Scotish (Rich and Raidable)
- 3 (21.4%)
Mercians (Tiny and Tenacious)
- 1 (7.1%)
Northumbrians (Big and Badass)
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Has Sprung a Leak in a Storm  (Read 25811 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Fourth Thing of the Twelve Bays On Hold!
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »

I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: The rest of the Pictish provinces are terribly exposed. I'll just need to shuffle a couple armies around, and then we can start invading.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:41:32 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2012, 06:38:03 am »

Bump. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2012, 03:23:55 pm »

Well, I'm kinda at the stage were the initial enthusiasm has worn off. Plus it's Easter too, so... yeah. Don't worry, I should have the update ready by Monday/Tuesday.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 5

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

...Thank you.  Just, just thank you.

My army is going to be the hammer that will bash the Saxons into submission?  YES!!!

I don't even care about a mercenary army anymore, I had no idea I would get somebody as good as this! 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Nice. Are you going to attack the Picts straight on, or will you land troops in most of their defenceless provinces at once, to strike an heavy blow and deprive them of funding?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

For what its worth, this LP made me dust down my copy of Shogun and give it a blast. After a week or so I found it strangly unrewarding, so obtained a copy of this, and have been having a great old time taking over the British Isles as the Welsh (Welsh Bandits are pretty damn good - top quality archers, fast, good melee and charge, and to top it all can stealth in open fields. Shame they are ridicously expensive), and Northern and Eastern Europe as the Danes (who are ridicoulosly OP in the Early period thanks to thier Viking units - granted, you cant train any more after about 1200 which makes any you still have kind of useless, but my trading network goes from the Baltic to the Nile coast, so I have more than enough cash to replace them with standard units). Waiting for the Golden Horde to arrive as the first people they will run into will be my eastern outposts around Muscovy, Smolensk and Lithuania. Should be entertaining.
This is a blank sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't even care about a mercenary army anymore, I had no idea I would get somebody as good as this!

Neither did I.

Nice. Are you going to attack the Picts straight on, or will you land troops in most of their defenceless provinces at once, to strike an heavy blow and deprive them of funding?

I'll probably start in the Orcades and work my way down. Once a couple of the stacks in Fib move north (or kill themselves in Lothene) then our armies will start moving from the south. Ideally I would be able to attack Athfothla and Monoth at the same time, so that we can get some of those retreating shenanigans that happened with the Welsh. Of course if that happens then Domon will be swarming with Pictish troops, but we can never have too much money.

After we conquer Pictland and the Picts are safely contained in Domon then we can easily launch a simultaneous, three province attack on the Scottish, since we'll have three armies in the area (Sheb's, Sirus's and the third one that'll take over border duty from Sheb). After wiping out the Scots on the mainland Ulster will be a breeze. No fortresses or infrastructure besides mines/farms, and it's protected by the same two units since the start of the game (a unit of spearmen/archers). Actually, I would probably be able to find four units of landsmen from somewhere to take Ulster at the same time as the rest of Scotland, thus pretty much wiping them out in one turn (unless they manage to fight us off in Cyil).

Waiting for the Golden Horde to arrive as the first people they will run into will be my eastern outposts around Muscovy, Smolensk and Lithuania. Should be entertaining.

Best of luck to you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Bah, that was an anticlimax. Turns out the Great Khan shows up as a lowly 3 star general with no heirs. A zero valour assasin took him out and reduced the horde to a minor nuisance ready to be mopped up.

Soon the mighty Viking emire will stretch all the way to the Eastern Steppe...
This is a blank sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Has Sprung a Leak in a Storm
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2012, 08:45:48 pm »

Crap. Medieval Total War has suddenly stopped working on me for some reason. Whenever I try to run the game, a message about ~f39a36.tmp crashing pops up and then the game stops.1. Uninstalling/reinstalling has gotten me nowhere, and according to the internet ~f39a36.tmp is just a random temp file that some programs use. I'll try running some scans on the off-chance that something I've recently installed2. has messed with some random files that Medieval Total War (and only Medieval Total War) uses, but I doubt that it'll work.

Anyways just letting you guys know that this LP is on hold until further notice, perhaps indefinitely. Any suggestions would be helpful, even if I don't exactly expect them to work.

1. Well, M_TW.exe (or whatever) keeps on running, but it doesn't actually do anything besides take up a chunk of memory.
2. If you're wondering, it's the old Discworld video-game3., from 1996 or something like that. Ironically enough it was completely unplayable, since it would crash when you tried to enter certain rooms.
3. I'm going on a Discworld binge, if you're wondering. To heap on the irony, I quite literally thought "This can't possibly go wrong" as I was installing the game.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Has Sprung a Leak in a Storm
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2012, 04:03:14 am »

I have had multiple issues with it recently too - basically, clicking on Sweeden would CTD. Turns out that the game simply cant cope with newer grapical settings/cards. There are huge numbers of threads on the Total War forums about it, and it boils down to a few issues...

• If you are playing on a laptop with integrated graphics chip, there isnt a whole lot you can do. The game cant cope with being forced to display a square resolution on a widescreen laptop - changing your lappys resolution to a square one might help, but didnt for me and didnt for others too.
  • Turning off AGP filtering in dxdiag might help. Didnt for me.
  • Antialiasing of x2 or x4 might work, if you have a GPU with such settings enabled
  • nVIdia cards with newer drivers CTD the game a lot. Peiple had success with rolling drivers back to ones from around 2002/2003
  • Some DVD players interact in an odd way with Medieval.exe - use task manager to close them if they run in the background

Nothing worked for me and I had to play without interacting with Sweeden at all - this was a game killer as Sweeden was one of my core provinces geared up to prodce ranged units with multiple morale, weapon and armour upgrades. As a result I have uninstalled the game in a fit of WTF like angers.
This is a blank sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »

I have had multiple issues with it recently too - basically, clicking on Sweeden would CTD. Turns out that the game simply cant cope with newer grapical settings/cards. There are huge numbers of threads on the Total War forums about it, and it boils down to a few issues...

• If you are playing on a laptop with integrated graphics chip, there isnt a whole lot you can do. The game cant cope with being forced to display a square resolution on a widescreen laptop - changing your lappys resolution to a square one might help, but didnt for me and didnt for others too.
  • Turning off AGP filtering in dxdiag might help. Didnt for me.
  • Antialiasing of x2 or x4 might work, if you have a GPU with such settings enabled
  • nVIdia cards with newer drivers CTD the game a lot. Peiple had success with rolling drivers back to ones from around 2002/2003
  • Some DVD players interact in an odd way with Medieval.exe - use task manager to close them if they run in the background

Nothing worked for me and I had to play without interacting with Sweeden at all - this was a game killer as Sweeden was one of my core provinces geared up to prodce ranged units with multiple morale, weapon and armour upgrades. As a result I have uninstalled the game in a fit of WTF like angers.

Since it has worked perfectly fine before, I'm assuming that it's not suddenly freaking out over my video card. The only connection that I could find between ~f39a36.tmp crashing and Medieval Total War was due to incorrectly modding the game. Needless to say I haven't been modding the game. Bah.

Since Medieval Total War still isn't working properly, this LP is now officially dead baring any acts of God. Sorry about that folks.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 16, 2012, 04:00:30 am »

Damn. It's a shame: the LP was brilliant.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:37 am »

Agreed, it was fun while it lasted though. Thanks for the game USEC.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2012, 01:24:21 am »

Was fun whilst it lasted. Shame about the technical difficulties, but they're a part of life. I'm looking forward to your next LP!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8