Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friendly Weremonitor?  (Read 4422 times)

Tmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Friendly Weremonitor?
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:56:39 pm »

Playing standard LNP DF 34.05:

I had a goblin ambush sitting outside of my moat with my drawbridge rasied, harassing all my workers causing all kinds of crap to be cancelled. I'm a noob and this is the first fortress I've survived past 70 dwarves or so so I spent extra time trying to kill these goblins without lowering my bridge when all of the sudden, a weremonitor appears -- However, I accidentally skip through the screen too fast but realized I skipped some kind of warning without realizing its a weremonitor:

Then, he changes into a goblin without me noticing.

What happened next was too fast for me to really comprehend at the time. I pause the game and go to the units screen to check out what I missed. Under Other is a list of the goblin invaders and this other "goblin" with a label beside it saying friendly! I am pumped and want to see wtf is about to happen. This guy starts kicking goblin ass while my military is off getting equipment. I am watching the glorious details unfold when he just disappears and I spend a few too many seconds with the game unpaused looking for him and i am too late, he drowns in my moat  :-\. Thankfully he weakened them enough for me to lower my bridge and take them out with ultra n00b militia +war dogs.

Pretty cool event overall but I was wondering, have any of you guys had a menacing looking monster show up with a warning and turn out friendly? Or is the friendly tag some kind of trick to cause more FUN?

TL;DR Friendly Weremonitor turns Goblin, helps me out, drowns, and I'm not sure if he was really friendly or just an enemy of my enemy.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly Weremonitor?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:36:25 am »

Enemy of an enemy. He just got to the goblins before your Dwarves. Werebeasts are enemies of everything exlcuding other were-beasts of the same type.
EDIT: Read through the thread again and it seems to be the whole "animal man becoming friendly" thing. Bascially enemies of your civ kill another different enemy of your civ (ie an animalman attacking and killing a fb) and they become friendly. Assumedly Dwarves really belive in the whole enemy of an enemy is my friend thing.
It may even be that the werecreature was changing tags since he was now fleeing from your fortress and he was just fighting the Goblins in self-defence as he tried to run pass.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:41:27 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Tmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »

If it was in fact the "animal man becoming friendly thing" do you think he would have still massacred my dwarfs if I would have let him in?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 08:03:52 pm »

You should have done !!science!! to him.

But drowning him in the moat is good too. Level 1 science! achieved.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:12 pm »

"the enemy of my enemy is my enemies enemy, nothing more, nothing less"

You've established that werebeasts do drown so you get a !!science!! point. It's a shame you didn't get a chance to weaponise him as I'd guess weremonitors would be pretty good in combat.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:37 pm »

If it was in fact the "animal man becoming friendly thing" do you think he would have still massacred my dwarfs if I would have let him in?

He would've been benign :(

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 08:34:30 pm »

Funny thing about random monsters behaving weirdly. I once got a friendly ogre in a goblin siege. Distracted them, at the very least.

Anyway, this
EDIT: Read through the thread again and it seems to be the whole "animal man becoming friendly" thing. Bascially enemies of your civ kill another different enemy of your civ (ie an animalman attacking and killing a fb) and they become friendly. Assumedly Dwarves really belive in the whole enemy of an enemy is my friend thing.

sums it up, in my opinon. You just happened to find a realy, realy good fighter out of it. Now, onto the quest for a friendly werecreature that can be unleashed at the pull of a lever...
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Tmo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:22 pm »

Wish I could have caught him but he pushed the gobbos into all my loaded cage traps first. Oh well, till next time! The resulting punishment to said goblins lead ultimately to my downfall.

I decided to facilitate battle between a giant wolverine, giant coati, and the gobblins, but discovered none of my new immigrants could complete a job without being interrupted, and strangely the battle between the wolverine and goblins never ended and lasted so long everyone had lists of scars. All my dwarfs starved and or went insane thanks to tantrum spirals and trapped themselves into a room opposite the one with goblins in it while my military could not pick up bolts to shoot them through the fortifications I had carved.

Should I reembark on this fortress? Is there any chance the goblins, giant wolverine & coati are still alive?

Edit: I reembarked on the fortress and there are now "friendly" goblins outside of the room I initially had. Seems to be about the same number I had captured with the giant wolverine. Maybe they killed the giant wolverine and turned friendly because he was considered an enemy?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:14:22 pm by Tmo »