Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Military  (Read 30231 times)

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:09 pm »

Well the question is then, has anyone ever seen a migrant come in with teacher skill? I don't think I have, so therefore it seems that you HAVE to start with a teacher to really get going? Or do they learn teaching by demonstrating and so on?

Random generated dwarfs get the teacher skill sometimes, but historical figures i don't think so. They learning the teacher skill by sparing and demonstrations, but really slowly.
It isn't necessary to start with a teacher/organizer; but yes, it accelerates the training.

One other technique not mentioned is to slow down invasions.  Part of the reason people have a perception that military take too long to train is because they've gotten experienced at starting a new fortress, and they're pumping up the fortress value to astronomical levels in the first few years.  Fort value, and the migrants it attracts, trigger the sieges before you are ready.  It's not intuitive, but don't start buying out caravans and churning out unnecessary wealth until your military and fort defense are ready for the result.

and this is really good advice.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »

TBH I wouldn't be so quick to be an elitist bastard about the military set up. I know how to use it, even like the layout, squad assignments and scheduling system, but its frustrating to micromanage uniforms still occasionally, and it takes an arcane understanding of values not intrinsically displayed in the interface to figure out uniforms (metagaming). As far as training goes. Real combat experience is the only way to get a fast military, I like sacrificing dwarves to get a few elites. Need moar better military dwarves, pump up embark points and embark with expeert axe dwarves... sic them on station as much as possible to kill all wildlife. As far as the poor guy you are railing... they simply stated their preference, and they are mad because they can't play the game "their" way (which is using the defaults, and quantity vs quality) without a little bit of modding. No reason to be asshats about it. I respect their desire to wait for change. But its rhetorical to point out that their statement is most likely not sufficient to bring that about. Its almost as bad as wishful thinking. Are you all scared your military might become automatically elite next revision? I think toady has allot more sense then that lol.
I voted for BANANA!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2012, 02:27:41 pm »

TBH I wouldn't be so quick to be an elitist bastard about the military set up. I know how to use it, even like the layout, squad assignments and scheduling system, but its frustrating to micromanage uniforms still occasionally, and it takes an arcane understanding of values not intrinsically displayed in the interface to figure out uniforms (metagaming). As far as training goes. Real combat experience is the only way to get a fast military, I like sacrificing dwarves to get a few elites. Need moar better military dwarves, pump up embark points and embark with expeert axe dwarves... sic them on station as much as possible to kill all wildlife. As far as the poor guy you are railing... they simply stated their preference, and they are mad because they can't play the game "their" way (which is using the defaults, and quantity vs quality) without a little bit of modding. No reason to be asshats about it. I respect their desire to wait for change. But its rhetorical to point out that their statement is most likely not sufficient to bring that about. Its almost as bad as wishful thinking. Are you all scared your military might become automatically elite next revision? I think toady has allot more sense then that lol.

He speaks much truth.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2012, 03:23:51 pm »

Speaking from an impartial standpoint I think it’s unfair to accuse the people of this thread of elitism. Coming across a bit more hostile than necessary? Perhaps there’s an argument for that. Elitist? Nu-uh.

This is Dwarf Fortress, it’s a complicated game in all aspects, and if refuting that something is broken just because its current implementation isn’t as streamlined as it could be is “elitist”, and if pointing people in the right direction to achieve success is “elitist”... well how the hell else are you going to instruct someone in how to play this untamable beast of a game? We all know that Dwarf Fortress is not particularly accessible, but I don't think that most of us would be here if we weren't fine with that.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2012, 04:12:20 pm »

For the record, yes I confuse elitist with hostile =P but ya'll can be a tad bit nicer to the masses about it... I know I have posted allot of newb questions (some of which were answered in really old threads or other places) but I never got slammed for being tarded, ignorant, or "wrong" in my mentality. Just pointed in the right direction.

The way I see it, if I posted : My dwarves don't survive in my overwhelmingly serene worlds, TOADY SHOULD FIX THIS, I am not gonna play!!! People have a right to tell me I'm being unrealistic and somewhat rude. I appreciate that, and while I don't use as profane a words (nore did the OP). As far as the above goes, no one told me I shouldn't play like that, they offered me advice as to how to fix up the raws so I could gen my crazy stupid worlds.

What got my original wall of text going, was the fact that people subjectively were like "Hey GTFO, most morons on this game can make the military do what it wants. YOUR WRONG for wanting it differently... its never gonna change..." Or at least that's how I read the majority of the posts. (/rant off). Yes I know its ignorant in and of itself to crusade for some manners on the interwebs. But I felt in this case a chance at some enlightenment might help the general forum =P
I voted for BANANA!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2012, 04:25:11 pm »

No harm done. I persoanlly think you should do the suggested training fortress so you can get your bearings on the military (Of course they'll suffer typical dwarven stupidity and charge oponents and not stop till they die/get to hurt to keep fighting.)

