Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's Play Tropico 3!  (Read 8758 times)

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Tropico 3!
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:16:05 am »

I actually forgot I had this account. But regardless, I figured I'd work on my first screenshot Let's Play here, of a game that I don't see many LPs of. Shame, really, the game deserves better.
The game is Tropico 3, with the Absolute Power expansion pack. I may get started tomorrow, if enough interest is somehow generated.

Oh, right. An intro.

Quote from: Tropico's new savior
This world is corrupted. Sinful. Defiant of the word of Christ. It is a world that requires purification.
Purification that only I can provide. With the United States and Soviet Russia becoming evermore like Sodom and Gomorrah, it is my God-given duty, as a pastor, to show the world the error of their sins.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The world generation parameters, because I forgot to screencap them, are pretty much in the middle. Same for difficulty, except game length is maximum, and everything like Rebel Yell, A Far Away Place, etc, are off.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Tropico 3!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:00:05 am »

Gloria patria!

A religious play-trough of Tropico? Posting to follow! Gonna be eco-friendly to care for all of gods creation or do you till the earth and chop down the trees to provide for the chosen children of our father?  :P
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 10:26:37 am »

For the glory of Phelpshistan!

Posting to watch.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »

Gloria patria!

A religious play-trough of Tropico? Posting to follow! Gonna be eco-friendly to care for all of gods creation or do you till the earth and chop down the trees to provide for the chosen children of our father?  :P
Knowing the real Fred Phelps, chances are that he would do anything and everything to provide for God's elect, and punish the enemies of God (read: everyone else). So yeah. Expect a lot of good old-fashioned persecution of any non-religious, especially them fag-loving intellectuals. If someone is both religious and intellectual, then keeping in line with the real Fred Phelps' behavior, the religious part would be ignored.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:28:24 pm »

Oooooh, I love Tropico 3. Would be interesting to see how people play different then me.
Hello Hunam

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:17 pm »

I have paranoid lazy pirate (who wears shades) for my island dictator avatar.

Despite his appearance and background, the people always love me after toiling for the first 5 years of my term. I have priorities at the expense of comfort and political gain whenever I start, but the next 5 years, look forward to an economic and eventually ecological boom. Despite the fickle approval ratings for my first decade, the remainder essentially becomes a cakewalk, despite always running my economy to the ground, everybody is happy with me.

I'm like the total failure of a politician. People aren't supposed to like me for how I run things.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 11:34:08 pm »

This is a neat game. I'll be watching.

Though I was never really a corrupt leader, because there doesn't seem to be a point in doing that. You can't really spend your slush fund, and overall makes running the island harder and more expensive. I guess there is the bonus score, but so what?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:35:43 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 12:01:22 am »

I kind of felt the way Mr. Wiggles did when I played Tropico (I think I played 4 and not 3, though), in that it didn't seem to make much of a difference how corrupt you were or not, and your avatar stats had a minimal impact, etc. It seems like the game had a lot of nice ideas but fell into the usual Civilization style rut of once you're past whatever early-game challenge the scenario gave you everything was cake.

Still looking forward to seeing the playthrough! I'm curious to see the differences between the versions and how much it takes to get the island stable and basically running itself.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:06:10 am »

I do have to admit, that Tropico is more about early game mgm, then anything else. If you can be little bit fiscally responible in the early game, you're pretty much fine. I was really disappointed once I figure out how to manage the early game, as a lot of the appeal suddenly went away.

The late game issues that pop up, they don't seem to be really solvable. Like I generally have a Industrial part of town near the docks, but sooner or later it'll always face major congestion, and I dont know how to relive it. I also think Garages are little bit broken too.

In one game, there was this one Garage was always being overloaded even though I manage to do some restructuring, and fit in 3 other Garages in the area, it was still overcrowded, and I didnt have any means to figure out /how/ overcrowded it was.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:19:15 am »

Ha! Oh yeah I remember the garage thing. Honestly I never tore down or rearranged anything, I just added more garages and if that didn't fix it I just ignored it. Whatever kind of impact it was having wasn't enough to impact the economy significantly or anything.

