Scotish (Rich and Raidable)
- 3 (21.4%)
Mercians (Tiny and Tenacious)
- 1 (7.1%)
Northumbrians (Big and Badass)
- 5 (35.7%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Has Sprung a Leak in a Storm  (Read 25803 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile

Oddly enough, I'd thought that you would claim it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

An opportunity to kill Saxons, with Longbows, as the Viking puppet ruler the King of Dyfed - how could I pass it up?
This is a blank sig.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've played the next turn.  The Northumbrians may be cowardly, but those Saxons are pretty bad-ass. Must be their Germanic blood or something. Our offensive is barely one turn in, and several fronts have already stalled. Gah.

An opportunity to kill Saxons, with Longbows, as the Viking puppet ruler the King of Dyfed - how could I pass it up?

I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I forgot to put you in the army of Wales. The good news is, wait. That was the good news. Never mind.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

So, essentially, I'd be fighting more battles than anyone else?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile

Well I will be damned, my glory days as king came and went in a blink! I never expected to become king so fast, sorry about not noticing, I tought it would be weeks.  :-[ Send me a pm next time you need me to do anything and I might notice and answer in time!

Secretly an adulterer, aye? Well, I bought my kingdom glory and had a nice time to booth so what can I complain about?
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, essentially, I'd be fighting more battles than anyone else?

Well you would be, if we didn't lose our only inn to the Saxons. Unlike in Rome and up, you need an actual building to hire mercenaries. And, after a new inn was constructed, not enough money was left over for a respectable mercenary army. *Sigh* Bloody Saxons.

Well I will be damned, my glory days as king came and went in a blink! I never expected to become king so fast, sorry about not noticing, I tought it would be weeks.  :-[ Send me a pm next time you need me to do anything and I might notice and answer in time!

Yeah, I've been updating ridiculously fast (for me), so I know where you're coming from. Still, you've lasted for more updates than Sheb, mostly because the Welsh were smashed in no time at all, and the Northumbrians didn't live all that long either. If you want to, I can place you in command of the Royal Army, since nobody is commanding it right now.

Secretly an adulterer, aye?

Yep, though it never came to light. And if it did, you'd only get a -2 to piety, which isn't the worse trait in the world. Plus, look on the bright side: At least you aren't a pedophile! Yeah, it is possible, and of course one of our (minor) commanders is (secretly) one. We honestly need a better screening process for our leaders or something. Most of them seem to either be inbred or morally corrupt. *Sigh* Bloody Vikings.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

Puts on best Darth Vader voice:

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nothing to see here (yet).

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Fourth Thing of the Twelve Bays On Hold!
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2012, 04:31:56 pm »

Turn 4

Spoiler: I hate you too game (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defence of Reget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cold War (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Everything (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: That's more like it (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: That's less like it (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Both of the Royal Armies are free if anybody wants them.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:39:56 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Viking: Total War! Fourth Thing of the Twelve Bays On Hold!
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2012, 07:21:38 pm »

Pillage Cornwall, then burn it.  That's the Viking way.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:57 am »

Meh... :-\

I'm never gonna get the mercenary army am I?  Can I please have either of the royal armies, and a character?

If you ever do get mercenaries in the future, would you be so kind as to switch me immediately to them? 

Please and ( in the future ) thank you. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2012, 05:45:38 am »

That's a lotta Scots :o

You win some, you lose some, eh? Raze Cornwall. I'm sure they would agree if they were in your shoes. Then lets bring the hurt to the Saxons.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2012, 06:24:41 am »

Yeah, it's a pity the scottish and pictish bordersare so well defended, those two armies could be taking the fight to them instead of chilling. Actually, couldn't we try to slug it out with the Picts? Aren't their troops weak, if numerous? Ain't I the WARDEN OF THE NORTHERN MARCHES!?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2012, 10:02:08 am »

Meh... :-\

I'm never gonna get the mercenary army am I?

Not against the Saxons, but the Irish will probably feel your wrath. If we get enough plunder from the Saxons, then maybe the Picts/Scottish. In peacetime a lot of the money we get goes to building projects, but I can easily set some gold aside to summon your army.

Can I please have either of the royal armies, and a character?

If you ever do get mercenaries in the future, would you be so kind as to switch me immediately to them? 

Please and ( in the future ) thank you. 

Sure thing.

Yeah, it's a pity the scottish and pictish bordersare so well defended, those two armies could be taking the fight to them instead of chilling. Actually, couldn't we try to slug it out with the Picts? Aren't their troops weak, if numerous? Ain't I the WARDEN OF THE NORTHERN MARCHES!?

Well, fighting on two fronts isn't the best thing to do, but I'll have to check and see how many troops they have away from the border. If their forces are all concentrated by the border, we might be able to slaughter a lot of them1 and them steamroll up the country. I'll have to check their troop strengths in their other provinces. Actually I think that the Scots would probably be the better target, since their country is hemmed in by the Picts, and the rest of their provinces are relatively unprotected. Of course then we'll have a much larger border with the Picts, along with a border with the Irish, since Ulster is Scottish.4

1. Unlike in Rome Total War, each side can only have 16 units in a battle.2 Thus having armies larger than 16 units isn't that great of an idea, unless you are the defender or have siege weapons or archers or something.3 Therefore we should be able to kill/route the first stack, and then any reinforcements get a morale penalty from all those reinforcements, thus allowing us to rout them faster. In theory at least.
2. Unless you have more than two factions fighting in the same battle, in which case every faction gets 16 units and damn the consequences. Obviously we'll be lucky if we manage to see on of these battles, and if we do, it'll probably be the Picts/Scots/Irish against us. Lovely.
3. When siege weapons/archers run out of ammo they become pretty useless, so if you have reinforcements you can rout them and get a squad of more useful units. Note that siege equipment cannot move at all, so they can't appear as reinforcements (or something like that).
4. The roots/beginnings of the Kingdom of Scotland came from Ulster if you're wondering why Ulster is Scottish. Historically they're not called Scotland in this time period5, but obviously the game designers decided that they needed to have Scotland as a faction.
5. Ironically they stole the name from the Picts.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2012, 10:25:15 am »

Fighting on two front may not be a good idea, but an army idling is an army not bringing in plunder money or new province. As Stworca once said: "An army is an investment, an army not fighting is like an idle factory."

The Scots might make for a great target: our navy trumps their, and isn't used right now, so we could cut their forces in two. We don't even have to invade Ulster right now, we can do that once Great-Britain is under control.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8