Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Once a Weapon Is Named...  (Read 11505 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Once a Weapon Is Named...
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:22 pm »

Yes, except that a naming event seems more structured than a mood.  Moods appear to randomly choose anything in the relevant skill set and produce it from random materials.  Naming seems to occur along a poorly defined, but still present, grading scale of some sort.

Point being, it's not random "oh shit name it now!" like a mood that can occur on a migrant who just arrived.  It takes some amount of collective effort to name a weapon.

So are moods.  The likelihood of a mood is influenced by fortress wealth and the number of existing artifacts, and the product is determined by the dwarfs skills and preferences (your weaponsmith like crossbows? he'll probably make a crossbow.  Your marksdwarf like crossbows?  he's probably going to grow attached to his faster than the guy that likes high boots.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:32 pm »

On this subject, I've had a palm buckler and wooden shield 'named' just recently, both had 0 kills.

Is this a new feature or a bug?

I'd like to see it as the first; their trustworthy shield deserves a share of the glory seen as it kept my heroes alive through their endless struggle with my enemies.

rooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 02:50:54 pm »

Some pictures of my named shields;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 03:10:53 pm »

Knowing the RNG, enough dragons and you'll get a spear called 'Anusrape'. And I suppose that's a plus.
Actually, 'Anus' and 'Rape' got removed from the RNG :'(
:'(

Now I can never continue the chronicles of Ushriragak - Quakeanus - in the modern era.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 03:21:14 pm »

You guys do know that they took out sparring injuries, right? Like, in my 2010 fort I had a quarter of the fort train exclusively with live weapons for a dozen years and never had a single sparring injury. There's no real reason other than material availability to use training swords.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 03:57:09 pm »

Training weapons are extremely useful for "live fire" training.  Order your soldiers to kill medium sized wild or cavern creatures and they will wail on the things for months if equipped with training weapons.
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »

...And get exhausted and nibbled to death by a thousand angry hedgehogs.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 06:42:38 pm »

Named weapons are not magically stuck to the dwarf.

They will prefer to use their favored weapon, but only if the uniform allows it. If you allow a dwarf to use any weapon or any melee weapon, and their favorite weapon is a wooden training sword, they will stick with their wooden training sword.

Instead adjust the uniform so they will only use steel swords. Or maybe axes made out of any material. Both of these uniform types exclude wooden training swords, so they will be forced to pick up another weapon.

This works just fine for me. I have my dwarves switching between weapons, even named weapons, without any problems simply by adjusting what uniform they're wearing.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 07:03:15 pm »

Training weapons are extremely useful for "live fire" training.  Order your soldiers to kill medium sized wild or cavern creatures and they will wail on the things for months if equipped with training weapons.
What do they do when they get hungry/thirsty/tired?
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »

If you lock them in with something that can't be killed by conventional means (with a training weapon), but is otherwise harmless (fleshball?), then they just wander off for a drink, a plump helmet or two.... then right back to defeat the warm, round, jiggly menace.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 07:40:26 pm »

I think my current fort has 3 artifact weapons that came about through being named.  In every case, the weapon was named after slaying a megabeast.  (One spear has killed two of them now; a dragon and a bronze colossus.)

If they become named through a point system, but a megabeast results in lots of points... this makes sense.

I wonder if a weapon in a weapon trap can get a name if it kills enough goblins/trolls.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Fnear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 08:18:12 pm »

Named weapons are not magically stuck to the dwarf.

They will prefer to use their favored weapon, but only if the uniform allows it. If you allow a dwarf to use any weapon or any melee weapon, and their favorite weapon is a wooden training sword, they will stick with their wooden training sword.

Instead adjust the uniform so they will only use steel swords. Or maybe axes made out of any material. Both of these uniform types exclude wooden training swords, so they will be forced to pick up another weapon.

This works just fine for me. I have my dwarves switching between weapons, even named weapons, without any problems simply by adjusting what uniform they're wearing.

That hasn't worked for me.  My legendary axedwarves both have some attachments (not even named yet) that they don't give up despite their uniform being steel steel and more steel (and I have re-assigned the uniform to them after each edit).  One is using a copper axe, and the other a wooden shield.  I suspect I could specifically assign items to them and that might work?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 08:30:20 pm »

You can dump items which are attached but not named.

You can also disband them from the military briefly.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:00 am »

I'm surprised Âsax hasn't been brought up yet.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:44 am »

Crossbows are the first things to get attachments and names in my forts.  Probably because they train, hunt and kill with them.  I always try to get any attack shot at before the melee units close in, so they are usually ahead on kills.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5