Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is it posssible to ignore entire forum sections?  (Read 2856 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Is it posssible to ignore entire forum sections?
« on: March 21, 2012, 02:29:28 am »

"Count to 25 before someone with pony avatar comes." is so annoying.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Is it posssible to ignore entire forum sections?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:30:12 am »

Wouldn't avoiding pony avatar be more of a ignore users feature?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 02:30:25 am »

Yeah, by not clicking on that forum to bring it up.

Unless you're talking threads, in which case, don't click on that either.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 02:31:45 am »

Actually I wish I could deselect threads to be tracked.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 02:39:48 am »

Actually I wish I could deselect threads to be tracked.
Do you mean the "Notify me of replies." button?  Maybe you can edit the original post to uncheck it, or post again and uncheck it or something.
Edit:  Looks like editting and unchecking works, but someone else will need to post to test it.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 02:40:51 am »

You can turn off avatars if you wanted to in the profile settings somewhere.  Look & Layout.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:45:15 am »

If a single line of text bothers you enough to make a whole new thread about it I don't think that the counting thread itself is the real issue here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:59:24 am »

He's talking about blocking the Forum Games section from the (I think?) "show unread posts since your last visit" thing at the top of the forums. Spammy threads down there probably clog it up pretty badly.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 04:00:22 am »

He's talking about blocking the Forum Games section from the (I think?) "show unread posts since your last visit" thing at the top of the forums. Spammy threads down there probably clog it up pretty badly.
I feel like the only person who doesn't use that.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 04:00:57 am »

That thing is entirely unnecessary anyway. If you want to see if there are new posts, you can just as well just look for the "new" thing in the subforum itself.
Whoo brofist.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:03:36 am »

That thing is entirely unnecessary anyway. If you want to see if there are new posts, you can just as well just look for the "new" thing in the subforum itself.
I think it's more a matter of time than necessity. Going through multiple forums and looking for a small "new" button is slower than opening the new posts section. There's also the possibility to miss something.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:37:25 am »

And it gives you grounds to repeatedly post in a thread to tell people to stop posting there!  Win-win.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 09:08:22 am »

I think it's more a matter of time than necessity. Going through multiple forums and looking for a small "new" button is slower than opening the new posts section. There's also the possibility to miss something.

Really? I mean, I don't exactly keep tabs on an amazing number of threads, but it doesn't seem too tough for me to just scroll around and keep an eye out for a dark blue icon next to any threads that seem interesting. Only occasionally do I get false positives and accidently open a thread I don't want to look at (yeah, I'm looking at you, 5000 page happy thread. Nothing happy should go on for so long. Nothing.) I'd have thought you'd get a lot more pointless or uninteresting threads by just looking at a big, unformatted list of recent posts, surely.

edit: just realised it's actually Relicnews forums that have the nice icons. Still, even without the icons it doesn't seem hard... but again, that might be because I only pay attention to about 1 thread a month.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:10:17 am by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 11:32:13 am »

Whoo brofist.
People use that?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:38:26 am »

How do you find new threads when you use that? Would not eventually all your threads die and with them you as well?
Pages: [1] 2