Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Any tips for attacking a necromancer tower?  (Read 10654 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Any tips for attacking a necromancer tower?
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:37:26 pm »

I've been having trouble trying to get into this necromancer tower. I really want to be a necromancer, so I can pretty much kill everything, but I'm having trouble actually getting far enough inside.

The tower has basically 3 floors. The first one, ferociously guarded by several necromancers and an undead swarm. Really small sized tower, but the undead fill the room to the brim. Then, there is a staircase leading up, a small hallway going to the other side of the tower, then the next floor pretty much contains the holy grail. the problem is that when entering the next floor, it opens a hatch which allows all the undead inside to curb-stomp me, and I'm getting really frustrated because I lose almost all of my party on the first floor.

I've already tried to hide and throw sand. that works somewhat, one thing I wonder is that if I kill the necromancers on the first floor, then leave the are and travel, then return to the tower right after, will there be the other necromancers randomly distributed? (I'd take all the corpses and leave them in the woods.)

And any other tips for storming this place please. (no were or vampire exploiting, too hard to find.)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Any tips for attacking a necromancer tower?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:06:06 pm »

lead any undead to a place where the necromancers can't see you anymore. They only reanimate within line of sight.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:43:45 pm »

Vampires/werebeasts = hard to find? HAHAHAHAHAHAH. And when people say 'I don't want to exploit cheesy stuff to do this', what they tend to mean is 'I want the cheapest possible tactic that isn't really cheap, so I can feel like I just barely pulled it off instead of using every tool at my disposal cheesing.

So yeah, sneak in, unsneak, pull zeds outside and away from the tower, rinse and repeat until most/all are gone, then go whack the necromancers. Because that is certainly not cheesy at all and would certainly be defined as 'attacking'. Otherwise, put in the work to get to the point where you can wade through the zombies, take out the necros, and make it out alive with a book or slab.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:09:52 pm »

Vampires/werebeasts = hard to find? HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

The last several worlds I've played in didn't have werebeasts. They don't always survive worldgen.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:11:56 pm »

what, and have to work for it????

I got a few adventurers who would pull it off. wrestlers, dodgers and shield armor more than proficient. Interesting Idea.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:52:53 pm »

Vampires/werebeasts = hard to find? HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

The last several worlds I've played in didn't have werebeasts. They don't always survive worldgen.

If you've got the default number of curses, and you let the world run for a decent length of time, you'll almost always have a ton of them. The only worlds I've ever genned that had few/no werebeasts are the 150 year old ones that I use for fortress mode. Heck, one of the main reasons why people were having so much trouble genning large/long worlds in .34.xx was because of the obscene number of interactions caused by the massive werebeast boom.

3. Run Resize Enable

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:58 pm »

Wait, where did I say anything about exploits? It's because I'm too lazy.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

Just sneak in, read the slab, then take down all the necros once their minions are friendly. Increase you sneak skill to legendary beforehand by walking everywhere and sneaking. Bonus points; hold a crutch, and swim everywhere, too. If you can vamp first, all the better.

You need necromancy to get anywhere in a large world. Living companions are useless as bogeymen repellent, due to their habit of drowning in rivers, chasing after every single critter you walk past like an excited puppy, and just generally sodding off and going missing at every opportunity. Also dying, and not having the deceny to get up again afterwards.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 02:47:26 am »

Wait, where did I say anything about exploits? It's because I'm too lazy.
Hell if you are that lazy you could hit up the dfmodding to find a easy "cripple enemies" mod and slap that on to yourself.
or find a necro tower embark on top of it lock the doors(eminently) then tell your dwarves to dig under and cave in the building.
boom dead necro/zombies and all the books you can read this is the best tactic for the lazy man wanting a good book.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 02:51:36 am by Rumrusher »
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 04:45:56 pm »

1) Kill Vampire
2) Drink Vampire's Blood
3) Be Vampire
4) Go to Tower
5) ?
6) PROFIT!

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:42 pm »

But then you'd only do it to kill the necromancer, since you couldn't become on yourself.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:54:29 pm »

But then you'd only do it to kill the necromancer, since you couldn't become on yourself.
well you go in to steal their books to store them in a lair.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:58:25 pm »

Vampires can become necromancers IIRC, it's just that they can't become werebeasts.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:21 pm »

Vampires can become necromancers. The conflict is between vampire/werebeast curses, as those exclude each other.

3. Run Resize Enable

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 09:27:09 am »

I thought there were 3 syndromes which excluded each other..? Oh wait, mummifying is a thing, too.
And that probably means my necromancer can actually become a werebeast. Just need to find a suitable one.
Or, do necromancer vampires still need to drink blood?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:37:58 am by Intro1827 »
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.
Pages: [1] 2