Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46

Author Topic: The Great Heavy Metal Thread  (Read 147584 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Heavy Metal Thread
« Reply #615 on: August 01, 2016, 08:18:15 pm »

Cropsy Maniac - Roadkill
New track from Cropsy Maniac's upcoming album. Fun, violent horror-themed death metal with a pinch of thrash. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

atari911

• Bay Watcher
  • How did I get here!?
    • View Profile
    • The Lair of Atari911
« Reply #616 on: August 05, 2016, 04:02:56 pm »

Wow, all this time and no one has mentioned Acid King!?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ZCQCC7FEo
Running the entire world on a 2008 macbook!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 25, 2016, 10:45:03 pm »

Acid King are great!
I need to listen to more of them. Never really paid them too much attention.

Some bands on the lineup that I'm really looking forward to seeing. And a bunch of mediocre ones, but oh well!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 25, 2016, 11:04:39 pm »

Sabaton's new album is out, it's about last stands and is titled Last Stand. They had sufficient good will from me for me to purchase the special edition. All told, I'm neither thrilled nor disappointed. The bonus cover of  Camouflage is definitely the stand out to me.

I'll post links when I'm able to search YouTube for them.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2016, 12:19:34 am »

Here's Camouflage. Rest should be suggested.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 26, 2016, 09:33:26 pm »

So, I made it to that gig I posted about in time to catch part of the last song by... the second band, I think?
Not bad
Booze is Life for Yoink

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2016, 05:35:28 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 03:00:56 pm by SirQuiamus »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 28, 2016, 04:39:32 am »

Sabaton's new album is out, it's about last stands and is titled Last Stand. They had sufficient good will from me for me to purchase the special edition. All told, I'm neither thrilled nor disappointed. The bonus cover of  Camouflage is definitely the stand out to me.

I'll post links when I'm able to search YouTube for them.

I was terribly disappointed by Last Stand, It sucked live at the Breeze and it sucks on CD...don't know why, then again ive been constantly disappointed with Sabaton albums until i get used to them...usually because some friend or other constantly has them running...

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 30, 2016, 01:08:04 am »

I can't really take Sabaton seriously. I mean, most metal is over the top and stupid, and I love it for that, but something about Sabaton lyrics just makes me feel embarrassed. I think it's the reverence, and the way they try to make military history badass, when the only people that into military history are huge dorks. There's just something about the way they weave dates and historical facts into a song that makes me cringe. Maybe it's better to listen to in Swedish or whatever. Besides that, I just don't think they're that good.

I went and saw Boris a little bit ago, and that was probably the best show I've ever been to. Definitely the loudest. I'm not really a fan of Boris, since they mostly do really slow experimental doomy stuff, but they were playing Pink, which is really thrashy and groovy and awesome.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbw62iCsS34

Just imagine that being blasted right in your face. They played a pretty long set too, so I didn't really mind when they played their drone stuff; it was nice to get a breather before getting back to the righteous guitar shredding. Also they had a gong.

Besides Pink, Akuma no Uta is their only album that I like, and not all that much. They're still really good, just not for me. I only wish they were a thrash band; they're so good at it!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 30, 2016, 04:21:09 am »

MrWillsauce! I haven't seen you in what feels like ages!
Welcome back! :D

The example you linked sounds pretty cool. Personally I'm a fan of both slowwwww doom and breakneck thrash... in fact one or the other extreme tends to be what I enjoy most, haha. I can understand how it would be somewhat annoying for a favourite band to only have one or two albums in the style you prefer, though. For some reason I feel like I should recommend Acid Witch*? I dunno.

Good to see you again!

Edit: * - Acid Witch - Stoned To the Grave
Try that one for size! I've always liked this band for their mix of doomy stuff and kickass up-tempo bits. ...Actually maybe not the best song to demonstrate the latter, but it's one of my favourites so eh. MMMMM is another great song of theirs, a lot more fast stuff in that one.

...Did I mention the spooky/cheesy synths? Yeah there's a lot of those too, it's gold.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 04:35:50 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 30, 2016, 08:10:01 am »

Ah, the eternal divide in the house of metal, between the dorky ones and the edgy ones.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 30, 2016, 08:32:57 am »

I'm familiar with the Sabaton song Midway from one AMV, don't know their other stuff.

Taking a look at Sabaton song lyrics e.g. "Stalingrad" the clear problem is that nothing in the song actually tells you what makes Stalingrad any different to any other battle in history:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sabaton/stalingrad.html

Basically it's just a screed on the horrors of war, with a few place names and the names of each side's country leader tacked on top. Who were the generals etc? Where's the mention that Stalingrad was heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe? Any mention of the house to house fighting that it devolved into? Nothing. Actually Cool military metal would tell more of a story. You shouldn't be able to just cross out the battle name / place names mad-lib style, and turn it into a legit song about any other battle, e.g. this song would work fine if you changed germans v russians to Greeks v turks at the battle of Constantinople.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:43:16 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #627 on: August 30, 2016, 10:18:16 am »

Taking a look at Sabaton song lyrics e.g. "Stalingrad" the clear problem is that nothing in the song actually tells you what makes Stalingrad any different to any other battle in history:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sabaton/stalingrad.html

Basically it's just a screed on the horrors of war, with a few place names and the names of each side's country leader tacked on top. Who were the generals etc? Where's the mention that Stalingrad was heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe? Any mention of the house to house fighting that it devolved into? Nothing. Actually Cool military metal would tell more of a story. You shouldn't be able to just cross out the battle name / place names mad-lib style, and turn it into a legit song about any other battle, e.g. this song would work fine if you changed germans v russians to Greeks v turks at the battle of Constantinople.

Consider listening to more than two songs before passing judgement. :v

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 30, 2016, 10:28:01 am »

I flicked through the lyrics for half a dozen, that was just an example. The source is here:
http://www.azlyrics.com/s/sabaton.html

Other examples are Counterstrike which is about the 6-day war. I guess that ones better because it is just a laundry list of the main things that happened. But the lyrics are still terrible, and kinda racist, describing the Arabs as "traitorous neighbors", despite the fact that the song glorifies the sneak attack by the Israelis that started the war.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:38:22 am by Reelya »

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 30, 2016, 11:50:58 am »

I flicked through the lyrics for half a dozen, that was just an example. The source is here:
http://www.azlyrics.com/s/sabaton.html

Other examples are Counterstrike which is about the 6-day war. I guess that ones better because it is just a laundry list of the main things that happened. But the lyrics are still terrible, and kinda racist, describing the Arabs as "traitorous neighbors", despite the fact that the song glorifies the sneak attack by the Israelis that started the war.
...You are aware that the various Arab nations were planning to attack the Israelis before the Israelis preempted them, right?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 46