Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world  (Read 36211 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:36 pm »

I used subscription games for a while, so it does not bother me. Assuming the devs run the servers, with a game this size, the devs really do need constant income from the players (think of the cost of the servers!), or it, very simply, runs out of money. No way to implement F2P either, as this style of game does not really support this idea. With F2P a common thing nowadays, this is a major disadvantage. If it runs by private servers, this removes the need for constant income.
I would totally run a private (open to the public, even, given mod powers,) server to get F2P status.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2012, 04:30:38 am »

So the Developers is planning on having P2P. $10/month. That's no big hit. He wants a free trial but doesn't know how to implement it without having the griefers ruining everyone's hard work and still letting them experience the full game.
Wait what. Can we get a link to the proof please?

Edit: nevermind, found the thread. Well, looks like it's blackmail diplomacy time.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:33:12 am by Dariush »

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2012, 04:45:22 am »

Curse you internet! Why does the good stuff need online transaction.  :'(

I'm a cash in hand person dammit.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2012, 07:02:15 am »

I don't really mind it, sure a free trial would be nice but if the game is good then $10 is not that much.
That's a big "if" actually, i can imagine a number of things that could go wrong. However, even without a free trial, the open beta should be free so it'll be a good opportunity to check it out. When and if there's an open beta. Or a game at all for that matters.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2012, 07:21:25 am »

I hope they release a one time cost single player mode.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:24 am »

...Wow, the alpha testing has barely started and the dev guy already doesn't care about anyone's opinion. Let's see how far he gets with such an outlook.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2012, 11:23:35 am »

Wow. I went in and read the thread, and damn. Seriously count me out now. Real costs take precedence over virtual costs, and I can't afford to spend money repeatedly on essentially "an experience" as opposed to tangible goods at this point. Especially when the experience in question isn't even finished! (Note: I have supported the Toady One. I didn't do it because he expected or demanded it, but because I had money to spend on experiences over tangible goods at the time, and DF is an experience I want to continue to get better.)

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2012, 12:30:02 pm »

Yah, launching a new P2P online game in this era is a fools errand, unless you are literally one of the top 5 biggest players in the industry. Even THEY are weary to do so now. Players have caught on that the servers don't cost nearly as much as they want you to believe to maintain. This is why WoW has recently laid off 1/3rd of their support staff.

(Edit: wait, it's permadeath? Yah, fuck this I am not playing this game even if he's paying me $10 a month)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:40:18 pm by Tilla »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »

(Edit: wait, it's permadeath? Yah, fuck this I am not playing this game even if he's paying me $10 a month)
If someone was paying me $10 a month to play an online wilderness survival game...

I'd be earning around 1/12th of the minimum wage in my country. Fuck Ukraine.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

Well, that was a disapointment.

I quote from my post there:

You realise that if the game is as good as you say it is you should be able to make more than enough off donations? Hell, I'd be fine it if were a one time payment, but monthly subscriptions are bullshit. When you go into monthly subs, is goes from people playing because the game is good to people playing because they're addicted to a shit game.

I seriously hope you change your mind and rethink using the monthly subscription model

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2012, 01:15:10 pm »

If someone was paying me $10 a month to play an online wilderness survival game...
I'd be earning around 1/12th of the minimum wage in my country. Fuck Ukraine.

Whoa that sucks. I guess i understand your reluctance then. And yay for France where the minimum wage is ... 144x$10 at the current rates (i honestly didnt think i would see the day where i'm somewhat glad to live in my country :o)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:18:38 pm by Sirian »

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2012, 01:46:44 pm »

You're paying around 33 cents a day to play FE WHEN IT COMES OUT, which is a tiny bit far in the future. Dig in the couch cushions every afternoon and grab some change and you'll probably have enough to account for that days subscription. If he was money hungry it would be 15 dollars a month, but its only 10. I spend more than that at the store buying snacks I don't fucking need that'll last me a few days, much more taking my girlfriend to dinner or to go to the movies, to watch Hockey at a sports bar. 10 dollars a month is nothing, unless you already earn nothing to begin with.

And he's an indie dev without even a fraction of the support Toady has..
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 01:54:37 pm by zehive »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2012, 02:43:52 pm »

Fuck Ukraine.

:'(

Anyway, now thanks to you guys, I'm even more of a cynical bastard.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:39 pm »

You're paying around 33 cents a day to play FE WHEN IT COMES OUT, which is a tiny bit far in the future. Dig in the couch cushions every afternoon and grab some change and you'll probably have enough to account for that days subscription. If he was money hungry it would be 15 dollars a month, but its only 10. I spend more than that at the store buying snacks I don't fucking need that'll last me a few days, much more taking my girlfriend to dinner or to go to the movies, to watch Hockey at a sports bar. 10 dollars a month is nothing, unless you already earn nothing to begin with.

And he's an indie dev without even a fraction of the support Toady has..
He's an indie dev working on a very ambitious project. And many people don't want to waste 10 dollars on an indie P2P game, if the game is good then he wouldn't need subscriptions in the first place.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:36 pm »

I don't think the subscription cost is that big of a deal. Unless there is no way to do a free trial of the game, then screw it. Unfortunately since the game is going to be so deep according to the developer, it'd be ridiculous to actually see how much you like the game with a few day trial. It'd need some sort of 2 week or month trial.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8