Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ok, problem seizing caravan (help!)  (Read 2254 times)

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ok, problem seizing caravan (help!)
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:54:39 pm »

So there's a caravan on my map that is just packing up. I had traded to them many bracelets, then afterwards my barony forbade the export of them (this is where my save is, can't revert to before this). I CAN'T let those bracelets leave, or my barony will sentence about 15 dwarves to prison, and I have only 2 cells (rehab cells are hard to make/take awhile).

So, I need to prevent the caravan from leaving the map (or just the bracelets). I cannot trade them back (can't seize them either, it's the dwarves, and, they are already done trading)), and I can't wall them in w/o side effects (eventually they'll all go berserk).

1) Will caravan guards ever go berserk? If not, then walling them in is safe, because I can release the guards later and the stuff will be left behind, if they do go berserk, I can't (I would if it was my last option) because I couldn't retrieve the lag-causing stuff.

2) Any other ways to get rid of the bracelets before they leave the map?
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, problem seizing caravan (help!)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:58:22 pm »

Kill the noble? It's either him or the caravan. Take your pick.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:01:14 pm »

If they are exposed to enough danger or enough of them die they will leave behind what they are carrying as trade goods.  If you flood your trade depot or just catch the caravans in a large enough water flow they should relinquish all their goods.

Also death by cave in isn't your fault. ;)

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »

Disable dwarven justice by removing your justice-appointed nobles.

Or just kill the baron. The former will be faster though.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »

Were the bracelets in bins prior to being traded away? And did you trade the bins themselves? If the answer to the first question is "yes" and the second "no," you're in luck: nobody actually brought those bracelets to the depot, instead having brought bins which aren't being exported, so no one will be punished. Even if you traded away the bins themselves, only up to one dwarf will be punished per bin. If one dwarf brought all the banned-for-export items to the depot, only that one dwarf will be punished, and, reiterating this, if they brought the bins to the depot and the bins themselves aren't being traded away, nobody will be punished because nobody was marked as having brought the bracelets to the depot.

This is why dwarves with preferred item types that you want to export are undesirable, however.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 06:18:13 pm »

So I can't cave-in the depot, my metal industry is underneath it (>.<), and bedrooms under that (next time, I'm putting it in it's own flood-able room away from everything else). Also, yes and no, some of the bracelets were in bins, but ik how many dwarves will be punished because they already had been (I found out about what happened, and reverted the save to before they were condemned), it's about 15.

I've walled it off, but 2 guards are outside the depot. Once the caravan is supposed to leave, will they? Again, also can caravan guards go berserk?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:21:31 pm »

The guards will follow the traders.  If the traders don't leave, neither will the guards.

Guards, traders, and trader pack animals can all go berserk.

If you order your military to kill the traders, justice resulting from the bracelets will rapidly become the least of your concerns.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »

usually the traders go berserk, and the guards kill them.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 06:24:36 pm »

Kill the noble? It's either him or the caravan. Take your pick.
Or not. Seeing as there's only two cells/chains, only two of the Dwarfs get imprisoned at a time. Either the rest have their sentence postponed, or reduced to a beating. Take your battle axe.

Mind you, a hammerer might make that beating a bit heavier than just some punches.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 06:48:40 pm »

Ok, I've constructed walls under the depot floor (and I'm making a smash-able depot elsewhere in the fort for next time...). I have all merchants, their animals, and guards walled off, most will be crushed later, the 2 outside the depot are both melee, and I have them in a room with fortifications. The berserking spiral has also started, so while my dwarves are building the floor that will smash the merchants, I can watch the fun in the depot.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 06:50:50 pm »

Make sure they're all berserk before you move in with the military... Or else.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »

Make sure they're all berserk before you move in with the military... Or else.

But there's more !!FUN!! the other way...

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 07:30:20 pm »

Would it not work if you just deconstructed the trade depot?
Though that is the most boring and undwarfy method.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 07:52:36 pm »

Either build temporary jail cells (just build a bunch of chains in some room), and upgrade the jail as you go.  Or remove the captain of the guard, see who gets sentenced.  Build a nice jail with enough chains, then reappoint your captain of the guard.  Although I think violating export bans results in beatings anyway.  just make sure to give your captain a wooden training spear or something useless.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Sindri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 07:54:05 pm »

Guards don't go berserk.
Pages: [1] 2