Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ceiling?  (Read 837 times)

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ceiling?
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:54 pm »

I decided to start my first above-ground fortress, and it's been going well except for the fact that I can't put a ceiling over my buildings. What am I doing wrong?

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:15 pm »

You need to build a ramp outside the building to allow your dwarves to get to the next highest Z level, then build a floor.

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 11:55:41 pm »

Try using the < and > keys (case sensitive!) to go up and down layers, then build a floor on top. In order to reach the top you need to have up stairs/down stairs just like an underground fortress. All of this said, its easier to build underground. Aquifers have forced me to live on the surface before and it makes everything a pain.

vertinox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Let's Play Dwarf Fortress (tutuorial) Videos
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:57:04 pm »

Technically to build a ceiling on a building you need to build a floor. Basically what I do is build a wall and then a ramp next to it so the dwarfs can get up there and then build floors attached to that way. Then when the ceiling is done, deconstruct your ramp (don't want goblins wandering around your roof tops do you?)

Sounds like you already go the walls so build an up ramp next to them and then build floors over the interior of your buildings.

pandamage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:02:32 am »

I got it now. I didn't think to build a ramp to get the dwarves up there. Thanks for the help!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »

Or just use up/down stairs...

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:34:48 pm »

Or just use up/down stairs...

Ramps are better because you can 100% remove them from ground level -- you don't have dwarves stuck on the roof after taking down the Down stair, or a random hanging down stair because your dwarves couldn't reach it after taking down the up stair.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 08:40:13 pm »

Dwarfs can remove the down stairs from the up stairs, if you deconstruct them the right way you can build much easier multi z-lvl scaffolding