Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: goblin funtime ;)  (Read 3746 times)

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
goblin funtime ;)
« on: March 22, 2012, 02:56:44 am »

Ok, so i got ambushed by goblins, but i'd thought ahead this time, and had my entrance surrounded by cage traps :D They killed my 4 of my archers, so I want revenge... What can I do?

My one plan is to release them one at a time into a room with 5 fully armoured dwarves, and one archer, but I can't find out how to release them to have my fun. They were caught using a cage trap, and linking with a lever doesn't work. They're currently sitting in the animal stockpile

EDIT:
Just found out they killed a baby! NOW they're in for it!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 02:59:51 am by Mimodo »
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: goblin funtime ;)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 02:57:34 am »

Also I'd like to keep their items too if at all possible
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 03:06:46 am »

Execution room design:

Dig a nice big room.
Separate from your nice big room, have an animal stockpile, which is where your caged gobbos/whatever currently reside.

Take a note of what kind of cages in your animal stockpile have gobbos in them.  Zinc ones?  Copper?  Etc.
Build cages (b) --> (j) --> (select from list) in the execution room.  For example, put all your copper cages in there, or whatever.

Some of the cages you just "built" in the execution room (really just moved from the animal stockpile) contain gobbos.

Now construct a lever just outside your execution room.
Maybe set up traps around the door to your execution chamber, if you're feeling fancy.
Or war dogs next to the stairs leading to other levels.

Now, we need some mechanisms.  You already have a mechanic's workshop set up, right?
Focus on the level and Add new task... link to a cage.  (a) --> (j).  This will take 2 mechanisms.  Link to one of the gobbo cages in your execution room.

The mechanic will fiddle with the mechanisms for a bit.  Once it's ready, move your "squads to train" into the execution room.  Lock the doors, if you're feeling nervous.

Focus on the lever and select Pull the Lever (P).

Watch as Fun ensues!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:13:05 am by MenacesWithSpikes »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:46 am »

1-forbid all the cages that dont have goblins in them.
2- using the "B" menu, build all the cages left over in some sort of kill room.
3- connect cages to lever.
4- station military inside room
5- close off exit to kill room
6- pull lever

that's if you want a real fight on your hands. If you'd like more of a massacre, first strip them of their weapons and armor with the D-B menu.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 03:08:12 am »

So THAT's how i release them :D

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:08:29 am »

1. Make a room they can't flee from.
2. Place their cages in the room. B - C for the cages and use x to see specific cages so you can place the correct ones.
3. Once the cages are in place, use d-b-c to claim their items. Make a dump zone somewhere outside the room and use d-b-d on the cages to select everything they are wearing (which you have just claimed with d-b-c) for dumping.
4. Use "t" to look at the cages and undump the cage itself.
5. Build a lever. Somewhere safe.
6. Hook up the lever to the cages and wait for dumping to be complete. It helps if you have a lot of idlers (with refuse hauling enabled) for this.
7. You now have their stuff (claim them from the dump zone) and the cages are ready to open. Prepare your dwarves and pull the lever!

edit: ffff, two replies.Thank you for interrupting me while I was typing, random person! And another one!
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 03:12:24 am »

I also like to engrave the walls of my execution room, so the gobbos have something nice to look at.  ;)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 03:17:43 am »

Oh, the gobboes who are waiting for their glorious demise have plenty to look at.

Namely, the blood and vomit from the previous batch.

edit: Also, I dug out the killing room from soil so engraving isn't possible. I did tile it though, with bands of grey stone alternated with microcline.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:18:24 am »

Well i've now got goblin parts scattering my room... 2 at a time, even with items they stood no chance against my fully armoured squad of 5 trained dwarves...

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:19:53 am »

Get that stuff to a refuse pile quick before it starts stinking up the place. :P

5 armed and armoured dwarfs could win easily against 20 equipmentless goblins though, might be faster to get rid of more of them in one go.

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 03:58:16 am »

Yeah, might be.... but it's more fun watching them get their asses kicked one at a time... goblin gang-rape ;)

do they get more fighting exp for killing armoured enemies?

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 04:11:49 am »

Yes, but only because they, barring decapitations and such, need to hit more often. If you claim their stuff and select it for dump you can go to the stocks screen to un-dump their armour and such. Disarming them may not even be necessary either but a lasher or a goblin with a good morningstar could be very dangerous.

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 04:25:21 am »

Usually I don't bother building the cages, I just have a pit next to my goblin and troll stockpile that is above a special barracks with extra doors and a washing system. The goblins are stripped using d>b>c & d>b>d and the cages are un-dumped from the stock screen. If you really want to punish your prisoners you could throw them a non-fatal yet damaging number of Z's and let them try to crawl to freedom, to find that the only rescue awaiting them is the mercy of dwarfish steel.

If you're interested in experience gain it may be simpler to give your dwarfs training weapons. If I recall correctly experience is constant per-hit, it doesn't take damage caused into account, so slowly clubbing your fleshy training dummies to death should give better dividends.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 04:37:42 am »

Wooden and/or training weapons against copper-clad goblins. :P

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 05:17:46 am »

Well, I just finished taking out a group of goblins nice and slowly, but now we got a ton more coming... why can't they siege me rather than ambush! at least that way I can protect my animals... Oh well... more fresh meat to destroy :D
Pages: [1] 2