If I recall correctly I do think it was better to spread them out around intersections than put more than 2 or so in one place though. I believe citizens will always use the closest one available and the congestion comes from people not being able to stop on the road and driving to the nearest garage. That is to say, even if they're not heading to a factory they would drive to the garage near your factory if they didn't pass another one going to their destination.

Again though I haven't played in around a year or such so things may be different then I remember.

SpiredWarrior, if you're taking requests: please diversify instead of just going for the most efficient results! That was the other thing I remember, there were a few good products and no reason at all to produce the other ones.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:22:56 am »

Yeah, that's generally what I was planning on doing. Every time I play Tropico, I try to do whatever best suits my character/the save, not whatever is best for development/happiness/whatever. Because in my opinion, Tropico doesn't seem like the kind of game that you metagame. It's the kind of game you play whenever you want to pretend to be Kim Jong-Il.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:24:45 am by SpiredWarrior »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 04:19:44 am »

Remember: God's Elect love cigars, rum, and beef steaks!  Truly, a luxury restaurant featuring these things would inspire greater respect for the All-Mighty!

By-the-by, can you rename Tropicoans?  If not, I'd suggest at least giving them forum member nicknames.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 04:43:36 am »

Remember: God's Elect love cigars, rum, and beef steaks!  Truly, a luxury restaurant featuring these things would inspire greater respect for the All-Mighty!

By-the-by, can you rename Tropicoans?  If not, I'd suggest at least giving them forum member nicknames.
I'm pretty sure you can, because I remember seeing one screenshot LP I saw do so. But, on with the LP! I know I'm pretty new to this game, and I only took 8 screens for chapter 1, but I'm gonna be working on both of those.

Quote from: Fred Phelps
Either the natives think I'm joking, or Satan has an iron grip on them. A few houses, a palace, a construction office, and a teamster's office barely qualifies as a village, let alone a nation. Ah, well. The fag enablers responsible will soon be burning in the flames of Hell, looking up at my work here. Although, I think I can make do.

In just under 2 years, I had relocated the construction and teamsters' offices to a more suitable area; the loading docks. Doing so brought me deep into the red, but I recovered thanks to the help of the "superpowers". Maybe there is a God-fearing heart in them after all?

But I did that not before passing legislation banning the consumption of any and all alcoholic beverages. As the Lord said in Ephesians 5:18: "And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit." I think this will also have the effect of making the soon-to-be warriors of God more efficient.

It seems that this legislation also made one Cornelio Mendoza unhappy. The fag-loving Mendoza's message, however, fell on deaf ears. Praise God! He'll soon get his, if not by my hand, then by the Lord's.

After the relocation, the so-called "intellectuals" demanded that I build a high school. I will not comply to these demands any time soon, however, as worldly education means nothing in the eyes of God, and serves only to turn people to Satan with its lies.

I used the space left over to build a church, and an as-of-yet incomplete apartment block. However, it seems that somehow, Tropico is in the red a second time from this:
I don't know how this is happening, but worldly and supernatural forces will quickly allow the nation to recover.
It seems there is also a homeless problem, but as I said earlier, the apartment block that is on the way combined with the Lord's favor will quickly allow Tropico to recover. All-in-all, Tropico is quickly climbing the global ladder, and I know God will not allow this country to fall to some heretics like Truman or Stalin. I am the Voice of the Lord, and Tropico is my mouthpiece!

BONUS:
I honestly don't know how this happened. Hell, I don't even know what it is. But either way, no complaints from me. Also, on the top is a graphical glitch involving water, but I did manage to fix it before the LP proper began.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 04:47:43 am »

Wow, PTW.  I got Tropico 4, but was too impatient with the tutorial, couldn't figure enough of the game out, before i got bored.

Is it normal to accrue debt at the start, because the crops haven't been sold yet?  I wanna know if this is standard or if I did something wrong, and if I did, can someone tell me how to do better?

Once again, looking forward to this religious driven LP, make sure to make lots of churches and military bases. 

Also, how do you upload Steam pictures?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 05:36:26 am »

It's Boatmurdered!  Secret retreat of the Anti-Prohibition Dwarf Rebels, of which I am proudly leading!

Viva la revolution!  Viva la wine, rum and other sweet beverages!
Pages: [1] 2