Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cavern Safety  (Read 1900 times)

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
Cavern Safety
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »

Will my dionite walls and iron door with lever stop flyers from flying up and demolishing my fortress from the cavern i found?
In the grim darkness of DF, there can be only FUN

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Cavern Safety
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 12:19:01 am »

Walls are functionally indestructible, although if you leave holes in the walls for fliers to get over, that's still a problem.

If you did something like repeatedly dig up/down stairs and hit the roof of a cavern, you can always just dig a pair of stairs right next to your up/down stair that are just a down and an up stair so that it doesn't pierce the cavern roof, and then channel the up/down stair piercing the cavern roof away, then building a floor in the place of the hole.

If you are simply asking if a locked door will stop everything from getting through, the answer is no - Forgotten Beasts, among others, are building destroyers, and will take down doors, and may be fliers as well.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:32:55 am »

Arm my guard dwarves with iron and hope for the best?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:08:44 am »

Essentially, the only perfectly safe thing to do is to wall it off completely.  Of course, what fun is that?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:17:40 am »

Which one, Fun or fun?
Im looking for both since my last fortress got screw by a bunch of necros at 30 people, and my milita didnt move to close the dang bridge :P
This situation is starting to look like a boatmurder situation (Without the serveral rulers and elephants.)

Edit : FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUuu- I just started a perfict plan to get down and through safly, then suddnly
You have discovered a deep pit.
I can see the Super fun
And the elephants, ELEPHANTS!!!
Or do deep pits not spawn Super fun?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:54:10 pm by Tolisk »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:42:47 am »

Unless you've got some wacky modding or a wackier (bugged) embark.....

Deep pits are just well, pits. Nothing special.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 02:47:56 am »

Thought i read once that Deep pits, after being discovered would send a wave  of fun shortly after you discovered the pit.
Guess i was wrong, and i can continue my plan to obtain a shiny magma forge/smelter.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:52:07 pm by Tolisk »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 05:18:49 am »

nope deep pits don't spawn demons, actually demons were removed some time ago so now you can just dig out everything problem free.
including special metals found deep underground. way better in my opinion, have fun.

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 12:29:27 pm »

I just read that you have to find SFP to find Super fun, and the Super fun things were called an Eerie Deep Pit and it was what spawned Super fun.
Safe :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:53:23 pm by Tolisk »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »

These are all spoilers.  Please mark them as spoilers.  Do not talk about the HFS or the clowns without either spoilers or terms that disguise the clowns, like clowns.

Also, there is a forum expressly for gameplay questions, when you have gameplay questions, use the gameplay questions forum.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Tolisk

• Bay Watcher
  • [ANGRY_MAMMOTH=TRUE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:53:35 pm »

Ill do that