Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Possible bug  (Read 3266 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Possible bug
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:40 pm »

I wanted to post this in bug reports, but I couldn't for some reason :?

I recently downloaded DF .34.05, and when i try to create a new world, it crashes. Anyone else have this problem, and anyone know how to fix it?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible bug
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 04:37:36 pm »

Try different world settings with less time

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »

unless you give more details on what world you were trying to generate and if you edited any raws, noone can give an explanation. Did you edit anything? how big a world and how long a history? anything else special about it? Does it crash immediately or after a while?

if it crashes without you changing anything and using a standard worldgen and immediately, it's probably a bug. Or your computer.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »

I wanted to post this in bug reports, but I couldn't for some reason :?
The DF Bug Reports forum is closed in favor of using the bug tracker instead.  Sign up for an account there if you need to report bugs, but please read the "Notes on Bug Reporting" thread first.

Look there for similar bug reports first.

I recently downloaded DF .34.05, and when i try to create a new world, it crashes. Anyone else have this problem, and anyone know how to fix it?
Is this a totally vanilla install?  Or did you add a tileset and/or use the Lazy Newb Pack?  Did you grab the SDL or Legacy version?  What world parameters are you using?  At exactly what point does it crash?

More details would be helpful.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »

I have other things installed, but nothing that directly affects DF unless I activate them. (DFHack, Dwarf Therapist, that's about it.) I have the LZN but I don't use it. No tilesets. I tried it with various settings, I'll try again. If not, I'll try giving a screen shot.
"zzz"

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:25:01 pm »

Also, the object testing arena works. I can't create a world though. :/

I had parameters at:
World Size: Medium
History:Very Short
#Civ: Medium
#Sites: Medium
#Beasts:Low
Nat. Savagery: Low
Mineral Occurence: Frequent.

I even tried setting all the settings to their very lowest. No luck. Any ideas? I'll try re-installing and see if that works. If so, I'll post back.
"zzz"

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:32:42 pm »

Sorry for triple post :/

No luck. I redownloaded it, and no change. I had SDL the first time, and this time I got Legacy, there was no change.
"zzz"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 09:30:25 pm »

Might just be that your computer can't handle it. Try making an advanced parameter set identical to a small/smaller region, but set Werecurse types to 0.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:06 am »

you got to year 4, it crashed in 5. World gen is kind of hard on a computer, mine is not too old and can't really get past 250. When it get's too hard it will generally crash.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:22 am »

That's not a DF error, that's a Windows system error.  Looks like UAC or DEP.  User Access Control or Data Execution Protection.  Toady and Bay12 doen't include any Publisher info in their executable, so these Windows features try and crash it, to prevent a virus or copyright violation.  *shrug*  That's what I make of it.  Could be wrong.  I still get, the Publisher error msg popup, each time I start mine without the Lazy Newb Pack.  I went into DEP and put an exception for Dwarf Fortress.exe, ea time I install a new copy.  Dunno if that'll help you, could be a memory error like was mentioned. 

Ice, you do have lotsa oddball icons down by the date/clock with lil red Xs on them.  Might have too many apps in a stasis, hung state.  Friend of mine got that error.  Heck I think we all can get it, if we force a crash, doing too much stuff.  Open 40some IEXPLORERS, then try any program, betcha that window will appear.  I could be wrong, but I think its telling you, in courteous geek, that your low on system resources, close some stuff.  Dunno. 

Do ya know how to up the priority and run it on other processors, through the Task Manager?  Before I would do that, I'd tweak my Advanced System properties, to Best Performance.  I'd run the melt the case energy profile, not that treehugger profile.  Your USBs are powered regardless, and the monitor is the major drain.  Just turn off the monitor... if ya wanna save bark.  And if you wanna REALLY hug trees, shut off your USBs, they are always ON, in the Device Manager.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:49:07 pm »

I got that error from Windows when I tried to generate a large world in 34.01.  I had to go with pocket worlds.  I can generate a large world now in 34.05 but it is damaged in some way.  It's playable, but not reproducible from the same parameters.  I am having to use medium worlds.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 03:50:27 pm »

This is the latest Political rewording of an old unfixed Microsoft memory error, a general fault error.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_protection_fault

MS hid the toggle to disable it.  By default, we give them logs and information.  Kinda makes your hair on your neck stand, doesn't it.  But that is how it is now, we agreed to it, before we installed their OS.  To disable this: Open Help and Support and type: Stop reporting problems for a program Now your app will just crash, like you want it to.

Windows says its Bay12, Bay12 says its Windows.  Its a no winner for the End User.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 03:56:05 pm »

My computer had absolutely no problem with previous releases. I dunno why it would kill mine. But, who knows.. I'll try the thing with the werewolf curse thing.
"zzz"

JLT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 05:14:37 pm »

My computer had absolutely no problem with previous releases. I dunno why it would kill mine. But, who knows.. I'll try the thing with the werewolf curse thing.
Have you tried moving the DF folder to a different location (e.g. desktop, to see whether that's the problem) or running DF with admin rights? Windows might block some part of DF leading to the crash.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »

Aye, try running as admin, and does it give any kind of details later on after it finishes it's checking for a solution routine, faulting modules and all that jazz with a hex dump?
Pages: [1] 2