Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Splitting the tick: The science of build order  (Read 9479 times)

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
Re: Splitting the tick: The science of build order
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 02:45:02 pm »

rather than just the outlet space,  what about the middle layers of the stack?
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »

Excuse me, I was incorrect-- eventually, a dwarf working in the 0-tick magma tile began bleeding, and losing all of his fat.  (I tested with temp both on and off, and may have missed some effects if I didn't do things exactly the same under both conditions.)  If people still are interested in dwarven liposuction, I believe this represents a relatively safe and easy way to burn the fat off of dwarven bodies.  (Note that the affected dwarf's clothes had already rotted off, so you might want to be a little careful regarding worn items).  Further research ideas:

a) Will 0-tick water extinguish fires?
b) Can you bring water to the top of a pump stack in freezing conditions by building top-to-bottom?  (Such a system should be a dead-simple hail generator.)
c) Can you pump magma through the same space that you pump water, at the same time or rather on alternating ticks, without creating obsidian?  (Such a system might be useful for freeze-proof pump stacks.)

I've designed, but not yet built, a device that I think is novel, dwarfy, and effective, based on build-order principles: the magma curtain.  Edit: But it doesn't work, so I've put all of my discussion of it inside spoiler tags.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

rather than just the outlet space,  what about the middle layers of the stack?

I tested a two-pump stack.  In my stack, magma spent a fraction of a tick in the tile I was examining-- it was neither present at the beginning of the tick nor the end of the tick.  I expect the results from the two-pump stack to apply to a stack of any height.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 06:27:20 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 03:32:45 pm »

I've built one of those synchronized pumpstacks by Hussel a while back, can't remember if I had reported that in better pumpstack thread.
A goblin in the intermediate levels and a wooden axle I've put there didn't last long. Interesting part is that only diagonal wall tiles were marked as warm.
As for fps, this design definitely pumps the magma faster, resulting in less temperature calculations if those aren't carried out all the time.

Edit: Answer to Nil's ninja post:
When trying to build an aboveground magma teleportation system I've had minor fun, because of absence of walls. My guess would be that flowing is calculated when liquid is placed.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:42:53 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:23:22 pm »

Hmm, if that's all true, you could make a 2-wide hallway with pumps pushing magma into the hallway, and 0-tick pumps pulling it out.  Pressurized reservoirs would allow for constant flow, effectively keeping anything in the hallway in a quantum magma burn - both burned and yet not actually inside any magma.  This may suffice to burn off fat and clothing and lightly simmer goblins.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 06:00:50 pm »

A magma curtain like that might be a great way to remove contaminants too, if they just burn right off. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 06:30:26 pm »

A goblin in the intermediate levels and a wooden axle I've put there didn't last long. Interesting part is that only diagonal wall tiles were marked as warm.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that's true of mine as well.

When trying to build an aboveground magma teleportation system I've had minor fun, because of absence of walls. My guess would be that flowing is calculated when liquid is placed.

Yeah, my design doesn't work, suggesting either water is deciding to flow inside of 1 tick, or else that my upper pump isn't teleporting water into the bottom of the reservoir and thus getting blocked.  Further research needed, I suppose.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 09:51:43 pm »

So to confirm, 0-tick magma stacks still incur an FPS penalty of temperature updates?
0-tick magma stack with expanded T-reservoir to avoid the temperature recalculations = fast magma movement without FPS hit from temps, though, right?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 10:24:47 pm »

The Dwarf Fortress forums really need an official stamp that can be issued to threads of significant and/or greater science, such as this one.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2012, 12:22:44 am »

Yeah, I ought to give credit where it's due.  In my case, I first discovered the idea that build order affects pump operation on Hussell's wiki page.  All I've done are confirming experiments, as well as, maybe, put together a somewhat cohesive theory of build order.  The theory was probably obvious to some people.  To me, though, build order used to be a collection of disparate facts, and now I feel like I understand it as a unified thing.

This. I knew some of these from reading the wiki, but now I understand why it happens, which should make using them a lot easier.
Pages: 1 [2]