Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What exactly is the Spinning labor for?  (Read 3411 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: What exactly is the Spinning labor for?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 10:29:35 am »

Your explanation is significantly less hilarious.

It's all a matter of opinion, really.  I find the image of a Dwarf appearing to pantomime the correct usage of tools and somehow getting results to be quite hilarious, myself.
Sanity is for the weak.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:34 am »

Well we know that dwarves are quantum beings.  Chances are that they're simply told they have tools, and as long as they don't know better, they'll work just fine.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2012, 11:03:02 am »

It's probably quantum.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2012, 11:16:47 am »

Simple, they usually just cut out the in-between.  They take a sheep and spin it around really fast.
A legendary shearer can shear two sheep at the same time, entirely, in one go.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 11:28:46 am »

Pretty sure at the moment it's just a case of any tool that is smaller than a pick being absent.  It's sort of implied, as a result, that every Dwarf has an invisible Batman utility belt of equally invisible tools for each and every task you can give them.  Which is about par for the course with Dwarven physics, really.

So, looks like the DF2010 side of the Wiki is still the one to turn to for information...  I really do wish the Wiki would stop red-linking every entry without a DF2012-specific one and just send you to the DF2010 entry if there's nothing there yet...

While Girlinhat is right--this isn't as funny--bu I expect it's correct.  I think that the need for tools or implements in the game is directly proportionate to the amount of game balance Toady wishes to have.  Spinning lots of wools for clothing won't make your warriors as uber as tons of readily available armor and weapons produced without an anvil, and engravings increase fortress value, which is good, but it brings its own balance with it (attracts more sieges with the higher value).
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.
Pages: 1 [2]