Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Proper burial for a missing miner  (Read 4365 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Proper burial for a missing miner
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »

The other day, I ordered my miner to breach a magma pipe for my forges. Expecting it to slowly seep out and allow the dwarf time for escape, I was quite surprised when it rushed out, filling the channel almost instantly and clouding the area in magma mist. Needless to say, the miner didn't make it. Later, I got an announcement that he has been missing for a week, but since his body and all his belongings were consumed by Armok's fiery rock-blood, it wasn't found, so I guess he's not officially dead yet. It won't let my engrave him a slab, so is there any way to declare him s dead, so it lets me engrave one?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Proper burial for a missing miner
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:38:31 pm »

dfhack

the game is still a little buggy, so some "cheats" are completely essential to playing the game.
Otherwise he'll turn into a ghost with no chance to put him to rest since noone found his body.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:39:36 pm »

Thing is, if his ghost appears and a dwarf sees it then they know he's dead. When they know that, you should be able to slab him.

If he appears as a ghost and haunts the inside of the volcano however, he's shit out of luck.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:41:19 pm »

Yes, but that's an awesome and somewhat happy conclusion to his problem.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »

If he appears as a ghost and haunts the inside of the volcano however, he's shit out of luck.
LOL - had to sig' that!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:00 pm »

Fortunately, he died right next to my magma forges and stuff, so someone will probably notice his ghost sooner or later. Its kinda sad through. His friends and family continue to hope that he's still alive because I - the only witness (and sort of the cause) of his death - cannot speak up.

Zahariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:01:05 pm »

The dwarves won't declare their people dead without incontrovertible proof, to wit, a bleeding corpse or a ghost. This is because you can get the "hasn't been seen for a while" announcement if the miner in question is just off in the tunnels mining by himself for a few months (at least, this is supposed to happen, although I don't know if it actually works right). If you were allowed to slab the poor guy at this point, he could come back and see his own cenotaph, which... might upset him a bit. I had this problem when my mason and woodcutter fell prey to the waterfall pathfinding bug (which was pretty awesome before the first migration, let me tell you; fortunately I had enough wood already cut that I didn't feel the loss of my only axe too badly), but I couldn't do anything for either until they came back as ghosts to haunt my fortress a while later.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:05:41 pm »

Fortunately, he died right next to my magma forges and stuff, so someone will probably notice his ghost sooner or later. Its kinda sad through. His friends and family continue to hope that he's still alive because I - the only witness (and sort of the cause) of his death - cannot speak up.

Personally I was rooting for Mmmmmaaaagggggggmmmaaaaaaa G-g-g-g-g-g-ghooossssssstttt.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:38 pm »

Only good things will come from this. If he doesn't turn into a ghost, that's the end of it. If he does, give the greedy troublemaker a slab. Also make a "special" hospital for near-death patients, to be flooded with magma, so they will "go missing" saving you the trouble of setting up a coffin. Especially useful on nobles, no more stupidly expensive tombs!

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:20:21 pm »

Personally I was rooting for Mmmmmaaaagggggggmmmaaaaaaa G-g-g-g-g-g-ghooossssssstttt.
When you say it like that it makes me think of WKUK quote where they go "Naaaaiiiilllll Gun!!!"
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Linenoise02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:30:08 pm »

The dwarves won't declare their people dead without incontrovertible proof, to wit, a bleeding corpse or a ghost.

And not even then, sometimes.  I had a child get kidnapped by a goblin.  The goblin got out of the fort, but ran smack into a human caravan, which cut him down.  Looking at his loot, he was carrying two bags - one of which contained the child's corpse.  Bummer.  I unforbid the bags, figuring my dwarves would walk out to collect the bag, wonder why it's so heavy, and.. you know.. look inside.

Months later, a ghost appears right on my front gate.  I check, and sure enough, it's the kid - who is still marked as missing.  With all my haulers running right past him to bring in loot from a slaughtered elven caravan.  I tried to slab him, but he didn't show up in the list.  I finally track down his corpse, still in the bag, sitting in my dye stockpile of all places.  I mark the corpse to be dumped, then unforbid it, and only then did someone realize "Hey, ain't that yer boy Cog?" and bury him.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:09 am »

I've had a sacrificial miner kill 2 dwarves already... He has a thing for legendary dwarves :-(

Been around 2 years, no name available for slabbing. Apparently his corpse is laying around somewhere, but I can't zoom to it. Magma tapper, so I'm pretty sure he's gone, lol.

Didn't know dfhack could help in this, he just killed my legendary cook! Those masterwork stacks are what I use to buy everything off every caravan, just for the fun of it! Bah! :p

EDIT: Ok, I looked around, found the clear-missing tweak... That did nothing. Ghost is still flying around killing legendaries. Is there a different DFHack function I'm missing?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:02:00 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:40 am »

Magma ghost coast to coast!
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 08:26:30 am »

I have a miner who got in the same...... predicament and well, his ghost has been lingering for about 4 years now and he's apparently still missing, I've purposefully sent dwarves to stand next to the ghost,/dig around it/do stuff there with the hope of them finally realising he's dead, but no luck.

I recently tried DFhack, is it the 'tweak' command? I tried that one and it said about changing missing tags to dead, but the miner is still tagged as missing. Luckily he's just a ghost that lingers where he died.
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:12:14 am »

I had the same problem but once he became a ghost they realised he was dead.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.
Pages: [1] 2