Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world  (Read 36195 times)

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: First Earth, online wilderness survival in a sandbox world
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 04:39:30 am »

zehive > i'm not sure but maybe there will be pve combat. I think the idea of disabling theft, murder and all the bad things is interesting, too many of those sandbox titles come pre-packaged with "open world pvp" = griefer heaven.

I mean, those pvp games certainly have their own appeal, but sometimes you just want to do your stuff without worrying about omnicidal maniacs going on a rampage. You say "I'm exploring new land... why? I'm scouting out another city.. why?" well you could also say "I'm killing people...why ? stealing their shit... why ?"

The answer to both is "because it's fun" (to the person doing it). So basically the game creator is saying "i want for builders, crafters, social people, explorers, harversters, to have fun". Maybe you're not one of these, but then, hey maybe it just means this game isnt for you. Just like EVE online's PVP isn't for "carebears".

That's how i see it anyways. I also think that small doses of pvp can create more involvment and interest towards the game, because there's the drama and tension of losing something and beating your enemies, but i don't see how you can allow pvp without opening the gates to all the griefers and maniacs.

But this game has the benefit of starting everyone off naked with no skills or tools, so it seems. This makes it DIFFICULT to get the items required for ruining the game for other people. I'm going to go ahead and cite wurm online.. this is a game where people think that because they're simple farmers they're dead... but they aren't. To be dangerous you need a blade, you need armor, you need a horse. These are not simple acquisitions gotten through NPCs and some gold. These are hard earned items. Never once in Wurm was I killed by an omnicidal maniac because those DONT EXIST in those games. The only time I ever died in friendly territory was to PvE and maybe TWICE I died to well skilled, well trained warriors with IRL years of frontline fighting experience and training, supplied by their kingdom. And they were using a character mechanic overpowered at the time and were eventually caught and killed. PERMANENTLY.

I just think it would be a serious shame for a game with this much potential and large scope to cut out a huge portion of human history and development. So many things exist today because of the need to protect oneself, or ones nation. Not to mention, what would be the need of nations any more? Noone needs protecting, noones rights are going to be infringed upon. No need for government, no need for cities really even. Just small towns of people playing caveman farmville and some poor sods like me off exploring

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 04:43:17 am »

Quick question: Does anyone know if this will be like Minecraft/Terraria/other when iot comes to metals, so people who like to explore can prospect for metal and earn money and supplies from the people living in little towns?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 06:35:21 am »

The only time I ever died in friendly territory was to PvE and maybe TWICE I died to well skilled, well trained warriors with IRL years of frontline fighting experience and training, supplied by their kingdom.
Wait what.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:14 am »

The only time I ever died in friendly territory was to PvE and maybe TWICE I died to well skilled, well trained warriors with IRL years of frontline fighting experience and training, supplied by their kingdom.
Wait what.
what....

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 08:23:11 am »

Never once in Wurm was I killed by an omnicidal maniac because those DONT EXIST in those games.

I don't know about Wurm because i didnt play it more than a day or two, but i heard stories of such players in Haven&Hearth (which i didnt play for long either), and basically it seems that any open world pvp game ends up so that if you want to do anything outside of the protected zones, you need to bring a large enough group with you and disposable equipment. I'm thinking of darkfall, eve online, and xsyon.

So many things exist today because of the need to protect oneself, or ones nation. Not to mention, what would be the need of nations any more? Noone needs protecting, noones rights are going to be infringed upon. No need for government, no need for cities really even. Just small towns of people playing caveman farmville and some poor sods like me off exploring

Real life nations work because the risk is much higher for criminals : jail, death, etc...
Even with permadeath and in-game jails, people know they are playing a game and they can always roll a new character, change their IP, or whatever.

You call it caveman farmville but the game isnt out yet, we have no idea what it's going to play like, and really i can assure you that you can remove pvp and still have a fun game, take for instance ATITD and Glitch. You can also create non-violent ways for the players to compete with each other, and keep the game challenging.

Edit : oh also, about the difficulty and risk associated with player-killing, i have two counter arguments : first, the creator of First Earth specified that "hard skill" (=the skill of the actual human behind the computer) will be the most important factor, which means there would be little to no progression lost when you die, and second, in those games it's not rare to find pvp/pk characters funded by a pve/crafting alt.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:40:35 am by Sirian »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 10:37:32 am »

Heh...I remember utterly unrestricted PvP on the original Asheron's Call. It was like something out of Lord of the Rings. The moment you spawned into the world, there were half a dozen or so griefers 10+ levels higher than you waiting to kill you on entry. Did I mention that in AC, when you died you left a random item behind on your corpse? And you respawned at a known static location, which was also utterly camped by griefers.

About your only hope to get a character established in any way was:
A. Create your character at 4am or so, when server traffic was lightest and hopefully you might spawn in unnoticed. Then you ran into the wilderness and hid, subsisting off rat kills for weeks unti you were at least lvl 5 or 6 and might have a fighting chance.
B. Hope that you spawned in during a period when the spawn points were being patrolled by some of the self-appointed "good" guys who regularly tried to sweep the newbie area of griefers. Unfortunately, they tended to be outnumbered and there were lvl 100 griefers who would kill them all just for the lolz.

I tried for about 30 minutes before disconnecting and leaving a piece of my belief in humanity lying bleeding on that server.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »

I want to know if this can have a Singleplayer mode. I've had far more fun in minecraft by myself than on any server.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 09:36:43 pm »

So the Developers is planning on having P2P. $10/month. That's no big hit. He wants a free trial but doesn't know how to implement it without having the griefers ruining everyone's hard work and still letting them experience the full game.
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:15 pm »

Aww count me out :( parents wont spend any money online ->:/

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »

Dammit, I've never played a game with a subscription, it just seems like a huge money pit to me. Just let me give you 30$ and give me the damn game.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 10:38:57 pm »

Well, I guess count me out, too. I have subscriptions to nothing! Except the interwebs. And my cell phone. And a few other things. But nothing else!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:32 pm »

bye

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:36 pm »

Yeah, can't really spare an extra 10$ a month. I'm out.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:18 pm »

I used subscription games for a while, so it does not bother me. Assuming the devs run the servers, with a game this size, the devs really do need constant income from the players (think of the cost of the servers!), or it, very simply, runs out of money. No way to implement F2P either, as this style of game does not really support this idea. With F2P a common thing nowadays, this is a major disadvantage. If it runs by private servers, this removes the need for constant income.
...Said Bloxace.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »

I mIght take my runescape membership to get this

Rip goat, more loli
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8