Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Behavior  (Read 3312 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd Behavior
« on: March 20, 2012, 06:06:44 pm »

Okay, so I have this dwarf... who just started sporadically attacking my other dwarves for no reason at all that I could find. He didn't go berserk. He didn't transform into a were-whatever. He just started fighting with them.

Is that normal? I have the save, and I am running the Masterwork mod, so I guess I should ask this there too, but has this happened to anyone else running vanilla or MW?

Oh, and to verify, I took the SOB and stuck him in the vampire room. The one vampire we have managed to kick his teeth down his throat.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 06:09:30 pm »

Did he attack a merchant caravan?

This sounds like the dreaded "loyalty cascade."

Essentially, one dwarf kills another, labelling him as an enemy of the civ.  Other dwarves then try to kill the "enemy" dwarf, which then brands them as anemies as well.  This rapidly spirals out of control.

This usually happens by picking fights with dwarf merchants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14:23 pm »

50☼ on loyalty cascade

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »

I don't think this was the case as what you described did not happen.

Although when the fight started, I was no longer able to view this guys relationships with the other dwarves. It treated him like an outsider I guess? But since the time I viewed the first incident where every dwarf in the meeting area started pummeling him for some reason, it didn't degenerate into a death spiral.

And he didn't attack any of the merchants, at least not according to the combat logs.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »

The attack doesn't generate the spiral, imo... its actual homicide.

If one of your dwarves kills him, they become "it", and the others start clobbering THEM.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 06:18:34 pm »

One way to tell: is the vampire who killed him now an enemy of your civ?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:20:25 pm »

I can still view his thoughts preferences and relationships, so... no?

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »

Might be the grudge thing. Some dwarves have grudges against other ones and take it out violently from time to time (seen it mentioned in another thread before). I had this happen in a fort once in the first season. One grower starts beating on the other (unprovoked) and kills him. One of the miners witnesses the fight and stick his pick in the first grower, both now dead. The remaining five dwarves now have nobody skilled to grow/cook/brew. I just abandoned it.

I'd assume that was what caused it, I didn't have a chance to look at the dwarves prior to find out exactly what tipped him off to strangle his growing buddy.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:35 pm »

In the civilization portion of his "thoughts" page, does it say "he is an enemy of $CIV." Where $CIV is your own civilization?

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:38:29 pm »

In the civilization portion of his "thoughts" page, does it say "he is an enemy of $CIV." Where $CIV is your own civilization?

"He is an enemy of the inky cloister".
Why does that sound familiar... oh crap. We're the inky cloister. Damn. Now I'm going to need another quarantine room to find the vampires.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:09 pm »

Congratulations! You successfully contained a loyalty cascade!

But why wall him in to die of natural causes, when you could have !!FUN!! By letting him loose!?

The many forms that a loyalty cascade can take are all the color of red, but each is a subtle hue in a rainbow of death and destruction, and each beautiful in their own right.

You DO want to have !!fun!! Right? ;)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:05 pm »

Well, considering he is a VAMPIRE, he won't die of NATURAL causes. I could channel some magma into the quarantine room from the conveniently adjacent volcano, and yes, maybe once I get bored and desire such a fitting end, but why bother wasting a perfectly good loyalty cascade NOW, with only 90 something dwarfs and none of them armed or armored to speak of, when I could save it for LATER, when I have about 200 dwarves, many of them armed and armored and legendary.

now THAT will be FUN.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:22:43 pm »

My current fort I'm putting into place a room. Pull one level, flood a level with magma, pull a second lever, all but 25 tiles are obsidianized. Repeat the process with a second water lever pull, another layer of obsidian.

Congratulations, if you placed caged baddies in the 25 specific tiles, you now have 25 caged baddies floating in magma with 26 cast obsidian walls, 1 in each adjacent tile.

At that point a murderous ghost is the only thing that can ever reach them.

Oh look, I have a murderous ghost flying around that I can't slab or bury...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?