Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Let's Play Tropico 3!  (Read 8755 times)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Tropico 3!
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 05:59:29 am »

Cool stuff. So what are the stance on the different factions?

Capitalist: Hedonist scum?

Communist: Godless scum or hardworking comrades?

Intellectual: Scum who spread lies of satan?

Religious: Gods chosen children?

Militarist: Warriors of the faith?

Environmentalist: Protectors of gods creation or scum who tries to hinder the spread of the faith?

Nationalist: Loyal followers of the nation of god?

Loyalist: Disciples of the prophet, Fred Phelps?
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 07:25:27 am »

Wow, PTW.  I got Tropico 4, but was too impatient with the tutorial, couldn't figure enough of the game out, before i got bored.

Is it normal to accrue debt at the start, because the crops haven't been sold yet?  I wanna know if this is standard or if I did something wrong, and if I did, can someone tell me how to do better?

Once again, looking forward to this religious driven LP, make sure to make lots of churches and military bases. 

Also, how do you upload Steam pictures?

In my play throughs with Tropico 3, it would be pretty common for your country to go into the Red. What I've learned is that you shouldn't build to you max debt limit. It's 10k in Tropico 3. There's a host of on going expenses between the cargo shipments.

So far, I've only had one game in where I dont go into debt, and even stopped getting foreign aid.

And farms, and ranches take a few years before they start producing meals or excess for export. Tropico 3 doens't really provide you with tools to clearly see when you need more food production farms. You sorta have to infer it when you stop exporting your crops/live stock. You can also check if your citizens are skipping meals.

For shits and grins I've started another game, and nearing 1990, I'm going to around 90k worth of debt before springing back up to 40-70k.

I have a growing, but strong tourism section of my island (Its currently bring in 40k), and a strong industrial, and agricultural. I was kinda of bummed that I only had one crappy iron mine. But I had two gold mines, and a very substantial bauxite mine, and two inland oil despots. (5 in the ocean.)

Something else that I've learned is that you gotta increase wages for teamsters and for construction workers. By doing so, they seem to overall do a better job. My game has been doing heavy expansion, with close to 1k citizens. Housing housing housing housing.

Things that bug me about the game is that it's fucking hard to employee woman. And it seems like a lot of the woman centric jobs require them to have college degrees. I dont really see the game play benefit in having a gender division of labor, I wish it was unisexual, or if it was something that I could decree it on my island.

Also, I've built two docks, it seems to be working, I kinda of like it, but I'm not sure.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Basque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:41:11 am »

Mr. Wiggles, if I remember correctly factories employ any high school educated workers regardless of gender, and farms are both genders without education. The most important jobs for women are college level ones though (specifically power plants, which can't employ men for some reason). As for the gender division in the game go the way it seems to be split up is males have the crucial to surviving jobs whereas females have the nonessential extra jobs (restaurants, TV station, the power plant thing is the only one that seems out of place).

SpiredWarrior, you did a good job providing a mix of screenshots and writing, so thanks for that! It seems like most people in the thread are pretty familiar with the game already, but it might be nice to be more informative about the mechanics for people who couldn't figure out the game. Otherwise like people mentioned early it takes time for farms and ranches (but especially farms) to make product, so be sure to get them up early! I saw you already had a couple; what re you growing? It would be neat if we could get all the different kinds of products.

For housing Apartments are really the best quality per person ratio in the game, but early on Tenements can house more people faster to just get them out of shacks.

All my knowledge is based in 4 so I don't know what is or is not implemented in 3, but if you passed the Prohibition law did you need to build a ministry building and appoint ministers? It would be neat to see who we got if/when you do.

Otherwise I think you're off to a great start! I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes from here.

Oh, and before I forget since people had mentioned the debt thing: the game is arranged such that you're expected to go into debt seasonally. You can play and never go into debt but it's very slow going. You should just make sure you're making enough money to get out of debt every time a freighter comes in, then you can go in and out without concern.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 02:41:06 pm »

Wow, PTW.  I got Tropico 4, but was too impatient with the tutorial, couldn't figure enough of the game out, before i got bored.

Is it normal to accrue debt at the start, because the crops haven't been sold yet?  I wanna know if this is standard or if I did something wrong, and if I did, can someone tell me how to do better?

Once again, looking forward to this religious driven LP, make sure to make lots of churches and military bases. 

Also, how do you upload Steam pictures?
Under the game's page under Library, there's a small menu showing the screens you've taken. Go to View Screenshot Library, and depending on where you want to upload them, either go to what you want to upload and click upload, or click Show On Disk, which will open the screenshot folder for the game in Windows Explorer/whatever the Mac equivalent is.

SpiredWarrior, you did a good job providing a mix of screenshots and writing, so thanks for that! It seems like most people in the thread are pretty familiar with the game already, but it might be nice to be more informative about the mechanics for people who couldn't figure out the game. Otherwise like people mentioned early it takes time for farms and ranches (but especially farms) to make product, so be sure to get them up early! I saw you already had a couple; what re you growing? It would be neat if we could get all the different kinds of products.
Bananananas, because for where the farms started, bananas seemed to have roughly the same production areas while being worth more in terms of export. Also, I will keep that in mind.

All my knowledge is based in 4 so I don't know what is or is not implemented in 3, but if you passed the Prohibition law did you need to build a ministry building and appoint ministers? It would be neat to see who we got if/when you do.
Ministers are not in Tropico 3, so no, edicts do not require ministers. Only the money and, when applicable, the appropriate buildings.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:27:00 am »

Bump?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 01:53:33 am »

Yeah, I've been a little busy with things recently. I think I'll continue this LP either tomorrow or Wednesday.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 05:07:16 am »

Things that bug me about the game is that it's fucking hard to employee woman. And it seems like a lot of the woman centric jobs require them to have college degrees. I dont really see the game play benefit in having a gender division of labor, I wish it was unisexual, or if it was something that I could decree it on my island.
Yeah, because male showgirls are just as good at working the cabaret.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 11:59:41 pm »

Yeah, because male showgirls are just as good at working the cabaret.
Hey, you can legalize same sex marriage in the game, so I dont see why their can't be male strippers or male cabaret too.

@Basque Yea, they do have a pretty good selection of jobs, but whenever I have 10-15 unemployed by 20+ jobs open, its always unemployed woman.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »

Woo, Tropico~
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 06:19:00 pm »

I know I said I would have had it done 2 or so days ago, but I've been busy recently. I'll get episode 2 done ASAP.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 06:30:59 pm »

PTW
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

SpiredWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 12:09:32 am »

I know I've been really tardy on this last update, and I've honestly lost interest in doing this LP due to a lack of time. But I won't let this LP die. I will give my save to someone who is knowledgeable about the Westboro Baptist Church, has Tropico 3 with the Absolute Power expansion pack, and is able and willing to do the LP in my stead. It's kind of a cop out, I know, but I've lost interest in doing it, as mentioned earlier, but I also don't want it to die.
Pages: 1 [2]