Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46

Author Topic: The Great Heavy Metal Thread  (Read 147583 times)

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Heavy Metal Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 30, 2016, 12:18:57 pm »

I love those synths! Yeah that album was pretty groovy and cool, and evil. It was also oddly pleasant to listen to, for doom/death metal, which I usually have a hard time getting into. I like sludgy stuff like that sometimes, but only if it's really groovy. Most doom metal just doesn't resonate with me in that way, and while I can appreciate it as music, I listen to metal to feel things. Dopethrone is awesome though.

I've been listening to a lot of Anthrax lately. They're probably my favorite of the big four thrash bands. They're just so fun and goofy, but very headbangy. It's like the spirit of glam rock, but with the power of heavy thrash. Like Motley Crue meets Slayer or something.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:22:30 pm by MrWillsauce »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 30, 2016, 12:23:24 pm »

Got back to listening to punk a while ago, and its such a pity that GG Allin's songs all sound better live than the actual studio recorded versions, which sucks when you realize that the live versions are basically not properly documented due to the particular nature of GG Allin and The Murder Junkies' shows. You can see some live videos of the shows on youtube but usualy the sound quality sucks terribly, and I can't exactly link them here because I'd probably break every single forum rule and guideline in a single post.

I guess Allin's songs stand out to me because, unlike most famous punk rock bands of the time, who were either like the Ramones (IE super angsty kids on drugs) or Henry Rollins (permanently angry but actualy a pretty cool guy overall), GG Allin was a legitimally insane, hateful and overall terrible person who just wanted to cause trouble for as long as he could get away with it.

Also he crossdressed for his highschool grad photo because reasons.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 12:33:27 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 31, 2016, 10:38:47 pm »

I love those synths! Yeah that album was pretty groovy and cool, and evil. It was also oddly pleasant to listen to, for doom/death metal, which I usually have a hard time getting into. I like sludgy stuff like that sometimes, but only if it's really groovy. Most doom metal just doesn't resonate with me in that way, and while I can appreciate it as music, I listen to metal to feel things. Dopethrone is awesome though.
Glad you liked it! Yeah, they're something else.
I think the most common genre I've seen used to describe them is death-doom, but they sound very different to any other death-doom band I've heard. That reminds me, they're releasing a new album of some kind on Halloween this year! Exciting. They haven't released any tracks yet so far as I'm aware, the cover art is brilliant, though.

Yeah, Dopethrone are sweeeet. I'm listening to their new EP right now for the first time, actually! Have you heard it yet?
I like how they're obviouslypresumably big fans of Electric Wizard (whom I also adore), but sound completely different unlike many other bands.

One of my favourite thrash bands just released the cover art for their long-awaited (at least by me) new album!
Spoiler: Behold! (click to show/hide)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 05, 2016, 11:19:45 pm »

oh, by Dopethrone I meant the Electric Wizard song/album, not the band. I didn't even know about the band

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 13, 2016, 06:11:45 am »

Ahh, okay. I assumed since you said you usually weren't into doom that you meant the band, since Electric Wizard are pretty much the doomiest doom out there. :P
'Tis a great album. Probably gonna listen to that, now.

Anyway, here's some stuff I've been listening to today...
Mar Mortuum - Nihilistic Advance (album) (black metal)
No Anchor - The End (weird, enjoyable sludge-y experimental stuff who are playing with bands I like next month)
Inverloch - Distance | Collapsed (album) (Mighty death-doom/funeral doom)
Mourning Beloveth - Rust and Bone (album) (Insanely good Irish funeral doom)

...All of that is mostly rather downbeat, so here, have some sweet thrash from France:
Mortal Scepter - Execution Symphony
If that tempo change doesn't get your head banging, you're probably dead.

Oh and since I've posted a lot of Australian bands already, I really shouldn't forget Hellbringer - Awakened From the Abyss.
It's their new album and it kicks serious arse, as expected. Hopefully I can manage to see 'em live later this year. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 19, 2016, 08:39:38 pm »

Carcass rocks. I'm not really into death metal, but they do really really groovy sludgy stuff. I dig it. I'm gonna see them live in a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_Km-qetVtI

I've also been listening to a lot of Baroness lately, which isn't very heavy but it's pretty groovy and it makes me feel things. Their most recent album, Purple, is my favorite.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 15, 2016, 02:46:06 pm »

Couldn't really get into Baroness when I tried listening to them, but Carcass are pretty great.
Exhumed are one of my favourite death metal bands, though, and apparently they're pretty derivative of Carcass, so... heh.
Has the show happened yet? If so, how was it? :)

My contribution this morning: Denouncement Pyre - Black Sun Unbound.
Black metal with, like, layers and such. Without losing its bite. Certainly not the atmospheric sub-genre, though, it tends more towards blackened death.
...Man, I haven't listened to this properly before. It really is great stuff. Listening to track eight right now, it's brilliant.
Booze is Life for Yoink

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 15, 2016, 03:55:13 pm »

Anyone else think the newest Nightwish album (Endless Forms Most Beautiful) is a piece of shit?

