Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Military  (Read 30250 times)

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:54:59 am »

He is quite a subtle troll... and the army arc is still really far away.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:07 am »

Let's not forget the DANGER ROOM that can give you a Legendary Dwarf in under 5 minutes.  It's fun to have a 1 Dwarf Military and hope he doesn't get shot in the eye.

"Urist McBadaxe blinks the bolt away!"
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 11:59:32 am »

Wow.  Really?  Seems to me being able to train every single dwarf you want to up to legendary is more unrealistic, especially in such a short amount of time.  These guys out perform the Navy Seals and the SAS combined, and you have a complaint that it takes more than a year to get them to that level?

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »

"Navy McSeal bites the Osama bin Laden in the right 2nd toe. Navy McSeal shakes the Osama bin Laden by the right 2nd toe. Many nerves have been severed!"

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »

"Navy McSeal bites the Osama bin Laden in the right 2nd toe. Navy McSeal shakes the Osama bin Laden by the right 2nd toe. Many nerves have been severed!"
That's right.  Shit be real homie.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2012, 12:06:35 pm »

Grufti has been quite unhappy recently. He has been accosted by terrible military bugs. He was unable to find anyone in charge to complain to. He was nauseated by his own incompetence. He has been caught in a snark storm.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »

Grufti has been quite unhappy recently. He has been accosted by terrible military bugs. He was unable to find anyone in charge to complain to. He was nauseated by his own incompetence. He has been caught in a snark storm.

LOL. 

It's fascinating how workarounds get so engrained in the DF forum culture that when a new person steps in, and points out the blindingly obvious, everyone jumps down their throat in defense of the now "completely normal" workaround. 

Tiny squads exploit the training code to get a Sparring result more often than Demonstrations or Individual Training, which train at glacial rates.  Its laughable to suggest that Toady intended tiny squads, or separate squads for training and combat, after he did all that work adding Demonstrations and the related skills. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 01:19:07 pm »

It's also fascinating how you manage to completely fabricate an event.

Aka, that's not what happened here. Yes, there's a flaw in the training system. Nobody is denying that. But not playing the game for more versions because of a silly little bug is baloney too.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:45 pm »

And expecting us to care that he's not playing for a few more versions is downright hilarious.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »

Actually it doesn't matter if he plays or not. But why announce it? It's as annoying as a meaningless facebook post.
It's only purpose is to flame, so other people will talk about him. (i would say attention whore, but i don't)
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 02:19:47 pm »

I don't get it -_-

Slow training?

/.../

It takes one year to get a squad of legendary Dwarfs with training schedules.

Not a work around.

Just something people don't know how to use :|

A legendary Dwarf on its own will still get taken down by almost everything in Dwarf fortress.

There are too many things wrong with this thread ;_;

The hostility is amazing.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 02:56:31 pm »

I've NEVER used anything less than full squads of ten and I have never had any problems with my military training. I don't know what people who fail are doing wrong, but it has nothing to do with squad size. I don't understand what people think needs to be "worked around." Sure, you won't get legendaries in a year with this method. It will take two years. That is still highly unrealistic. In the real world, becoming an expert fighter takes most people over a decade, and that's if they start young.

This is yet another case where people who think and pay attention attain better results than those who fail to think and pay attention. Dwarf fortress didn't fail you, you failed dwarf fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 03:18:05 pm »

Ok, seriously why are people surprised that Dwarfs that do absolutely nothing don't magically grow skills, and Dwarfs that do absolutely nothing but spar become great soldiers?

In the real world, becoming an expert fighter takes most people over a decade, and that's if they start young.

1. These aren't the people we know
2. They aren't training to be soldiers, they're training to be fighters.
3. Depends what training it is. There are instances where such sparring is realistic. Generally any sport where the practice is called sparring shows this.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 03:25:29 pm »

Right, I would say that once you attain "professional" skill level, you are a professional solder. You aren't Chuck Norris, you're a dog face grunt. That goblin axe master is going to clean your clock, every time. People seem to want to attain legendary squads of invulnerable superheroes, in a season of training, with little effort besides picking some defaults. They are used to games where the "heroes" get unfair advantages, and they think a game that doesn't work like that is flawed.

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 03:32:16 pm »

In my opinion training is still very buggy : / more experienced dwarves cant effectively teach because they try to teach every combat skill and that takes forever.

Small training squads do make sense and we now have squad renaming so its less annoying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9