Was just a little bit of ignoranc on the parts of all involved.

This would be the part where I'd play why can't we be freinds, but nah....

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:11 pm »

Firstly i think it needs to be established that 'exploiting' is a sliding scale. Sure, there are cases where you can a) use danger room or b) not use danger room and it seems black and white - but what if you only use the danger room one month a year? What if you use real weapons instead of training spears? What if you use a danger room to train a teacher and then have him lead a squad with demonstrations? etc. It's a sliding scale.

With that in mind, here is my 2urists:

1) Embark with teachers. The more the merrier, really, as the teacher skill has the largest impact on demonstrations, which are the majority of any training other than a permanent 2-man squad (and even then they still do them), and teacher skill takes a while to train up.
2) "Game" your skills. By this i mean don't start a squad where each member has a single point in a different military skill. They will spend forever trying to teach everyone else that one skill, and they will suck at it because they have no teacher skill, the skill they are teaching is low, and the others have little or no student skill. Put squads together that either have a) all the same skills or b) no skills at all.
3) Small squads. Doesn't have to be 2 soldiers max forever. Start with 2 teachers, get them up to level 10 weapon skill, then add a student. Get him to a good place, then add another student. At the point where your initial 2 become so good that they start getting points in biting, kicking, etc. they will start teaching these skills - this is a good time to revisit point 2) and incorporate it into point 3).

That's about it, really. Well, there are plenty of other tips and factors, eg. i always leave the default '10 minimum' on - but the above is the main points.

If you're wondering whether i've actually tried this or not - every fort i play (which would be around 20-30 so far this way) includes humans and elves modded to be automatically hostile (like goblins), orcs added, and all of the above attack in all seasons; and i defend this with nothing but military.

Or, that is, i try to defend. Works pretty well for me, anyway :)

And the price for the most useful post in this thread goes to... :) thx - at least this is sth I can work with (and worth enduring the whole shitstorm of most of the rest).

And to those who say the training system isn't broken: So, you really want to tell me, that toady had in mind putting 2 dwarf squads up, when implementing the new military? Really?
So thats the way its played in this forum nowadays...

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2012, 06:20:11 pm »

I say it isn't broken because it works if you just do it normally - assign large squads, let them train all together, fight smaller sieges and ambushes, close up the fort on large sieges etc. It is not broken, it's merely exploitable - but it's optional, the game doesn't force you to exploit  the unbalanced parts of it. Except in situations like the one schismatise wrote about, but those situations arise only in modded games. In vanilla DF you don't need to fight endless waves of enemies every season from year 1 and therefore don't need great military until much later.

I usually make large squads of mixed weapon skills at first. When I get more military dwarves later, I tend to separate them by weapon of choice. I let them fight in fights I suppose they'll be able to win form the start, I don't wait until they're all clad in steel/adamantine. Some survive, some die, but after 5-10 years I always have a bunch of legendary warriors, the fittest and the luckiest of the dwarves fighting for me over the years. That's why I believe it isn't broken - the way I play it works without me having to use any workarounds or tricks to speed things up or up the dwarves' chances of survival.
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2012, 07:45:08 pm »

Grufti, I'm sorry. Really, no excuses, it was elitist and mean. It is also something that everyone on this board has gone through at one time or another. I would bet you that every single person on this insane forum has been dressed down, called out, made fun of, criticized and called a n00b. I have, more than once and sometimes I deserved it. It's just the nature of the forum. Consider it a kind of hazing. ;)

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2012, 08:20:33 pm »

And to those who say the training system isn't broken: So, you really want to tell me, that toady had in mind putting 2 dwarf squads up, when implementing the new military? Really?

Every martial arts/boxing/war film I have ever seen has featured 1-on-1 sparring with a skilled instructor as a training technique. Sparring is awesome in real life, in fiction, and in Dwarf Fortress too.

The numbers/balance/ratio of training speed to squad size may need a little fine-tuning, agreed. No argument from me.

What I will heartily disagree with is that military training is too slow. I ran some tests and the absolute worst case scenario, 1 dwarf in a squad, zero military skills, nobody to spar with or learn from, reached the rank of Skilled Axedwarf in 1 year.

If anything I would argue military training in Dwarf Fortress is slightly overpowered but that's OK with me because it makes the game more fun. :)

(edit) it is important to remember that we are talking about training here and not killing goblins. Just because sparring in groups of 2 is an efficient training technique does not mean that you can't send your soldier to fight the goblins in squads of 10 if it makes you happy. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:23:14 pm by Mushroo »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »

That'd be a good strategy actually. Train small, fight large. And keep a couple instructors handy too, of course.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2012, 08:39:42 pm »

"Hey everybody, partner up and do some sparring!!"

