Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarven Coffee  (Read 5936 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Coffee
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:51 am »

Oops I had a typo in one of the "START" values for the "comedown" syndrome bits. Editing the old post. Should have been "START:50" not "START:0"

You might want to see how long 0 to 50 is for the "caffeine high", and the "comedown" lasts from 50 to 75, so see how long that lasts.

Let me alter that. I'll post results.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 05:40:29 am »

So the time it takes for the full coffee effect (both high and crash) is roughly 75 Urists, give or take a few based on resistance. There's 1200 Urists in one day.

Therefore, 1200 / 24 = 50 Urists / hr.

So the coffee high will last roughly an hour in DF time, followed by a half hour crash. I think I'll extend that to 100:150 based on my own experiences with coffee.

Quote from:  DF Wiki
A syndrome that lists its effect as starting at "5" means that for all but the fastest characters, you will begin feeling the effects as soon as you take a step. "50" means 50 time units (or about five steps), and "500" reliably suggests that you'll be able to stagger all the way back to the hospital before your brain pours out of your ears.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:44 am »

So the time it takes for the full coffee effect (both high and crash) is roughly 75 Urists, give or take a few based on resistance. There's 1200 Urists in one day.

Therefore, 1200 / 24 = 50 Urists / hr.

So the coffee high will last roughly an hour in DF time, followed by a half hour crash. I think I'll extend that to 100:150 based on my own experiences with coffee.

Quote from:  DF Wiki
A syndrome that lists its effect as starting at "5" means that for all but the fastest characters, you will begin feeling the effects as soon as you take a step. "50" means 50 time units (or about five steps), and "500" reliably suggests that you'll be able to stagger all the way back to the hospital before your brain pours out of your ears.

You think there could be a way to continue the high without the crash, resembling an addiction? I ask because, once again, I'm no rawmancer. Or is there no code in place for something resembling that yet?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 05:52:32 am »

You can make syndromes that have no end. I don't think there's something that would allow for an addiction, short of having it cause a series of stronger and stronger syndromes over a staggered period and having another food clear the bad syndrome.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 05:55:38 am »

You can make syndromes that have no end. I don't think there's something that would allow for an addiction, short of having it cause a series of stronger and stronger syndromes over a staggered period and having another food clear the bad syndrome.

To bad. Could you make the high cancel out the crash?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 06:30:04 am »

Well, as it stands currently, the crash reduces the agility and other mental stats to 80% temporarily, while the caffeine high raises it back to 120%. I don't think they overlap, if say.... a dwarf consumes another coffee drink (perhaps at a coffee house workshop to force them to apply the syndrome) it simply refreshes the syndrome back to the start.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 06:37:09 am »

Well, as it stands currently, the crash reduces the agility and other mental stats to 80% temporarily, while the caffeine high raises it back to 120%. I don't think they overlap, if say.... a dwarf consumes another coffee drink (perhaps at a coffee house workshop to force them to apply the syndrome) it simply refreshes the syndrome back to the start.

That's exactly what I was asking. Interesting.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 07:09:00 am »

I am picking. Can't seem to find it. I'm playing a saltwater swamp if that makes any difference. I also entered it into the standard plants portion at the bottom.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 07:40:49 am »

Code: [Select]
[DRY]
[BIOME:FOREST_TROPICAL_DRY_BROADLEAF]
[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]

I believe this means it can be found or grown during Summer and Spring, in the Tropical Shrubland or Broadleaf Forest biomes only.

Basically; a broadleaf forest can be found if you have these trees growing:     
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2012, 07:44:30 am »

Code: [Select]
[DRY]
[BIOME:FOREST_TROPICAL_DRY_BROADLEAF]
[BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]

I believe this means it can be found or grown during Summer and Spring, in the Tropical Shrubland or Broadleaf Forest biomes only.

Basically; a broadleaf forest can be found if you have these trees growing:     
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry. Missed that portion. Yeah thanks. Rerollng.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2012, 02:19:40 pm »

I've seen mods that had cofee before, and I've also added it myself, but syndromes make a new world of difference.  My personal taste was to make an alcoholic version of coffee called cofea(based on a real world drink), and leave it a surface plant so it would have to be imported.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2012, 12:48:53 am »

Without syndromes, coffee would be little more than a glorified alcohol.

UHaulDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • kiwisbybeat.com/minus
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human dwarven stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein Urist McStein
Pages: 1 2 [3]