Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mineral scarcity problem  (Read 7761 times)

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mineral scarcity problem
« on: March 18, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

Last region I've embarked on had very little ore diversity, despite wordgen mineral occurence being set to 'frequent'. Only ores were hematite (a lot of it), tetrahedrite (everywhere), some sphalerite and little galena. For some reason there was no gold, silver, bismuth, etc. though most layers were igneous (granite, basalt, gabbro). Biome - some temperate forest.
What should I do to get more mineral diversity?

Also, tried to play with the latest version of Masterwork mod and got a more severe problem - there was absolutely no gems or minerals on all leyers except in caverns (found some collapsed bricks in marble though). Official pre-installed version was used, most settings on default with all fortress defense options turned on. Worldgen - smaller region with mineral scarcity 1500 and increased number of megabeasts and titans. Biome - haunted plain.
What am I doing wrong?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mineral scarcity problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »

1) Are you embarking on a specific type of site? Normally people complain about diversity because they are always embarking on volcanoes - volcanic areas only have a few types of stone layers thus don't have a whole bunch of minerals in those layers. Same goes for oceans and swamps, mostly.

2) Talk to the mod developer. He can help you more than we can.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:03:40 pm »

Site was a temperate forest.
Does it affect ores? I mean, wiki says that igneous layers contain gold, so shouldn't one get at least some if most layers are igneous?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:04 pm »

Since 31.19 or so, ores are not found globally.

The ore frequency does not determine how much of a given material will be there, it determines whether a material will be there at all.  The amounts of materials that are present are based purely upon their vein type. 

Unless you set ore frequency to the absolute minimum value, what it means is that those materials will not be found in a certain percentage of the world, and at default settings, there are wide swaths of the world with no metals at all.

Likewise, the game tries to use some realistic mineral frequencies - coal is only found in sedimentary layers, for example.  Pay attention to layer types when you are embarking.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 11:16:47 pm »

I see, thank you.
So it is necessary to embark and launch prospector repeatedly until you find ore? Is there some faster/less tedious way?
Will setting scarcity to 0 give all ores that can possibly be on layers of appropriate type?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:19:52 pm by weegth »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:20 pm »

Well, you already got the best ores, so I wouldn't complain about "just" having iron, copper, tin, and zinc in a forest for plenty of charcoal.  Provided you have flux, you already have basically everything it takes to make everything you need.

If you just aren't happy unless you have everything in your fort, though, then you should just take advantage of the worldgen parameters to make ores have the absolutely most common setting possible.

You should also try to embark on either sedimentary or a split sedimentary/igneous embark.

I prefer to make custom worldgens where I significantly up the x- and y-variance of things like vulcanism and most other things (try around 1000) in order to get worlds where there are much more smaller biomes, so that I can have an easier time finding a spot on the edge between two different types of biomes, and get igneous and sedimentary halves of my embark.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 11:41:24 pm »

I see, thank you.
So it is necessary to embark and launch prospector repeatedly until you find ore? Is there some faster/less tedious way?
Will setting scarcity to 0 give all ores that can possibly be on layers of appropriate type?
You can run prospect and prospect all before you embark, actually. It'll give an estimate about what minerals will be present in the biomes you're currently hovering over. I've found that it always seems to be accurate about what minerals will actually be present, though the numbers are off, it seems to always say there's 4 layers of soil no matter how many actually exist, and it cannot notice adamantine's presence or absence before embark.

Scarcity 100 is the minimum. At that level, you'll basically always have as many large clusters (1), veins (2-4), and small clusters (~20) as is possible in each local tile on every z-level. They're also usually of several different types. However, since a particular stratum's inclusions all are usually consistent and there's a larger number of minerals that could be included in a stratum than there are spaces for them, you won't be guaranteed every mineral that could possibly be found in that strata type. For instance, an igneous extrusive stratum might have 2 vein-size inclusions, and those may be cinnabar and cobaltite. In fact, it's completely impossible for every mineral that could be in igneous extrusive strata to be in a particular stratum; there's 8 vein-size possible, for instance, but again, only 2-4 will be chosen.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

weegth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 11:47:49 pm »

You can run prospect and prospect all before you embark, actually.
Tried it, works great. Thanks!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:50:46 am »

I'd just like to point out for the record, though, that gold is freakin' useless.  Steel is almost the only metal you need, although copper, tin, and zinc can be useful in situations.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 02:58:29 am »

Gold is not completely useless. One of my more recent forts is filled with it, and I have taken it upon myself to build a set of gold pillars reaching into the sky, on which shall be placed a golden disc covered with golden buildings which will house my dwarves. I imagine that most problems with happiness will vanish quickly once the dwarves ascend to heaven, though sadly it seems FPS death may ensue first.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 03:24:22 am »

Gold with its value 30 is great for building your everyday stuff from and skyrocket fort value. It's much more abundant than platinum or aluminum (both value 40), not to mention candy. Furniture, statues, buildings etc.
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:08 am »

as a side note, galena and tetrahedrite means you also have a supply of silver
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 05:24:30 am »

I love gold! More abundant than anything more/equally valuable, so it's the perfect furniture material. I have nothing but gold and artifact ones once my forts get going. Good for studding too.

Worst comes to worst, nice for making bins.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:06:47 am »

Gold is good for crafts and room value. Whats the prob?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 08:48:11 am »

I prefer to make custom worldgens where I significantly up the x- and y-variance of things like vulcanism and most other things (try around 1000) in order to get worlds where there are much more smaller biomes, so that I can have an easier time finding a spot on the edge between two different types of biomes, and get igneous and sedimentary halves of my embark.

^ 1+ That.   Max out possible subregions as well as tweaking the mineral-occurance values, and you should be good.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7
Pages: [1] 2 3