Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best Floorplan for...  (Read 7884 times)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best Floorplan for...
« on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:52 pm »

I'm wondering what floorplan/furniture arrangements people think are the best. In particular, how big is your typical dining room, and how do you arrange your tables and chairs? I know that technically dwarfs will just climb over any furniture in the way, but I'm one of those people who always makes 2x3 bedrooms instead of 1x3 bedrooms because it annoys me as too "game-y" (probably because I came to DF via Sims 2.) So, my first dining rooms were single table/single chair groupings separated from each other by one tile. Then I tried four chairs per table, sometimes staggered to pack more into a particular space.

My current standard dining room pattern is two chairs per table, arranged in rows. An 11x11 room fits 15 tables and 30 chairs, with plenty of space in between for engravings later. I can't always crank out furniture and smooth floors fast enough to make chairs for everyone, but I figure if there's seating for at least a third of my population, that's fine. Am I wrong on that?

Anyone else have any floorplan preferences for other uses? Jails? Statue gardens?

xar23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Floorplan for...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 09:48:31 pm »

I try to make it so that there is one chair per table, and one chair touches no more than one table.  IIRC dwarves can get unhappy thoughts from having to share a table (I could be wrong, or quoting something that is no longer true, but at one point I read this).  So I tend to make big dining rooms set up like restaurants for lonely people.  If they want a party, they'll throw it at a table.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 09:50:50 pm »

Yeah, 1:1 ratio of tables and chairs is best. Also, lots of open space, engravings, etc.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:59:54 pm »

I like to set it up in feast-hall manner (a big 'U' shape with the entrance at the open side and the ruler having a designated table in the center of the closed side), and put things like chained animals or statues in the center.  The ruler usually gets things like massively, gaudily decorated table and chair to make sure the value gets pushed up high enough to counteract that it's in multiple rooms.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »

I have started playing with a new bedroom arrangement, as a dual purpose vampire and tantrum spiral defense. A 6 by 6 area area is dug out and a bed placed in each corner. Four chairs are place in the center of the room, each adjacent to a table. This is used as the basis of four rooms, where each dwarf ought to eat at their own table, and only socialize with their three neighbours. The theory is that they are will become friends with their room mates and keep an eye out for each other, in case of any unsavory pasty faced characters.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »

i wish dwarves of high-standing could throw feasts in dining rooms designated as meeting halls.  The feast would be just like a party, except instead of standing around in a room, dwarves would all eat at the same time.  Dwarves trying to attend without having a table to eat at would get a thought.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:49 pm »

I used to make the dining room restaurant style with single tables, then diner style with sets of four tables.  Lately I have been making a double row of tables with chairs along both sides, like a big trestle table in a feasting hall.  That leaves more room around the edges for them to socialize.

I used to give them 5x5 bedrooms, in groups of three with a common foyer for decorations, but with these new huge migrations I don't have time to make those.  Now they just get 3x3s with a bed and a cabinet, in back-to-back rows like townhouses.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

-Firestar-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:09:14 am »

My dining hall is always set up like a feast hall. Double rows of tables that go the length of the hall with the chairs on the outside. This leaves the outside as room for engraved pillars, statues and other gaudy things.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 03:35:16 am »

My dining hall is always set up like a feast hall. Double rows of tables that go the length of the hall with the chairs on the outside. This leaves the outside as room for engraved pillars, statues and other gaudy things.
This tends to be my default set-up as well, typically with a well at one end and a waterfall at the other. Usually, I tend to place a large prepared food stockpile next to the entrance and have bedroom corridors branch off from the dining hall.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 05:14:20 am »

I like to put a panic lever into my main feast / meeting hall (connected to drawbridges which seal the inner fort from the outside). Because there will always be a couple of dwarves hanging around there in case I need a fast shutdown. And some kind of backup system is good to have, too. A while ago some tantruming guy deconstructed the ONE lever right before a siege arrived...

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:54:25 am »

I always set communal dining room tables and chairs out in cross formation with a central statue (preferably masterwork).
Code: [Select]
..h..
..T..
hTSTh
..T..
..h..

There's always 1 floor tile between cross formations.
It's just force of habit I suppose.

I usually leave engraving of the main dining room until I have at least a couple of legendary engravers.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 06:13:05 am »

WWWWWWW
W......
W.ccccc
W.ttttt
W.ttttt
W.ccccc
W......

Make it as big as you want.
The space between rows is for fountains, waterfalls, statues and levers.
Sometimes I build a moat of magma and/or water around it too.

angelofthedark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:22 am »

I'm always wondering how other player build their fortresses and what they look like. So I uploaded a few images of my current fort to my Deviantart Account here.

In this case I made my dining hall like
WWWWWWW
WFFFFFW
WCTFTCW
WCTFTCW
WCTFTCW
WFFFFFW
WWDWDWW
W = Wall
F = Floor
C = Chair
T = Table
D = Door

And when I need to make it bigger, I just add a room with the same pattern and remove the inner walls. Then I add some statures, armor stands and weapon racks, smooth and engrave the walls and the dwarfes are dining in a legendary dining room.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:01:04 am »

I'm always wondering how other player build their fortresses and what they look like.

Here's mine from a little while ago.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:58:57 am »

I'm currently building a U shaped great hall for my fort, with two rows of statues with tables with chairs on each side of the statues, and a mist generator down the middle. I've also built my dwarves 5x5 bedrooms with dining rooms inside, and a workshop with stockpiles below, giving them no reason to leave their little pods unless they were in the military or a hauler.
Pages: [1] 2