Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world  (Read 36221 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:15 pm »

Do want. PTW. Posted in alpha testing thread too.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00:05 pm »

I'd be okay with a cap at the late Neolithic age. Farming and stone tools are available, but horses are still wild and nigh uncatchable.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »

oh boy, genetic algorithms governing the behaviors of wild animals, that could then be selectively bred for docility

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 09:11:53 pm »

I'd prefer to reach medieval tech myself: no messing around with fancy chemicals(naptha doesn't count) so the technology remains accessible to most people, and the gap in power can't grow that large, but we still get plenty of mechanics to play around with.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 09:32:28 pm »

All any of us really want is the ability to create a ☼FORTRESS☼.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:06 pm »

i don't

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:20 pm »

Meh, my limit would be Çatalhöyük style settlements, which was actually quite advanced for being over 7,000 years old.

Also, read about this place, built by hunter gatherers 12,000 years ago. Holy shit...
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 10:26:04 pm »

Posting to watch/posted in the thread in the hopes of getting an alpha invite. Looks damn interesting, and hope it lives up to some portion of the hype.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »

Yeeessss...

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2012, 01:20:17 am »

Either way, we need to band together if this game really comes to fruition. Bay12 is on the case, theres loads of us already postan in that thread, we're set. Obviously, after the game advances we can spread, but when it actually releases, if enough of us are still around, I say we stick in it together.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2012, 01:52:58 am »

PTW.

Also...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:33 am »

My only worry is that the dev is going to use game mechanics to force people to come up with utopian-like societies by outright disabling theft and murder. It sounds good, disabling those things, but if you don't have those capabilities, or the ability for war, or battle, or gangs, or general theft or anything of the like... suddenly the game becomes much more dull and I have a hard time seeing the point in what I'm doing. Okay, I'm exploring new land... why? I'm scouting out another city.. why? I'm making 8 million chains for chainmail... why? Who even needs chainmail, they dont need self defense. I might as well go start a riveting career making doorknobs so I can have a house in this town with other people where they'll need doorknobs. Sorry, but in video games I don't work as a tradesman. I travel, get into weird circumstances, like knowing I may need to protect myself and then PROTECT MYSELF. Its part of the thrill.

Not to mention, things like this generally end... badly. If someone is griefing your town what can you do? Can't kill him, so at that point you have to report him to a moderator, but then suddenly you have moderator intervention in a player-run game and things become blurry.

If he really completely entirely disallows bad things with his game engine I'll probably say screw it, find a river and make a boat and then shove off for god knows what
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:35:52 am by zehive »

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 04:27:16 am »

zehive > i'm not sure but maybe there will be pve combat. I think the idea of disabling theft, murder and all the bad things is interesting, too many of those sandbox titles come pre-packaged with "open world pvp" = griefer heaven.

I mean, those pvp games certainly have their own appeal, but sometimes you just want to do your stuff without worrying about omnicidal maniacs going on a rampage. You say "I'm exploring new land... why? I'm scouting out another city.. why?" well you could also say "I'm killing people...why ? stealing their shit... why ?"

The answer to both is "because it's fun" (to the person doing it). So basically the game creator is saying "i want for builders, crafters, social people, explorers, harversters, to have fun". Maybe you're not one of these, but then, hey maybe it just means this game isnt for you. Just like EVE online's PVP isn't for "carebears".

That's how i see it anyways. I also think that small doses of pvp can create more involvment and interest towards the game, because there's the drama and tension of losing something and beating your enemies, but i don't see how you can allow pvp without opening the gates to all the griefers and maniacs.

Edit: you mention not being able to kill someone griefing your town, this can be solved by enforcing territory permissions and being able to repair the damage done.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:32:16 am by Sirian »

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:54 am »

is it free?

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2012, 04:31:03 am »

is it free?

If not: BuyitBuyitBuyitBuyitBuyitBuyitBuyitBuyit
If free: DownloaditDownloaditDownloaditDownloadit
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8