Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, I was looking for a challenge...  (Read 5086 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
So, I was looking for a challenge...
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:02 pm »

What would the denizens of Bay 12 recommend? Before telling me how I should risk the lives of my short bearded lunatics, I will say:

No items not happening: I read reports of the wagon not being present with no stuff. Plus I like to dig.
No HFS: That's a mess I'll take on when I feel I must.
Let elves live: Screw them. I need wood for beds, soap, and charcoal.
Megaprojects: I can barely keep a fortress from collapsing under the wieght of dwarves flipping shit when armydwarves die in battle(I'm not fond of traps or ranged combat; Just not as satisfying as watching goblin limbs and teeth fly from a morningstar to the face or battleaxe to the arm.) Another I will do only when I am ready.
Evil Embarks: I gen worlds with no curses or evil rain. I like to live longer than five minutes. So if you suggest that bear in mind I will have no husks or bloodvomit inducing rain to deal with.

I know the above makes me sound undorfy, but damn it that's stuff I'm not ready to tackle at my skill level: See above trouble keeping everyone happy due to ludacris numbers of casualties and deaths due to people not being seen to in a timely fashion. Or lack of soap.

But there are still other challenges, of which I don't know what to pick from. I do have a few personal mods made, and some little habits I've grown accustomed to, so these might be an influence on choices:

Chainswords: Nothing short of candy coating will stop even the copper ones. And only dwarves have access to them, as a show of technological superiority.
Gladius: Felt like adding it in for flavor. If I should add the rest of a Roman soldier's (namely the Lorica segmentata and square scutum) gear, say so.
Stonehammers: Where there is stone, there is weaponry.
Anvil casting: I've taken to just casting anvils and tools on-site.
Various weapons rescaled to dwarf size, or otherwise made usable by them.
Elven babysnatchers: I got sick of thier pack animals hurting my soldiers.
Mountain barbarians: Slavers who like to smash things with maces or thier bare hands
Homemade Spawn of Holistic: My own brand of !!FUN!! creation, credited to Mr Frog for the raws. Can make dwarves into spawn via zombie apocalypse biting rules. 1 in 4 chance, so every fourth bit of torn skin on 4 different dorfs will probably result in a screeching monster.
Wether or not I should PROJECT SPARTAN any childeren.
Capturing megabeasts for a fighting pit: A little habit I like to indulge in. Pitch a goblin down four z-levels to a waiting Ettin or Minotaur. Always satisfying as they knock greenskin teeth out.

So let's see what you propose Bay12! And for !!SCIENCE!! be sure to tell me what I should do for it. Never done any proper stuff outside of Arena combat testing.
Will it be a glacier?
Scortching desert?
Above ground fortress?
Trying to figure out a way to lobotomize crundles?

Let's see what you got.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, I was looking for a challenge...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »

I like the roman stuff. Why not make a Roman fort. Divide your military up into Hastati, Principes and Triari (Light armour, heavy armour and then speardwarves maybe?) or make post marius legions. Build in Roman Red and make white walled villas. Drink dwarven wine a lot (plump helmets so actually a bit of a freebie). Build loads of roads and replicas of Roman buildings eg columns and statues in crevices. Build aqueducts. All that good shit. Embark in the most brutal place and try to bring the light of roman civilization.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:54:28 pm »

Surface/Cavern fortress is always a nice bit of extra challenge.
Here's my version.
Basicly the only thing you're allowed to dig for is stone ore and stuff, not actual digging out rooms and living within the stone. Every building and structure you make has to be constructed. Every wall or room, all the labor of hard work and good planning!
You'll either be living on the land aboveground or the caverns, in case of the latter you can ofcourse also dig your way below, after that same rules as aboveground.

I'm also inclined to say for extra challenge disallow traps completely. The exception being cage trap but only or the purpose of capturing wild animals. The rest all military or traps you've engineered yourself.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:05 pm »

I like the roman stuff. Why not make a Roman fort. Divide your military up into Hastati, Principes and Triari (Light armour, heavy armour and then speardwarves maybe?) or make post marius legions. Build in Roman Red and make white walled villas. Drink dwarven wine a lot (plump helmets so actually a bit of a freebie). Build loads of roads and replicas of Roman buildings eg columns and statues in crevices. Build aqueducts. All that good shit. Embark in the most brutal place and try to bring the light of roman civilization.
Hmm. Tempting. Only issue there is making the damn dwarves follow the typical Legion's order of battle.
I'm gonna need to find a place with ALOT of marble for thise one. And red hued stones...

Surface/Cavern fortress is always a nice bit of extra challenge.
Here's my version.
Basicly the only thing you're allowed to dig for is stone ore and stuff, not actual digging out rooms and living within the stone. Every building and structure you make has to be constructed. Every wall or room, all the labor of hard work and good planning!
You'll either be living on the land aboveground or the caverns, in case of the latter you can ofcourse also dig your way below, after that same rules as aboveground.

I'm also inclined to say for extra challenge disallow traps completely. The exception being cage trap but only or the purpose of capturing wild animals. The rest all military or traps you've engineered yourself.

Alright, we have us another suggestion! I wanna see what more pople have in mind before I make a decision(Or maybe I'll put the most popular 2 to a vote)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:54 pm »

Drop pod ChainDwarfs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

Drop pod ChainDwarfs.

I've been trying to come up with a delivery system that keeps them in one piece actually.

Everything I think off tends to end with broken bones or extreme vulnerability....

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:32:27 pm »

What about the animal cushion technique?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 05:41:32 pm »

What about the animal cushion technique?

I am unfamiliar with this, but I would imagine .... I got it.

I'll make a pair of retracting bridges one z-level above the entrance, retract one dumping war dogs, kittens and whatever else I happen to have, and then the second, deploying the steel coated chainsworddorfs into the fight, hopefully with minimal injury.

With luck, the combination the animals' weight of numbers and them falling on thier heads will distract invaders long enough to allow the assault ma- I mean dwarves to regain thier senses and chop the invaders to ribbons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:53:58 pm »

If you drop a creature on top of an animal, the creature being dropped takes no fall damage. Test it in arena mode so you understand ho it works ^-^

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 10:38:30 pm »

I say aquafier Mountain, with a corner of forest, added in with all units must be military and working dwarves at same time.
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 10:58:58 pm »

You really should give embarking partly on an evil area a try. The trick is to make sure there's a none evil area so you can store your corpses.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 12:17:43 pm »

You really should give embarking partly on an evil area a try. The trick is to make sure there's a none evil area so you can store your corpses.
Real dorfs embark on 100% Terrifying areas and weaponize the zombies.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 03:28:50 pm »

Real dorfs embark on 100% Terrifying areas and weaponize the zombies.
In Soviet Mountainhome, you weaponize zombies!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »

Nonono

In Soviet Mountainhome, zombies weaponise you!

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:59:49 am »

if you want i can give you some raws from when i made Gnomes the main playible civ or you could do something like remove an arm in the raws (dwarfs with one hand)
Pages: [1] 2