Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I need to build stairs that burn away in lava, will Coke work?  (Read 4759 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mainly, will constructions of any sort burn away when fully submersed in lava? And is coke lava-friendly?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: I need to build stairs that burn away in lava, will Coke work?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:33:43 pm »

No to the first question and no to the second.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 04:48:15 pm »

If you need to destruct something, use a support pillar.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:20:46 pm »

Constructions like stairs and walls are indestructible no matter what material. Use a support.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:14:49 pm »

you could stockpile some coke on the stairs and forbid it there. I think it ought to catch on fire and burn in place, rendering it a fiery but passable staircase. Might be fun.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »

coke is not lava friendly. if the objects in question only touch the lava for a moment, they catch fire and burn practically forever, so you would have a burning item. when a dwarf comes to haul it, the dwarf in question bursts into flame. the flaming object is just the first in a long line of hot !!FUN!!

im not sure if things like walls will catch fire like that though.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »

coke is not lava friendly. if the objects in question only touch the lava for a moment, they catch fire and burn practically forever, so you would have a burning item. when a dwarf comes to haul it, the dwarf in question bursts into flame. the flaming object is just the first in a long line of hot !!FUN!!

And this is why burning artifacts left out for kobolds is considered so much goodness. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:52 pm »

The fact that you don't know, means you need to spend more time in a volcano.

Go get your magmacation and come back with your diploma.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:34:36 am »

I find this gameplay behaviour utterly displeasing and counter-Fun. It would create great potential for Fun if construction materials followed laws of thermodynamics, in that granite doors or wooden stairs, for example, would slowly melt away when they come in contact with magma. This would force the player to memorize the magma-safety of various stones, or at least force the player to experiment with them to find out their magma-tolerance. Who are we to say no to magma-based experiments?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:37:04 am »

I find this gameplay behaviour utterly displeasing and counter-Fun. It would create great potential for Fun if construction materials followed laws of thermodynamics, in that granite doors or wooden stairs, for example, would slowly melt away when they come in contact with magma. This would force the player to memorize the magma-safety of various stones, or at least force the player to experiment with them to find out their magma-tolerance. Who are we to say no to magma-based experiments?

all that you say is true of furniture: doors, grates, etc, they will burn and melt,
constructions will not, you can run magma through walls built of ice. sometimes they will turn to walls of water, but they will never become actuzl water
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 02:49:13 am »

Consider that temperature checks already lag the game considerably just trying to test the condition of thousands of individual furniture items.  These temperature checks have to iterate through every item in the game to test their melting points against the current ambient temperature every few frames.

Now consider that there are typically several million wall tiles that would need to be checked if every map feature were vulnerable to melting.

That is why this doesn't happen in the game already.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:14 am »

Now consider that there are typically several million wall tiles that would need to be checked if every map feature were vulnerable to melting.

Or just check the ones that are in direct contact with lava at the moment. Why would they have to be checked constantly? Once magma enters a tile, do the check once and be done with it! No reason for constant checks. Also, I never suggested that every map feature should be checked for magma-safety. Just furniture and constructions.

all that you say is true of furniture: doors, grates, etc, they will burn and melt,

Not true. I have doors made of magma unsafe materials that hold back magma.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 09:20:03 am »

Not true. I have doors made of magma unsafe materials that hold back magma.
[/quote]

They'll hold until you open the door - if magma flows through a non-magam-safe door/floodgate/hatch etc then it will melt or burn or otherwise fail.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 10:11:58 am »

Or just check the ones that are in direct contact with lava at the moment. Why would they have to be checked constantly? Once magma enters a tile, do the check once and be done with it! No reason for constant checks. Also, I never suggested that every map feature should be checked for magma-safety. Just furniture and constructions.

This game is meant to have more than just magma causing temperature changes - nethercap trees, outside ambient temperature, anything that might go in in the future or will be modded in will change temperatures, and the game doesn't know what's in contact with what until it checks, and that's why everything gets checked periodically.

It's not the changes or the calculations that take up all the processor power in DF, it's looking at the data, trying to figure out what might need to have calculations that take up all the processor power.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 11:22:11 am »

This game is meant to have more than just magma causing temperature changes - nethercap trees, outside ambient temperature, anything that might go in in the future or will be modded in will change temperatures, and the game doesn't know what's in contact with what until it checks, and that's why everything gets checked periodically.

It's not the changes or the calculations that take up all the processor power in DF, it's looking at the data, trying to figure out what might need to have calculations that take up all the processor power.

Why couldn't the check be done as part of a magma flow or nethercap grow or season change action?
Pages: [1] 2