I liked the old stuff (with Tarja) and the newer stuff (with Anette, which I like a little better than the old stuff), but the newest stuff sucks. It sounds "weird" compared to their other work, and it has unnecessary spoken (not sung) vocals. I think I'll just put most of the album in the same shit-bin as "The Poet and the Pendulum", "Song of Myself", and "The Dead Boy's Poem" (which also feature stupid not-sung vocals)...

That said the instrumental versions are cool...
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 13, 2016, 11:47:37 pm »

Space Bong - Dead In Paradise (live).

New live VHS coming to a video store near you!
Had to post this 'cause I intended to only give it a brief listen before listening to other stuff I'm planning on listening to, but then it was so good it sucked away like an hour of my life.
Booze is Life for Yoink

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 28, 2016, 06:36:27 pm »

Anyone else think the newest Nightwish album (Endless Forms Most Beautiful) is a piece of shit?

I liked the old stuff (with Tarja) and the newer stuff (with Anette, which I like a little better than the old stuff), but the newest stuff sucks. It sounds "weird" compared to their other work, and it has unnecessary spoken (not sung) vocals. I think I'll just put most of the album in the same shit-bin as "The Poet and the Pendulum", "Song of Myself", and "The Dead Boy's Poem" (which also feature stupid not-sung vocals)...

That said the instrumental versions are cool...

I enjoyed some of the stuff on their latest album, but it was certainly far from my favorite.   I would have to say that "Yours Is an Empty Hope" is by far my favorite song off of it.  The fact that Floor throws some growling in towards the end really intrigued me.  Myself, I don't so much mind the more spoken word oriented stuff (purely personal preference of course, I get where you're coming from), and quite liked "The Poet and the Pendulum."    Of course, "Once" will always be my favorite Nightwish album (with "Century Child" coming second), and "Ghost Love Score" my favorite song of theirs.    All in all, I thought "Endless Forms Most Beautiful" was very distant from perfect, but I remain interested to see how things will proceed with Floor.    I know she is certainly an excellent vocalist and musician, and I hope that she continues on with the band for a good while at least.

On another topic, what was everyone's favorite metal album of the year?

Mine would have to be "Theories of Flight" from Fates Warning.   If you don't know them and you like progressive metal at all, definitely check them out.

Fates Warning-White Flag: https://youtu.be/2J-qJ4R9Wd4
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 19, 2017, 04:32:01 pm »

Listening to some Lycus on this bleak, rainy morning whilst nursing a cup of coffee is proving to be a most pleasant experience. :)   

Oh, and whilst I'm here a should probably dump a couple of other bands I've been greatly enjoying lately, even if I'm not listening to them right now. Quite a variety in there.
Also I ordered a couple of new tapes just before, quite exciting.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 30, 2017, 11:46:32 pm »

Double-posting with some excellent new old-school Swedish death metal.
Also here's some Black Witchery! I got this on tape just the other day along with Church of Disgust's new album, stoked. :)

What have you all been listening to lately?
Booze is Life for Yoink

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 30, 2017, 11:57:33 pm »

Slayer, Repentless. Mostly the song of the same name but also other stuff from the album.

I've been trying to listen to stuff other than sci-fi and fantasy themed bands with two-word names from European countries. Stuff like Nightwish, Wildpath, Battle Beast, Blind Guardian, Iron Savior, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Power Quest, Gloryhammer, there's a lot of metal bands whose names are just two unrelated words and I love them all but it's kinda silly
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 31, 2017, 12:11:58 am »

That's actually pretty great! I hadn't even bothered listening to their latest album, but I might have to if the title track is that good.   

I thought about recommending Hellbringer for some top-notch classic Slayer worship, but I guess they count as another "two unrelated words" band name, haha... oh well, give this a listen anyway, it's freakin' badass. Also they're from Australia, which is always a bonus.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 31, 2017, 01:30:25 am »

Reminds me of Raining Blood, which is the first Slayer song I ever heard!

It's mostly the sci-fi and fantasy themed stuff I'm trying to get away from, I was just jokingly observing about the naming convention. I've been listening to songs about robots and space wars and ancient kingdoms and magical quests for a while, I'd like something a bit more grounded for a change of pace.

Phantoms of Death by Helloween is a good example even if I already posted about it in the other music thread. The lyrics aren't about any specific real thing and it's dressed up in imagery, but the parallels are easy to draw. It's kinda why I like the singles from Repentless so much, they're relatable in a way that the metal I've listened to all my life hasn't really been (for the most part). Even if I can't tell what Pride in Prejudice is supposed to be saying.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46