Works for me. If Toady told me this behavior was intentional, I would believe him.

To counter the argument "but it's more effort compared with using the lazy-ass method! :(" I reply: "why is it a bad thing for a video game to reward the player for making extra effort? :)"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:43:43 pm by Mushroo »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2012, 11:06:58 pm »

One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned, but should be obvious from the various militarily savy posters comments, is that mixed weapon squads train slower than single weapon-type squads.  From all I have seen, having a squad of four with four different weapons is only marginally better than having four individual squads of one dwarf each as far as training time goes.  If you set up squads to train a specific weapon, they will train much faster because the Udib the axe dwarf recruit won't be trying to learn spear or sword skills from Datan or Bem, or hammer skills from Rigoth, he (and everyone else in the axe squad) will be learning axe skills from whoever has the highest skill in axes in the squad.

Have a trainer (teacher) for each weapon type you plan to use. Keep the "class" size small while the teacher skill sucks, and grow the class size as their teacher skill improves. 

Myself, I normally use squads of 4 to train in the beginning, then split them up to be the captains of four squads of 4+ once they've had 18 to 24 months of training.  Thats usually Skilled or better, with zero teacher/student skills at start.  In my current fortress I'm using 2 dwarves to start with due to not having any stone for most of the first year, and only having 21 dwarves after the third migrant wave (two of those children).

And for those that tried to tell me before, you were right, two dwarves do train up faster than four.  Not by much, perhaps 50% faster, but it is noticeable.

My long term goal is to double my military size every time a full "class" of recruits reaches Competent in their assigned weapon.  Start with four, split them up when they get to Competent (or more likely Skilled, with teh slow rate my fortresses grow ;) ). Then when their squads of three to four dwarves reach competent double it again, or just double the number of dwarves in each squad.  Once I have my initial squads up to Competent or better, I would create a training squad, and put my best Teacher as its captain and have hir crank out Competent recruits.

Four random migrants with 12 months of training as speardwarves, in leather armor and using copper spears completely trounced an elven archer ambush one time.  I admit, they closed to melee range unopposed because the elves were busy torturing targetting a cat, but after killing 10 of the 16, and stabbing the war lion in the back of the head to kill it on the second hit (the first hit made its tail bleed), all without taking any damage at all, means work arounds for training aren't needed.

In my opinion, stating you need to use work arounds to train soldiers in 32.18+ is like stating its annoying that your crafts dwarves have to walk all the way down to the mines themselves to get stone to make mugs, but you can work around that my setting up dedicated haulers and/or add a stone stockpile near the craftsdwarf workshop.  It isn't a work around, just a bit more efficiency at the cost of a little more time in setup.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »

Huh, so drafting peasants is a bad idea? 'kay.

Peasants are GREAT for drafting. They have 0 value so you wont feel bad when they get skragged. Toss them on a pump until they get a rank in pump op then draft them to a teaching squad, gladiator squad, or the marksdwarf reserves.

For a Melee Conscript army.

On Embark take
 Soldier 1 - Teacher 4, Sword 1, Shield 3, Armor 1, Dodge 1
 Soldier 2 - Teacher 4 Sword 1, Shield 1, Armor 3, Dodge 1
 Soldier 3 - Teacher 4 Sword 1, Shield 1, Armor 1, Dodge 3
 Soldier 4 - Teacher 4 Sword 3, Shield 1, Armor 1, Dodge 1 (Optional)

Have them gather plants on embark to get civilian skills

Get them a FULL set of metal armor and have them whack the wildlife/Disarmed prisoners (Cage trap it up) until rank 5-7. At 7+ the sparring starts to reach a decent rate and you'll have a legend otw soon. If they survive the wilds; their teacher stats will creep up, student will be growing, and they'll begin to even out and grow. Remember, proficient is exactly that, they are happy to not be cutting themselves anymore let alone how to handle a weapon skillfully an the lower rates of sparring reflect that. Keep same weapon recruits to that weapons training and your all set.

Full Set of armor: (Without hoods,cloaks, etc.)
 Helm
 Capx2
 Breastplate
 Mail Shirtx3
 Gauntlet
 Greave
 High Boot
 Shield
 Weapon
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 02:59:05 pm by Azure »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2012, 02:49:13 pm »

Oh, another tip re: drafting - if you're going to bolster the military, grab from the latest migrant wave, and avoid the oldest migrant waves.  New draftees have a high mortality rate; new migrants have less relationships and friends to trigger tantrums when it happens.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9