Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nothing Will Stay Dead!  (Read 3852 times)

Urist_McUristson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nothing Will Stay Dead!
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:31:39 pm »

My new map is in a Terrifying Evil biome, as I felt like trying a new challenge. What I didn't expect is that my entire map is reanimating. Extremly so. It seems to take a minute or two for the corpses to stand back up. It didn't seem too bad at first, I just organized my dwarves into a single squad and rush anything that got too close. This worked well untill a zombie dog tore out one of my dwaves throats, killing him instantly. And then that dwarf reanimated and killed my expedition leader. So now my remaining dwarfs are hiding in the hole they have dug. I need a way to stop the corpses from rising again or to get rid of them, before all my dwarfs are zombies.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Will Stay Dead!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:33:03 pm »

Atom smashing bodies is probably your best bet. Either that or dumping them in a 1 tile wide pit.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:37:51 pm »

Yeah, reanimating biomes are rather persistent, since you can reraise corpses, but can't yet pulp them.

A selection of ways to deal with those corpses:

• Encase them in ice.
  • Atom smash them.
  • Magma, possibly followed by obsidian casting.
  • Containment - either lock them behind doors, or chuck them in a pit. If it's in a pit, I find it works best if you have a retracting (not raising) drawbridge that you dump the corpses on, with the lever on the other side of a door. Put corpse on bridge, have hauler move outside room (to avoid fright/death by zombie), pull lever to dump corpse in zombie-pit, pull lever again to close zombie pit lid.

Hmm... anything I've missed?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »

any mod with a crematorium? Legend or Masterwork I think have them.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »

you need to get them there first.

Anyway, maybe you should have done some research into evil biomes, including the fact that threads like this pop up in discussion/questions every day.

In any case, remember this too: butchered animal hair and skin may reanimate. Not cured leather fortunately, but raw hides will. If you get to a biome such as yours. Kick out all the animals and close the doors. Don't leave anything open to the sky. Not only can some zombies fly, mist clouds can turn anyone caught in it in merciless unstoppable killers, rain can fall so heavily that it knocks dwarfs unconscious, etc, etc.

Be prepared to toss your dead in a pit, you don't want them walking around and they do not stay burried.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:07 pm »

Crematorium thread.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:23:09 pm »

Where's the fun in research? Much better to make terrible mistakes and then post about them on the forums for our amusement. Call me a wuss, but I'd much rather read about other people's terrifying embarks than try one myself.

Vic Romano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »

To solve raising dead on my areas with magma access I put little dump zones full of magma in every hall and area of the fort.  The lesson I learned a little too late to start was that if you forget to get rid of the ramp into the dump you can end up with a !!Zombie Yak!! running rampant in the fortress.

Tobias the Red

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 01:59:13 am »

How can i easily dump something into a pit?
Assigning a garbage dump zone doesn't work since you can't assign empty space to be a dump, and if i assign the bottom of the pit as a dump zone no one can reach it to dump the corpses. Can't assign bodies to a pit either.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 02:42:08 am »

I think that if your dump square is adjacent to a pit, it will be dump into the pit instead. Can someone confirm?

is the same is true for any stockpile btw?

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 04:28:09 am »

nope a garbage designation won't work for this....

no what you want to do is place a pond/pit Activity Zone over the hole so those dorfs know it's a pit and
not just a pothole. (i) from the main menu. then after it's set use (p) to make it a pit, and make sure active(a) is highlighted as well.

then go to orders and under Refuse option  (o)-(r) and tell them to auto-dump whatever is reanimating
or manually set the dump order on things you want chucked into THE PITS.

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:52:53 am »

Designate the empty space (top of the hole) AND 1 tile beside it as a garbage zone and the dorfs will automatically drop things down the hole for you. Just make it a few levels deep so they don't see what's lurking down there and drop their load. I keep mine covered with a hatch linked to a lever just in case.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 06:09:37 am »

Cage traps? Then transfer them to a "Storage Facility" with an emergency lever that opens it up. And hope that Urist McWalterPeck doesn't arrive...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 06:39:42 am »

and yes you can designate empty space as pit with the (i)

atom smahing any undead that dont need burial (eg anything but dwarf) is a good clean-up
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dansmithers

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TUNNEL_SNAKES:RULE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 10:00:24 am »

I made a vanilla crematorim mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104609.msg3095863#msg3095863
Siggy Siggy Hole!

Well, let's say you're going away from Earth on huge spaceship and suddenly shit goes wrong and you have Super Mutants. Social Experiments prepared them for this.
Pages: [1] 2