Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma Flow Tile !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 932 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Magma Flow Tile !!SCIENCE!!
« on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:05 pm »

It has proven tedious to search for previous threads on this as you might imagine.

So far I have found that if you build a construction on a magma flow tile removing it will turn it to a more common tile (furrowed silty clay loam in my embark) same as for other floor material changes when constructions removed. Obsidian can be cast on the new tile directly over the SMR. Constructed up-stairs or floors on magma flow tiles will also support casting of course.

Naked Dwarves are not injured by standing on magma flow tiles.

Magma flow tiles randomly flash yellow for unknown reasons (Phoebus tileset).

Next to determine is whether a changed magma flow tile will still eat cast cave-ins that fall on it. I suspect not.

Long-term project goal is a HFS fully-pathable insta-kill corridor.

Lowest level of the apparatus; shut down to clear some obsidian from two pump's outputs (two water control dwarves went to sleep simultaneously) and to allow the water reservoir to refill.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Access construction after test-run.

So many job cancellations.

Progress so far.

Casualties have been low. So far.

Any other magma flow tile !!SCIENCE!! experiment suggestions? (31.25)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Magma Flow Tile !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Re: Magma Flow Tile !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »

As previously known channeling into unrevealed SMR will leave a ramp of biome/ level common rock covered by a magma flow tile.

A cave-in will punch through the magma flow tile, destroy the ramp below it and replace it with a magma flow tile on the ramp's level.

Or if you build a floor over the magma flow tile that covers the ramp in the SMR and then remove it before dropping the cave-in the collapse will leave a natural wall of biome/ level common stone down in the SMR.

With extreme frame-by-frame-based micro-management I think it could be possible to channel two adjacent holes into the SMR if they are both revealed in the same frame. If so you could then mine to any deepness in the SMR.