. Then I found out that draft had another meaning as well. I guess that's what you get when you're not a native english speaker.
I speak english as my first (and only) language and I did the same thing. Don't worry.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 04:40:32 pm »

I knew both meanings but wasn't sure which one they meant. Conscription or unwanted air flow. Then I recalled that air flow was not a factor in the game, so hey.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:49 pm »

I know both meanings, but it's been FOREVER since I've heard that term in the military sense.
We haven't had a draft since.. well.. the 70's, I think.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 05:15:55 pm »

Unless I have been englishing incorrectly all my life, you spell them differently, with draft for the military draft, and draught for the air currents. Or it coud be an American thing either. I honestly don't know. American English language sure is weird that way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »

It IS an American thing. We English spell ze air-current variety as 'draught'. Ze Americans spell them both as 'draft'.

What gets most Americans, however, is how we spell 'cheque'. Two countries separated by a common language.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 05:23:30 pm by KodKod »
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 05:18:38 pm »

I thought
draft = conscription but also
draft = unwanted air flow and also
draught = unwanted air flow yet also
draught = a type of heavy animal used for pulling but also
draught = drinks drawn from tap.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:21 pm »

Unless I have been englishing incorrectly all my life, you spell them differently, with draft for the military draft, and draught for the air currents. Or it coud be an American thing either. I honestly don't know. American English language sure is weird that way.
Draught is the correct spelling. Draft is an Americanism, although fairly common to see in British English nowadays... you'll see the American Spelling in the Sun or the Daily Mail, you wouldn't see "Draft" used to mean airflow in the Telegraph or the Independent; they exclusively use "Draft" to mean Conscription, even though that is also an Americanism.

That said, the game is programmed by an American, and American English uses the same spelling for both. So it's probably confusing for everyone.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »

Don't worry about unhappy recruits, if they go berserk their squad mates will handle their burial.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »

I thought
draft = conscription but also
draft = unwanted air flow and also
draught = unwanted air flow yet also
draught = a type of heavy animal used for pulling but also
draught = drinks drawn from tap.

And draughts is a game played on a checkered game board!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:35 pm »

The English language is screwed up enough as it is... Why did the Americans need to go screw it up even more? :p

Anyway, thanks for the help guys... Got exactly what I was looking for here: multiple strategies for dealing with unhappiness :)

You never know, there might even come a day when I understand the game well enough to help others out too :)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »

Why couldn't Toady just say "conscripted"?  It's more era-appropriate even!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »

There should really be a nice distinction between conscript, militia and soldier :i
Pages: 1 [2] 3