Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Could use some tips here!  (Read 4196 times)

Disreputable_Dog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Could use some tips here!
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:33:33 am »

I'm not a completely new player to DF, and I've already read the wiki's info for the game, but I still hit alot of stumbling blocks while I play and keep having my fortresses fall apart. So I ask you, the great board of knowledge, what tips would you give to others playing this great game? What do YOU do to leap the many hurdles the game throws your way?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Could use some tips here!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:50:22 am »

try again and again and again.

first, don't be ashamed to over-trap your entrance, and do it fast, goblins don't wait for you to be ready, and they may start ambushing in year two.

Use therapist

If a description says deadly spittle, venemous blood or deadly dust, do not send in the melee recruits. Don't even send in the legendary axelord. Don't send anyone in in fact. Let your marksdwarfs pick it off from a safe position.

If you're determined to fiddle around with magma and water, start with it in a place unconnected to your fort untill you're confident you won't flood your fort.

Keep an eye on your booze stockpile. It's possible to be so caught up in something, like destroying a siege, that you forget to brew more. Work slows down a lot if 170 dwarfs are complaining about a lack of booze.

War animals are a great help in a fight. Giant war animals are an even bigger help. Giant war tigers are a good way to find out how fast the enemy can run.
That is all I can think of right now that is general-always-useful-advice. More precise questions will get more precise answers.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:14:47 am »

Maybe you should mention what your specific problems are...

Anyways, this diagram from the wiki helps A LOT to get a grasp of what to do in fortress mode:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:16:53 am by robertheinrich »

nxcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:05 am »

Check the wiki a lot.
Look at other fortresses on http://mkv25.net/dfma/
Search the forums for specific problems.
Banana!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:45:32 am »

If in trouble, check the wiki. If you can't find your answer there, ask over here. This is one of the most helpful forums EVER.

-get dwarf therapist
-keep a steady supply of booze and food
-set some hotkeys if you are making a fort on multiple z levels
-aquifers are hard to deal with for most beginners
-losing is fun
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:49:10 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:51:45 am »

You will need to specify your cause of death Fun.  Loss of food, too many goblins, chronic magma flooding, what?  There's simply too much for us to give you help on everything, we need to know where the issue lies!

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:40:29 am »

-set some hotkeys if you are making a fort on multiple z levels
-keep a steady supply of booze and food
-losing is fun
Mostly this and try out some simple micros this will speed up your game a lot ->instant apartments and pre carved out military barracks with ranges

also thematic forts are fun

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 10:02:15 am »

I'm going to disagree with some of the structure of that diagram. Choosing to deal with the nobility and positions is something you can put on the backburner for a very, very long time.

From me, don't be ashamed to turn off invaders and control your pop cap through d_init. It takes a lot of the pressure off of you as a fort builder and lets you take things at your own speed.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 07:11:56 pm »

Use therapist
Unless I'm missing something, there's currently no version of therapist today that works with 34.05?

I would love to be wrong though, so please, correct me if I am. :)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 07:14:15 pm »

Therapist has an auto-update system now, so the code maintainer doesn't have to release a new version every time Toady changes the version.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »

Ah ha! Mine did not do this.  Now it does!  I'm wrong!  and happy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »

Yeah, you're using a very old Therapist version.  About a year ago it began auto-updating every time it found a version it couldn't identify.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:37:39 pm »

Always keep in mind the diagonals! Fear the diagonals!

I lost a few of my earlier forts my forgetting that water/magma/goblins/bile-spewing-ice-beasts-with-six-eyes-and-nine-legs-than-undulate-rhythmicly can move through diagonals.

Wow, isn't “diagonals” one of those words that looks so funny that you think you might have spelt it incorrectly but you know in your heart of hearts that you haven't? I hate that.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:09:28 am »

Wall off.  If you feel confident, build a raising bridge by the wall, wired to a lever deep in your fort and remove the wall. Forts perpetually open to the world are what you might call expert-level. Walling off will keep you focused on your survivors, and when migrants come, well...you can always remove the wall and see what happens.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 03:33:38 am »

I disagree. Walling a fortress off from the surface is a challenge of itīs own:

- no trees
- no water
- no caravans
- no outdoor farming
- no fishing
- no hunting

Some of that can be solved by opening the caverns, but they are dangerous, too.

----

Anyways, for complete beginners I would recommend to start with an easy world by simply removing some of the FUN features until you understand how to manage a few dozen dwarves and have a stable food and booze production and some crafting going on. I think the countless ways how your first fortresses will horribly fail are certainly fun, but might discourage new users, too.

1. disable invaders until you have some weapons and armor:  [INVADERS:NO]
(file: data/init/d_init.txt)

2. lower the population cap until you feel you could use more workers: [POPULATION_CAP:50]

3. forbid pregnancies until you think you can handle a bigger population: [BABY_CHILD_CAP:0:1000]

4. disable aquifers (copypasta from the wiki):
By editing the the raws and removing the [AQUIFER] tag from all of the appropriate entries in inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt it is possible to remove all aquifers from the world. This can be done before creating a new world or after, if you find a particularly neat location ruined only by the presence of an aquifer. In order to modify an existing world, you must delete the [AQUIFER] tag from the raws in the savegame's folder.

Find the files in Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects (new world) or Dwarf Fortress/data/save/regionNN/raw/objects (already saved world).
Open the three files with a text editor (e.g. Notepad). (inorganic_stone_layer.txt, inorganic_stone_mineral.txt, and inorganic_stone_soil.txt)
Use Edit->Replace, and replace [AQUIFER] with (AQUIFER). (Use 'Replace All').
To restore the tags later, do the same in reverse. (Replacing (AQUIFER) with [AQUIFER]).

5. When creating a world, set savagery to "lowest" and minerals to "everywhere". Maybe also lower the number of populations and sites to get more embark points for yourself.

6. When looking for an embark point, try to find a spot which has:
- a river so you have fresh water without the need to go down to the caverns
- lots of trees (at first you only really need them for beds, but later on for charcoal if you donīt find coal and magma)
- shallow and deep metals
- flux (without flux you canīt make steel)
- avoid evil and savage biomes, in the best case pick something like calm, mirthful or serene.

7. When preparing for the embark, keep in mind that your dwarves can learn almost anything themselves, so itīs not really mandatory to spend a lot of skillpoints on them. Use them to bring a bit more food and seeds and maybe a couple of animals for breeding and food production. Imo dogs and turkeys are a good choice here. Turkeys lay an insane amount of eggs (donīt forget to craft nestboxes!) and dogs can be trained as war and hunting animals and are also not too bad as a source for meat, bones and leather. Bringing an anvil is not really necessary and frees up lots of points; by the time you are ready for a metal industry you usually had the first caravans visit and can buy anvils from them.

8. Use DwarfTherapist:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.0

Hm... did I forget something else which can make life much easier? Keep in mind that following all these steps makes the game *extremely* easy and you are missing lots of features. A low population cap for example will lock you out from stuff like becoming a barony. Without invaders it is relatively pointless to build weapons and traps etc. Itīs only intended to get a feel of the gameplay without getting frustrated early on.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:35:52 am by robertheinrich »
Pages: [1] 2