Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possible bug  (Read 3262 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bug
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »

I'm not a Windows user, but my understanding of the issue, based on forum threads here, is that if DF goes too long without making a system call, Windows assumes it's gone catatonic, and gives you the "should I kill it now?" offer.

Normally DF updates the screen after each year of history has been processed.  But on slower computers, when generating larger worlds, or worlds with longer history, the time DF can spend on a single year can exceed Windows's "it's gone catatonic" threshold.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bug
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 09:47:11 pm »

I'm not a Windows user, but my understanding of the issue, based on forum threads here, is that if DF goes too long without making a system call, Windows assumes it's gone catatonic, and gives you the "should I kill it now?" offer.
Not so much "Should I kill it now?" as "That bitch is going down hard, NOW!"...  >:(
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 [2]