Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Master of Magic - the definitive 4x with wizardly goodness  (Read 11357 times)

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Master of Magic - the definitive 4x with wizardly goodness
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:13 am »

· Missile immunity has been added to all “wizard” type heroes.

That is quite unnecessary IMO. Takes away from the flair. That MoM 2.0 thingie surely tries to balance stuff too much. :P
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 12:40:39 pm »

and here we have a multiplayer version: http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/

Maybe this is a good way to see who broken build is more broken? Test your trick builds out against other trick builds without pesky stupid AI.
I got nothing

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 12:26:20 am »

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 12:52:38 am »

and here we have a multiplayer version: http://www.roughseas.ca/momime/

I love you.

I noticed the forum is moving to a new location and the old one being shut down, this is all recent events as of last month, meaning this project is not dead. Do you have any idea of the state of things? I would love to get a server up and running this for some friendly games here around the b12 community.

EDIT: OK I got the server up and running and am able to connect to it on my own computer. This looks promising. Would like to test connection with someone if possible, any takers?

EDIT2: I tried a single player game over the server and this has a completely reworked UI which on first look seems cool, but I had some problems. Anyone else tried it?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:41:07 am by ductape »
I got nothing

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 05:48:54 am »

This is interesting indeed, a game mechanic someone should consider if trying to make a true spiritual successor, the ability to make trick builds that have some interesting play styles involved.

This was only interesting in MoM because the AI was decent enough to encourage the player to set up a trick build.

The AI in Elemental: War of Magic was so incredibly bad that my last few games before totally abandoning it involved gimp builds.  Grabbing the absolute worst start, then still crushing the AI (or getting bored and leaving the game).

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 07:40:56 am »

Is this game abandonware yet, and if not, where can I obtain it?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 08:11:42 am »

Not legally and GOG, at the very least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:45 am »

This game is broken

Play as Orc, start with 11 sorcery books and some trait that gives you heaps of mana/skill, call yourself mr. magic and pick oberon as your portrait, get wind mastery and flight, tech up to battleships cast wind mastery and then cast flight on all your battleships

You've won the game.

I laughed more than i should have.
Damn the original MoM was one awesome game.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 11:47:56 am »

Not legally and GOG, at the very least.

just got a mail from them that MoM is up on sale for a discounted price, with other classic like total annihilation

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 12:06:19 pm »

This is interesting indeed, a game mechanic someone should consider if trying to make a true spiritual successor, the ability to make trick builds that have some interesting play styles involved.

This was only interesting in MoM because the AI was decent enough to encourage the player to set up a trick build.

The AI in Elemental: War of Magic was so incredibly bad that my last few games before totally abandoning it involved gimp builds.  Grabbing the absolute worst start, then still crushing the AI (or getting bored and leaving the game).

Well, i am not sure the AI in MoM was all that good, I think it just kinda cheated by having more spells and gold and such but it doesnt seem to me that it uses them in any meaningful ways like players do.

But I do agree that what most people seem to find fun about MoM is coming up with unique game breaking builds that are creative and powerful and maybe even have some theme to them. I think this mechanic is worthy of exploration and any spiritual successor must not only include it, but enhance and feature it as a central mechanic to the game.

Wish I was a a game maker, because thats what I would do, but I am not so chalk this up to just another of the good ideas without skils to back it up. Not to mention every single attempt to resurrect MoM has died horribly.
I got nothing

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »

This game is broken

Play as Orc, start with 11 sorcery books and some trait that gives you heaps of mana/skill, call yourself mr. magic and pick oberon as your portrait, get wind mastery and flight, tech up to battleships cast wind mastery and then cast flight on all your battleships

You've won the game.

Oh? I remember getting ONE sorcery book from one lair/tower, ONE nature book from another lair, and Wind Mastery and Earth Wyrm(or whatever is that Nature dragon that teleports freely) from later lairs. And I had started Life/Chaos.

My flying, Meld-With-Earthing, Chaos-channeled, Blessed, Heroismed, Eldritch/Flaming Weaponed, Earth Wyrms will meet your battleships.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:37 pm »

This game is broken

You've won the game.

Oh? I remember getting ONE sorcery book from one lair/tower, ONE nature book from another lair, and Wind Mastery and Earth Wyrm(or whatever is that Nature dragon that teleports freely) from later lairs. And I had started Life/Chaos.

My flying, Meld-With-Earthing, Chaos-channeled, Blessed, Heroismed, Eldritch/Flaming Weaponed, Earth Wyrms will meet your battleships.

this is totally what I mean in my above posts, the only reason the game is broken is because the AI isnt capable of putting together and utilizing such techniques as these above.

I am sure if we had muliplayer, we could experience a whole new level of broken and unbalanced, but the combos would be glorious!
I got nothing

xeniorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »

Heroism on a fantastic creature? I don't think so. Mayhaps you mean lionheart? :)
This Wine tastes like schist!
Shut your mouth and admire some gneiss furniture.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2012, 03:38:18 pm »

My two OP builds I used was to either play halflings with alchemy and destroy everything early game with slingers, or to use a custom with sssrax's portrait (so he can't be in the game) and rush that one spell that disabled planar travel. Then I had a world all to my own.   
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 11:37:21 am »

Heroism on a fantastic creature? I don't think so. Mayhaps you mean lionheart? :)
Probably. Other than 6 hours straight yesterday, I hadn't played in awhile. I'm pretty sure I got Wind Mastery wrong, too.

As for yesterday, I killed off Kali with a surpise raid with High Men Cavalry, Barbarian Bowmen, and Valana, on her tower city. I started with 4 Life/Chaos, Artificer, Alchemist, and Chaos Mastery. Poor Kali seemed to think she was on friendly terms with me, despite the diplomacy rating being "Tense"(probably due to her Death spell picks and my Life books). Then Rjak showed up, declared war, and my main force got chewed up taking his first city. Fortunately, Valana was pretty badass at this point, me having made her a nifty sword and picking up a nifty shield from a lair.

So, while preparing to build Paladins nonstop from my capital, I discover a nearby wizard's tower, follow it to Myrror, and find myself on a continent. On the opposite side of the continent, which was filled with a small empire's worth of neutral Draconian and Beastmen villages, I find another tower, directly in Rjak's backyard. I send my engineers to build roads between the towers. The Paladin swarm handled the rest.

My two OP builds I used was to either play halflings with alchemy and destroy everything early game with slingers, or to use a custom with sssrax's portrait (so he can't be in the game) and rush that one spell that disabled planar travel. Then I had a world all to my own.   
Do you even need to customize Ssra(goddamn do I not know where the ' goes)? I think I found Planar Seal in my library with only 4 Life picks(which Ssra has by default).

But yeah, having Myrror all to yourself is epic fun.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4