Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Homebuilt flying bird wings for humans that work  (Read 10911 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Homebuilt flying bird wings for humans that work
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:29 pm »

http://humanbirdwings.net

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/01/humans-with-bird-wings

Flight video

This is pretty much awesome. I've only casually looked through the blog, but it appears to be a set of wings constructed out of parachute cloth, attached to an aluminum tube frame. The flapping motion looks to be a hybrid system combining a set of compound pulleys that apply the pull from arm motion to the wingtips, along with two small motors powered by 4 5amp batteries about the size of hand. The tail is powered, and he's using a motion sensor cannibalized from a wii and an app running on a smartphone to handle positioning for stability

So who wants to build one?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homebuilt flying bird wings for humans that work
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:16:26 pm »

You know I was expecting the required wingspan for a human to fly to be larger. Especially if that person has to have machinery to power those wings.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:20 pm »

If I were that guy, I would legally change my name to Daedalus.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:32:57 pm »

I'd change it to Icarus, then defy fate.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:40:53 pm »

Icarus was one of the two men that flew with. The other was Daedalus, who designed and built the damn things.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »

BTW I regarded this as unlikely by default; I've heard that is a straight-out fake, now.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:52:15 pm »

Seems possible to me with a strong wind. Not true flying, but gliding.

Self powered wings ain't happening in normal circumstances. Maybe on Mars.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 09:17:34 pm »

Yeah that video... doesn't look right. My skeptiscism-sense is tingling.

For starters he doesn't seem to be flapping nearly as hard as an actual bird does (sort of a wiggle rather than a full flap), the shots of him from the side just look wrong somehow, and he seems to be moving through the air far too easily; he flies completely smoothly, not buffeted by wind at all, and I'd imagine you'd need a fair amount of wind to get going.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:20:59 pm by Nilik »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:18:41 pm »

Somebody, send a wire to the Mythbusters to see if this video is legit. And if it is so, I want one. The beach next to my house is like a natural runway on low tides.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 10:22:00 pm »

Somebody, send a wire to the Mythbusters to see if this video is legit. And if it is so, I want one. The beach next to my house is like a natural runway on low tides.

Mythbusters doesn't research the veracity of Internet videos. It tries to replicate the results of things in a garage.

Someone call Snopes, rather. If they're still active.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:46 pm »

Mythbusters doesn't research the veracity of Internet videos. It tries to replicate the results of things in a garage.

Someone call Snopes, rather. If they're still active.
They did have a couple Youtube specials and a handful of episodes that involved Youtube videos here and there.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 10:41:46 pm »

Actually, I'd imagine this is the kind of thing the Mythbusters would love to test. Remember the jet pack episode?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:03 pm »

Jamie Hyneman's thoughts on it: http://www.tested.com/articles/43440-thoughts-on-the-mechanics-of-assisted-human-flight/
An interesting read; he seems to think it's probably legit, as the parts and such shown are what would be required.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:51:38 pm by alway »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 12:07:13 am »

I think I'd rather have a human powered ultralight.  This can only fly with the assistance of a motor.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4