Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: dwarven elderly care  (Read 6185 times)

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
dwarven elderly care
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »

Stop making vampires useful. Think creatively.
1. catch a vampire.
2. create a vampire blood well somewhere in your fort.
3. seal it off as your sacred relic.
4. wait for your awesome dwarves o grow old (149 to be precise)
5. retire them in your sacred relic room.
6. Profit!

enjoy the most realistic elderly care system a computer game can offer - painfully slow evil dwarf-like old-persons who suck the blood out of young people(dwarves). isn't that realistic? Then go to the part 2:

1. give a retiree a helm(et) and drop him off a cliff(not very long drop, just enough for some of his elderly bones to break...)
2. patch him up.
3. Rinse and repeat
4. Profit.

Now you are the head of an american pharmaceutical company. You are testing new healing techniques on old persons. Isn't this an american healthcare system?

P.S. if someone could explain me what in this message is SO "offensive" that I should move it out of DF fortress mode discussion - I will be very grateful. I must be missing something....

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: dwarven elderly care
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »

Seems pretty average to me.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:54:35 pm »

Seems pretty average to me.

that is exactly my point. compare to original reaction... http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105034.0

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:55:10 pm »

The offensive part is where you are attacking the US healthcare system when you are supposed to be talking about the game.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 12:56:46 pm by Dutchling »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:57:25 pm »

The offensive part is where he's comparing grandparents to blood-sucking monstrocities.

EDIT: The healthcare thing was pretty offensive too.  But the first thing that made me see red was the grandparents = homicidal blood-drinkers comparison.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TeleDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 01:11:07 pm »

The offensive part is where you are attacking the US healthcare system when you are supposed to be talking about the game.

:) That is really hilarious.
My point was:
US healthcare = working healthcare. maybe the only one really working in the world.
working healthcare = a lot of human experimentation. how much real operations on real people should a surgeon do to be considered doctor? answer is: a lot! Or do you think they are just reading books during their internships?
old people need more healthcare then young people, so by a small chute -- please note that a chute is just deep enough. not unnecessary deep. no bloody explosions... -- we just add that age-related health issues so our doctors may practice on the REALISTIC scale.

in what other game have you seen something like that? you invest some money in the health lab, and huray! you can now treat cancer!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »

I... don't think you know how healthcare works.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 02:24:49 pm »

The difference between american healthcare training, and DF healthcare training is that in DF you need to manufacture injuries. In america, we have so many people and so much activity that we already have more ACTUAL injuries than we can even treat, much less practice on.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

KainInt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »

My entire family is in the medical profession, and I can assure you, surgical interns stand-in on dozens of operations, and then gradually step up from things like removing tonsils, to more complicated procedures. If the hospital their internship is located in has no more complicated surgeries, they stay in internship.

They're not simply thrown to the wolves and expected to do a double bypass during the beginning of internship.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:38:48 pm »

I don't see anything listed which hasn't been previously mentioned.   I guess maybe this topic is for the political references??

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:29:10 pm »

That's why they call it "Practicing" medicine.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Exlo

• Bay Watcher
  • Retirement homes are for lobsters!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 08:20:37 pm »

Did I see someone get mad on Bay12 for something someone said?

I'm being completely serious when I say I don't think I've ever seen anyone genuinely offended about anything on here. I honestly thought we were all too hardened by Dwarf Fortress to actually care anymore. I guess I was wrong. As for me - "Urist McExlo has been ecstatic lately. ... He doesn't really care about anything anymore."
Clearly, this represents six side-by-side wheelbarrows, as indicated by the right half of the icon.  The left half indicates they are carrying babies with hats in these wheelbarrows.

Presumably, they are lining up to dump them into the baby furnaces.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 09:52:02 pm »

Why are people offended when someone points out the fact that the US healthcare system is shitty...its a fact >.>

>>Now you are the head of an american pharmaceutical company. You are testing new healing techniques on old persons. Isn't this an american healthcare system?<<

Believe it or not most pharma companies probably do worse than this...and no American healthcare does not work...the fact that our medical expenses are multitudes higher than anywhere else is just one major indicator of how bad it really is. The whole being run by people with conflicts of interest and bloodsucking CEOs is another. And if you dont agree...do some research and look how many politicians have their hand in the medical industry in one place or another...then look how many of those people put forth legislation to conveniently benefit whatever part in it they have and ultimately make themselves more money.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:59:19 pm »

The offensive part is where he's comparing grandparents to blood-sucking monstrocities.

EDIT: The healthcare thing was pretty offensive too.  But the first thing that made me see red was the grandparents = homicidal blood-drinkers comparison.
Try thinking about them as anything but when you consider how your old age and pension is going to be compared to theirs, or the fact that most politicians were probably in their teens or twenties during the sixties but expect the young to live like saints now.

As for healthcare, here in the UK we have a prime minister who's trying to privatise the NHS and allot of people are pointing to American healthcare as an example of why he shouldn't (not that a Tory pm would ever listen to the people he's supposed to represent). Someone said the US healthcare the only working one in the world, the NHS is one of the most efficient in the world.

......ah damn it I've brought my political views into df.

Anyway df healthcare is nothing like the US healthcare, for starters it's free, secondly I think the doctors, in the US, have to be more qualified than showing up and saying that they're alright at bone fixin'

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:12:40 pm »

Why are people offended when someone points out the fact that the US healthcare system is shitty...its a fact >.>

>>Now you are the head of an american pharmaceutical company. You are testing new healing techniques on old persons. Isn't this an american healthcare system?<<

Believe it or not most pharma companies probably do worse than this...and no American healthcare does not work...the fact that our medical expenses are multitudes higher than anywhere else is just one major indicator of how bad it really is. The whole being run by people with conflicts of interest and bloodsucking CEOs is another. And if you dont agree...do some research and look how many politicians have their hand in the medical industry in one place or another...then look how many of those people put forth legislation to conveniently benefit whatever part in it they have and ultimately make themselves more money.
The reason prices are as bad as they are is because of the Government stepping in to it.  And what other countries are you talking about? don't say Canada because their system is a joke.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.
Pages: [1] 2